Honeymoon Discussions

1st vacation post honeymoon

This isn’t really a honeymoon question but a vacation question. 
Future husband and I agreed this weekend to go on at least one vacation every year. We want to stay about a week in the destination. 
We have a “bucket list” to visit every state together. 
We would be going in spring or fall. 

What are some suggestions? 

Re: 1st vacation post honeymoon

• What is at the top of your list? What is close to you? Do you enjoy camping or are you strictly hotel people?
  • We need to know where you are located, too.  This question is way too open.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have tons of ideas, but I'm mostly a backpack/activity/rough it a little traveler. Let us know your travel style, budget & where you're leaving from!
  • If you plan to have kids, get all the big, international destinations where the time zones are really different out of the way first. Those trips because very difficult, if not impossible, which children.

If you have a bucket list and you're only taking one trip a year, I would just start there. I'm sure that'll get you through at least 2025. And by then, your tastes may change.
    *********************************************************************************

• This isn’t really a honeymoon question but a vacation question. 
    Future husband and I agreed this weekend to go on at least one vacation every year. We want to stay about a week in the destination. 
    We have a “bucket list” to visit every state together. 
    We would be going in spring or fall. 

What are some suggestions? 
    H and I travel a lot. We are typically away for a weekend once a month and then 3-5 week long trips a year. 6 years ago we found it hard to figure out how to prioritize. We made a list of all the places we wanted to go (as outrageous as we wanted). We then individually ranked the places and then Excel took our rankings and averaged them and then we had our list prioritized. Whatever is next in short or long is what we plan for. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It’s tough to fully recommend without knowing your budget, but if you’re planning on traveling in the fall I love New Hampshire- the foliage is stunning and there’s lots to do (outdoorsy activities, scenic train rides, quaint mom&pop shops).  

For the spring I recommend Washington DC for their Cherry Blossom Festival.  

I know you didn’t mention winter travel, but late January-early Feb is a great time to come to NYC.  Broadway week offers 2-for-1 tickets to most shows and Restaurant week has some usually pricey restaurants offering meals at terrific prices.  And if there’s a blizzard nothing closes.

(Sorry for all the east coast recs- I clearly have to get to other parts of the country myself!)
  • My fav Us cities are: Los Angeles/area, SAN Fran, Portland, Seattle, Austin, Jackson Hole, Nashville, NYC, Boston. 
  • My husband and I travel a lot. These are some of the trips we’ve taken since we’ve been married:

Sailing trip from Hilton Head to CT
    Dominican Republic 
    Puerto Rico
    Montauk
    Killington Vermont 
    Paris & Amsterdam 
    Italy 
    Western Caribbean cruise 

and we’re headed to Portugal in August. 
  • What are you likes / dislikes? Do you like beaches / relaxing?   Moving and hiking?  

Depending on where you are I would push for the longest flights and time changes as @southernbelle0915 said - do all of those before kids.

Also, manage your expectations.  Life changes and times change.   I'd move the easy local trips for when you do have kids.

DH and I haven't done a ton of traveling but for us, a week on the Cape is really easy since we can get to the Woods Hole end in a little over an hour.   If you lived in California that's not so easy. 

Also, plenty of destinations can be made fancy or less expensive.  As an example Disney has 3 tiers of resorts.     You'll find different options at each level. 
  • I found that there were different times in our lives where traveling destinations were less flexible.  When we had children, no traveling until they were toilet trained!  Really, age 5 seemed a good place to start.  We had no relatives to help with any childcare.  We went to National Parks, State Parks, and Niagra Falls.  Kids enjoyed it, and we did, too.  Disney Resorts came later, when the kids had better memory and thinking skills.  Mandatory family visits took up a lot of DH's leave time.
    After kids got to college age, we could travel without them without the fear of them killing each other while we were gone.  DH has big travel anxiety.  We went to a few western National Parks, but he was such a mess!  Worries about everything from bed bugs to gas mileage, not to mention that damn Garmen!  Cruises work best for him.  We went all over the world and he didn't fuss, at least, once he got out of the airport.  Cruises are good for people who want to see a lot of different places in a short time without worrying about food and lodging.  They are cheaper than land trips, too.
    People who want in depth experiences with local culture probably wouldn't like cruising.  My son prefers a backpack and a rail pass through Europe.  His ideal destinations would be Italy and Spain.  (I loved Spain!)
    Without knowing your interests, it is hard to recommend a destination.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • This does seem a bit vague without knowing your interests.  Consider visiting the places further away, and higher up on your list sooner rather than later.  Some people have mentioned kids, but sometimes life changes in other ways and it may not be as easy to travel.  Also, have you thought about places outside the states you may be interested in visiting?