Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Tuxedo help

Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice about tuxedos.  The bridesmaids chose their own long dresses in either gold, champagne or blush.  The mothers are wearing long black dresses.  (The general wedding attire is "cocktail attire")

The original thought would be that the groom, fathers and groomsmen would be in black tuxedos.  The groom is now questioning how to handle the men's attire.  The fathers and some of the groomsmen own black tuxedos, but they would then all be different.  The groom is also planning on buying a tuxedo before the wedding.

Would it be ok if the groom asks the groomsmen to all rent the same tuxedo and get matching ties, possibly coordinating with the bridesmaids' colors?  If so, should the fathers rent the same tuxedos as the groomsmen or can they wear their own?  It was also suggested that the groom could wear a black tie, the fathers wear black bow ties and the groomsmen wear the coordinating ties.

I realize these are personal choices, but can someone please give advice about what might look the best.  At this point, the groom is even wondering if the groomsmen should be in grey or navy.  Help please!

Thanks!  Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Tuxedo help

• Options
    Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice about tuxedos.  The bridesmaids chose their own long dresses in either gold, champagne or blush.  The mothers are wearing long black dresses.  (The general wedding attire is "cocktail attire")

The original thought would be that the groom, fathers and groomsmen would be in black tuxedos.  The groom is now questioning how to handle the men's attire.  The fathers and some of the groomsmen own black tuxedos, but they would then all be different.  The groom is also planning on buying a tuxedo before the wedding.

Would it be ok if the groom asks the groomsmen to all rent the same tuxedo and get matching ties, possibly coordinating with the bridesmaids' colors?  If so, should the fathers rent the same tuxedos as the groomsmen or can they wear their own?  It was also suggested that the groom could wear a black tie, the fathers wear black bow ties and the groomsmen wear the coordinating ties.

I realize these are personal choices, but can someone please give advice about what might look the best.  At this point, the groom is even wondering if the groomsmen should be in grey or navy.  Help please!

Honestly a black tuxedo next to a different black tuxedo is going to be barely noticeable. If most people have a black tux I would just let them wear them and those that don’t have them can rent them. That way people are able to wear what compliments their bodies rather than what looks good on one guy. The fathers should definitely wear their own regardless of what the groomsmen do because they are not in the wedding party. Your  plans for the ties and bow ties sound lovely.
  • Options
    I would let the people who own black tuxedos to wear them; they'll fit better and why ask them to spend money on a rental when they already have one. Given your BM's are all in different dresses, allowing the GM's to wear what they want/have is definitely the right thing to do. I like the idea of the ties/bowties and think it would pull things together nicely. 
  • Options
    I would let the people who own black tuxedos to wear them; they'll fit better and why ask them to spend money on a rental when they already have one. Given your BM's are all in different dresses, allowing the GM's to wear what they want/have is definitely the right thing to do. I like the idea of the ties/bowties and think it would pull things together nicely. 
    Completely agree. Don’t make them all rent! 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I’d also let them wear their own.

My father and FIL were in different tuxes than the GM’s...in group photos is not even noticeable.
  • Options
    H owns a classic black tux which he bought for our wedding. I can't tell you how annoyed I get when he's in weddings with black tuxedos and the couple asks him to rent...for like $250. Really?

Unless their black tuxedos have something really weird about them - like red lapels or gold stripes on the pants, just let them wear their own tuxes. There's a reason black tuxes are classic - the styles don't vary much at all.

Just ask them all to wear shirts with no ruffles and black buttons and black bow ties (or whatever your other specs are).
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    A suit/ dinner jacket that you own and has been tailored to your body will ALWAYS look better than a hired tux. I’ve seen so many weddings where the groomsmen in hired suits look like they have nappies on because the crotch is too low, or look like they’re wearing their dad’s suit because it just doesn’t fit right. 

Tell everyone one to wear what they own, and hire if they don’t have one. Then specify shirt, tie, and you can differentiate the fathers and groomsmen by the flowers in their buttonholes. The groom then can see if he wants a tie or bow tie. 
  • Options
    Tuxedos are black.  Any other color is a fad, or an invention of the wedding industry.
    Tuxedos do not have to match in cut.  Matching colored ties are acceptable, but it is called "black tie" for a reason.  The traditional color is black.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    All the men in our wedding and the fathers wore tuxes.  Some of our other family members and guests wore tuxes, as well, as we requested formal attire.  My brother and my husband's brother had tuxes already, so we purchased a tux for the other two groomsmen as their wedding gift.  We found Ralph Lauren tuxes at Macy's on clearance and they were perfect for the two early-twentysomethings.  My husband bought a beautiful tux that he has already worn for other events.  My MOH wore a beautiful black gown.  Every tux was a little different in configuration, but all were black with black bow ties.  I agree that no one will know the difference between each one, and I also agree that a properly tailored tux will fit each man better.  It made for a nice look that each one was slightly different!
  • Options
    Hi,

Agree with PPs. Let them wear their own tux. 

Only thing else that I would mention is that you can’t dictate a dress code to anyone outside of wedding party unless venue has restrictions or truly black tie. 

• Options
    I did what is suggested above; some of the guys owned a tux and some did not. We did not make anyone buy or rent a new tux - if you need one, get it (rent or buy), and if you have one, wear it.

I think my brother's may have had more buttons than others'. I only know this because this was told to me during the attire discussion. I would not have noticed. I still don't notice in the pictures. No one noticed.

Let them wear their own if they have it.
  • Options
    Tailored to you is always a better look.

As annoyed as I was at the price tag for the suit DH bought two years ago when he was BM for his BF, the suit makes him look FIIIIIIINE.   A quality suit / tux tailored to the person is SO GOOD. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards