Chit Chat

**SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

12346»

Re: **SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

• kvruns said:
    OK why were they putting Deja and her mom on the couch and then all of a sudden Deja asks to go to her old room - I mean wouldn't that have been the first place to offer?  plus I assume they live in a big ass house so I'm surprised they wouldn't have more than 3 bedrooms.
    My thought would be that they figured Deja would want to be with her mum, or the mum wouldn't feel comfortable with Deja being away? Forgetting/Ignoring that Deja knows Beth & Randall
  • I was expecting that Randall and Beth would offer Deja and her mom an apartment in the building they just purchased. 

I think Deja's Mom started to feel like more and more of an outsider. And Deja, being a teenager and someone who has "slept on so many beds" is mad at her mom for the instability in her life. By asking to sleep in her old room, she pushed her mom away. It's still shitty that her mom just up and left without so much as a goodbye. 
  • I was expecting that Randall and Beth would offer Deja and her mom an apartment in the building they just purchased. 

I think Deja's Mom started to feel like more and more of an outsider. And Deja, being a teenager and someone who has "slept on so many beds" is mad at her mom for the instability in her life. By asking to sleep in her old room, she pushed her mom away. It's still shitty that her mom just up and left without so much as a goodbye. 
    I think this past episode showed the growth of Deja's family.  When her Mom first had her, so wasn't responsible, didn't listen to Grandma - Mom knew everything.  I think her leaving Deja is showing how she's growing up and realizing that she needs to sort out her life better than having a 12 year old take care of bills for her.  I see it more as leaving her kid in a better place so she can sort shit out.  

Deja's decision goes back to the foster sister told her that if she finds a good bed, hang on to it as long as you can.  Besides, every kids craves stability and expected outcomes.  I think she's just feeling conflicted over her need for stability and her loyalty to her mom.  

I think this past episode showed the growth of Deja's family.  When her Mom first had her, so wasn't responsible, didn't listen to Grandma - Mom knew everything.  I think her leaving Deja is showing how she's growing up and realizing that she needs to sort out her life better than having a 12 year old take care of bills for her.  I see it more as leaving her kid in a better place so she can sort shit out.  

Deja's decision goes back to the foster sister told her that if she finds a good bed, hang on to it as long as you can.  Besides, every kids craves stability and expected outcomes.  I think she's just feeling conflicted over her need for stability and her loyalty to her mom.  
    That's true. I still worry about how Deja will take the news her mom left. Or maybe she won't and surprised - or she'll be relieved. 

I'm bummed that this week's episode is the season finale. I'm not ready for this season to end!!
  • I have so many feels about this last episode.  My mom was 21 when I was born, and although married, she had zero interest in settling down and raising kids.  She too felt trapped and continued to party and put her own interests first.  Now that I'm an adult, I get it.

I'm glad they showed that it wasn't always bad between Deja and her mom.  As someone who probably should be have been removed from my home as a kid, I can't say it was all bad tor that I didn't love my parents.  I also think the early stages are probably eye-opening for many people who haven't struggled like that. 

And while it's so cheesy that they apparently bring Jack back as a figure for the next episode, the commercial has me tearing up.

• And while it's so cheesy that they apparently bring Jack back as a figure for the next episode, the commercial has me tearing up.

A few theories is that Rebecca is going to marry Miguel and he comes back as a ghost to say "it's ok" basically.

I saw spoiler of Jack in a future ep, but I didn't know it was a finale .... :'(
  • I'm 3/4 through this episode and I'm bawling my eyes out. 
  • Yep, back to bawling.  It was a nice few weeks off.  ;)  I was a little surprised that they blew through Deja's Mom requesting no parental involvement so fast, but so be it.  I'm liking the flash forwards at the end.  DH and I were speculating on who Randall and Tess are going to see, and what the situation is.  And I wonder why Toby has fallen back into his depression

• I loved Kate's wedding dress.... so sparkly!

