Wedding Woes

Fri-yay!

Re: Fri-yay!

• I totally forgot about Kids R Us
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Oh no!  I was just reading on Yahoo that Toys R' Us might be closing ALL of its US stores.  I know they've been in trouble for a long time.  But still, the end of an era (sniff, sniff).
    It IS sad and the end of an era. 

My mom worked for Kids R' Us from close to it's inception through the time the stand-alone operation went out of business and was enveloped into TRU stores.  We moved here to Indy because they transferred her here. 

My mom still has TON of Geoffrey Giraffes that she received during her tenure there and the kiddo has a TRU duffel bag that my mom got as a corporate gift and gave to me.  

We were truly "Toys R' Us" kids growing up! 

To be fair, not having kids myself, the last time I was in a Toys R' Us was about 16 years ago for a friend's baby shower.

But I have such fond memories from when I was kid.  Growing up, if the parents said we were going to Toys R' Us, that was an exciting and happy day!  Not quite "we're going to Disneyland" happy, but not too far off from that.  And it was extra fun because our dad would be as excited as we were to see the new toys and games that had come out, lol.

But, they can't keep the lights running on "fond memories of days gone by".  I just feel sad for the generations of kids who will never know the utter joy of entering a mega-store of nothing but toys and games.

Hmmm...I wonder if they will slash prices on what is left?  I could use a bike.  And...ummm...only being 5'0" tall.  Pretty much all adult bikes are too high for me and kid bikes are the way to go, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Oh no!  I was just reading on Yahoo that Toys R' Us might be closing ALL of its US stores.  I know they've been in trouble for a long time.  But still, the end of an era (sniff, sniff).

My mom worked for Kids R' Us from close to it's inception through the time the stand-alone operation went out of business and was enveloped into TRU stores.  We moved here to Indy because they transferred her here. 

My mom still has TON of Geoffrey Giraffes that she received during her tenure there and the kiddo has a TRU duffel bag that my mom got as a corporate gift and gave to me.  

To be fair, not having kids myself, the last time I was in a Toys R' Us was about 16 years ago for a friend's baby shower.

But I have such fond memories from when I was kid.  Growing up, if the parents said we were going to Toys R' Us, that was an exciting and happy day!  Not quite "we're going to Disneyland" happy, but not too far off from that.  And it was extra fun because our dad would be as excited as we were to see the new toys and games that had come out, lol.

But, they can't keep the lights running on "fond memories of days gone by".  I just feel sad for the generations of kids who will never know the utter joy of entering a mega-store of nothing but toys and games.

Hmmm...I wonder if they will slash prices on what is left?  I could use a bike.  And...ummm...only being 5'0" tall.  Pretty much all adult bikes are too high for me and kid bikes are the way to go, lol.

I'm not a huge fan of TRU. We have a tendency to buy the same stuff at other stores with better customer service. For instance, I wanted to get my kid a particular Lego set for his birthday but TRU didn't do home delivery for it, only in store, and the nearest store is a half hour away, so I ordered it from Indigo and it was here in two days, and I got him a book to go with it. 
  • I'm now working from home today.  DD has pink eye again.  It seems that she gets it after each round of vaccines.  Followed by me :(  Hoping to avoid it this time!

This weekend will be focused on getting meals cooked for my parents.  I even found a small corned beef brisket while at BJs last night, so I am going to attempt that for them. My mom makes it every year for St. Patty's Day, so at least I can keep that going for them!  Fingers crossed it comes out.  I'm going to do it in the IP, so as long as the recipe is a good one, I should be fine!

Pam - I had that happen once before.  We had switched from my insurance to my husband's.  I went to the wrong lab because I forgot to check.  My insurance did a one time payment for the lab work, after we called to ask about the bill.  It was also noted that if we did it again, it was completely on us.  It's worth a call!
  • mrsconn23 said:

The bolded reminds me of this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGzfrVqlxA
  • I don’t even remember the last time I went to TUS. 

I just spent the last last three hours ironing table clothes and napkins from our last big dinner. I’m over it. Next time I’m getting them dry cleaned. It’s not worth the savings. Makes me remember that time Williams-Sonoma had a giant tablecloth steamer/press for like $1500 and I thought “who needs that?” I do. I need that. 

I’m trying to decide what to make for dinner/meal prep the next few days. I’m torn between making a beef stout pie and spaghetti. Or maybe I’ll do both. Then I can freeze some food for later. I think I’ll make some bread, too. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Apparently my posts need to be approved now
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I had a long one and it got eaten. Check out six sisters stuff for freezer crockpot meals. Put marinade and meat in a ziploc and freeze. Add a steamer bag of veg and rice and you've got dinner. 
  • It is sad to see Toys R Us go.

I received phone calls from three recruiters in three states, all working for different agencies, about what appears to be the same job.
  • edited March 2018
    @Jen4948 that's interesting you got so many calls about possibly the same job. Is it one you would be interested in? Could you potentially play the recruiters off each other and maybe get more $$?

Toys R Us was a big part of my childhood. I'm bummed they're closing.

You guys. I don't know where this week went. Between losing power all last weekend and juggling three deadlines this week plus standing in as Director while my boss was out all week, I need all the wine. This weekend we are adulting to the max. I have an oil change tomorrow morning plus they need to look at my tires because I've been losing air frequently lately and the stupid tire pressure light in my dashboard is driving me nuts. Then tomorrow afternoon we are meeting with our accountant to do our taxes. Hopefully we will have time for fun & I would also like to get back to the gym this weekend. Especially because the new renovation at my company has a wall of candy I discovered this afternoon. 

• edited March 2018

For some reason the knot wouldn't let me post these in my previous post. Arrrghhh. Wall of candy, everyone. 
  • Omg I would both love and hate that wall of candy. 
  • Is that a tube of all pink starbursts @sparklepants41?! 

H has a candy wall at work, too. But it’s not that good. 
  • Omg!! I would never stop eating candy. It would definitely be a problem.
  • Is that a tube of all pink starbursts @sparklepants41?! 

H has a candy wall at work, too. But it’s not that good. 
    Yes. That tube is my weakness. 
  • That wall of candy would be my death, @sparklepants41
  • @sparklepants41, it looks like I can't. Once one of them hears that another has approached you (generic) about the same job, they immediately cut their contact short. Maybe they will contact me about another job, but they won't compete against each other to place the same candidate in the same job.
  • Jen4948 said:
    @sparklepants41, it looks like I can't. Once one of them hears that another has approached you (generic) about the same job, they immediately cut their contact short. Maybe they will contact me about another job, but they won't compete against each other to place the same candidate in the same job.
    That stinks, but makes sense. I had a fun vision of you holding an auction of sorts. 
  • Unfortunately, it's been my experience that if I tried to do that, everyone would blow me off and go on to other candidates. There's always another accountant with better credentials than mine available.
  • I have so much to do and very little motivation.  It doesn't help that my day started by dealing with an idiot.  We have exclusive rights to a county owned property - I had a tour there this morning.  The maintenance man interrupts by saying I don't want to interrupt, ends up knowing people in common with my prospective clients, I'm annoyed but whatever.  He then joins us on the tour - go away, and contradicts me on allowing tape on the walls- shut up.

Then, the cherry on the top - he then tells me he's going to start locking my office door for me.  I kindly explain that I have nothing of value there, and I don't even have a key.  I have to debate him for 5 minutes, including a demo of my key not working before he goes away.  Ugh!

Tonight is a girls night for a friends birthday and we have a wedding tomorrow.  I'm tired and just want to snuggle my pup and watch chick flicks.
    @kimmiinthemitten, can you report the maintenance man to the property management? That's what I think I would do.
  • @sparklepants41, so wait, free candy?

Yup! And we all get to send in suggestions for our favorites. 
    Why would you ever leave?

I mean, like, even at 5:00 o'clock?

Why would you ever leave?

I mean, like, even at 5:00 o'clock?
    I think that's part of the plan lol. But we work in Stabbyville, so there's reasons numbers 1-457 to leave. 

• For some reason the knot wouldn't let me post these in my previous post. Arrrghhh. Wall of candy, everyone. 

I am...flabbergasted.  I have never seen anything like that at an office.

I seriously work for the wrong company!  We're lucky we get free mediocre coffee, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @jen4948 I could, and the County would respond.  But the local course employees are close and seem to hate me, so that would probably hurt me more in the long run.

I'm going to try and manage the process better when he's there.
  • edited March 2018
    Sorry for not responding to all the good freezer meal suggestions, but I did lurk and use a bunch of them this weekend. We made a ton of lasagna and ready to heat sauce with meatballs, marinated meat, soups, chili and gumbo - ended up with about 40 meals! Thanks again for all the yummy ideas!
    We're gonna start doing that closer to end of April, so I'm kidnapping people's suggestions also ;)

edit
    I'm on the bump and I'm sure people will start posting freezer meals also, so @southernbelle0915 I'll keep you posted on some ideas that are given also :)