The end sort of bummed me out though- I can't believe Deja took a bat to Randall's car...  I mean, I can't even imagine what she's going through, but come on- you cared for this family before- why are you acting crazy now??  And yes to the PP who mentioned how fast they just glossed over Deja's mom giving up parental rights...  um, that's a pretty big thing!

I'm also scared of the flash forwards...  H floated an idea about Randall and Tess- he thinks maybe Deja did something (maybe even hurt Beth??) and is in jail- and that's who they might be going to see....  either way, I had a bad feeling in my stomach at the end.

When does Season 3 start? 
  • Agreed that glossing over the Mom and the 180 of Deja needed more airtime. I also suspected the flash forward is them visiting Deja in jail but then I think that’s what they want us to think and it will be something else. 
  • Forgot to mention, I thought the wedding anniversary dream with an older Jack was just strange. And I didn’t like the aged version of him either 
  • kvruns said:
    Agreed that glossing over the Mom and the 180 of Deja needed more airtime. I also suspected the flash forward is them visiting Deja in jail but then I think that’s what they want us to think and it will be something else. 
    That's exactly what I was assuming - that they were going to visit Deja in jail. 
  • kvruns said:
    Agreed that glossing over the Mom and the 180 of Deja needed more airtime. I also suspected the flash forward is them visiting Deja in jail but then I think that’s what they want us to think and it will be something else. 
    That's exactly what I was assuming - that they were going to visit Deja in jail. 
    Us too, which means it's not that.   :p

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2018
    I've been reading online that a lot of people speculate Beth has Alzheimer's or something similar and that's where they were going. That thought never even crossed my mind, although I did (edit) think maybe she died and they were visiting her grave. 
  • Ugh I love hate this show. The wedding was so sweet even though Randall and Kevin made their toasts about them. 

I get Dejas anger. It was easier to love them and immerse in the family when she had her mom. Now she’s been abandoned and hard and she’s taking it out on the only people she has left. 

But damn those future scenes. And now we have to wait until Fall. Not cool. 
  • I get Deja's anger too and fear that she's turning into a troubled teen.

I wonder if Deja could have also done something to Annie.   Future state involves Tess as a grown up (social worker?) but Annie isn't there and neither is Beth.  My HOPE is that Deja works through her anger so Tess sees a positive side to social work and not that she gets involved due to the physical hurt that occurred in her home. 

• Ugh I love hate this show. The wedding was so sweet even though Randall and Kevin made their toasts about them. 

I get Dejas anger. It was easier to love them and immerse in the family when she had her mom. Now she’s been abandoned and hard and she’s taking it out on the only people she has left. 

But damn those future scenes. And now we have to wait until Fall. Not cool. 

Finally caught up with the final three episodes this weekend.  Though I was cheating by continuing to read this "Spoiler" post, hee hee.

I was totally thinking about TK during Kevin's toast, "Now, Kevin.  This is Kate and Toby's wedding.  Not Jack's memorial service.  Your toast should be about THEM."  I wouldn't have even minded the very first sentence, where he talked about that if their dad was there right now he'd say "Katie-girl, you have never looked more beautiful.  And he'd be right."  (something like that).  But then, staahhpp talking about Jack, smh.

It did seem weird the way the whole Deja's mom giving up her parental rights was done.  Hopefully there will be future episodes that give more meat.  How quick it was.  Why now?  When Deja is only a few years from being 18 anyway?  Did the mom and/or Randall/Beth have a heart-to-heart with Deja as to why it was happening?  Seems like there would be better options for the mom to have Deja stay with Randall/Beth then going all the way to giving up her rights.  I just have  a lot of unanswered questions, lol.

Deja's had such a tough road and I hope she is able to find happiness.  Both for her own sake and the family's sake.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Aw, yes.  How could I forget to mention the "all-important scenes" with older Jack.

I actually would have liked it and found it more poignant if it had been way less.  Kept it to only 1-2 short scenes.  And revealed that it was a dream Kate was having right after the very first dream scene.

However, it was so over done that it just came off as odd and confusing.  I actually thought it was going to turn out to be musings of "what might have been" for Rebecca.  So at least I was surprised it was Kate dreaming. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker