Honeymoon Discussions

Zika Free - Tenerife or Hawaii?

Hey Guys! 

I know this may sound ridiculous to some of you, but I'm paranoid about Zika, can't be convinced out of it. Soooooo my fiance and I are looking at Tenerife or Hawaii for our honeymoon in July 2019....

We want adventure mixed with relaxation. We also don't want to go bankrupt! Does anyone have any comparison tips between the two? Or any other ideas for non-zika honeymoons?!? 

Thanks!!!!

Re: Zika Free - Tenerife or Hawaii?

• Hey Guys! 

I know this may sound ridiculous to some of you, but I'm paranoid about Zika, can't be convinced out of it. Soooooo my fiance and I are looking at Tenerife or Hawaii for our honeymoon in July 2019....

We want adventure mixed with relaxation. We also don't want to go bankrupt! Does anyone have any comparison tips between the two? Or any other ideas for non-zika honeymoons?!? 

Thanks!!!!
    Both places have their merits - I personally have not been to either (but really want to!!), so I won't be much help. I know there are a lot of things to do in Hawaii - not sure about Tenerife - so take that into consideration when you make your decision. Do you want a honeymoon where you are learning and doing things? Or do you want a honeymoon where you are just lounging on the beach? 

Also - where are you flying from? From the East Coast of the US, Tenerife is at least 11 hours - and will include 1 stop. Hawaii will be slightly shorter, but not by much, and will also have 1 stop. 
  • Are you from the US, EU, or somewhere else? If you're American the obvious benefit of Hawaii is that it's in country and you don't need to worry about passports or currency/credit card issues. Same in reverse if you're from somewhere in Europe and have an EU passport heading to Tenerife. 

I've never done Tenerfie (although a few friends have) and it looks beautiful. I have been to Hawaii and it was amazing. I spent a week on Oahu and did a mix of adventure (North Shore, up a Volcano, snorkling) and beach/pool. There's a lot to do, especially if you can island hop or stay on the island and rent a car. Many hotels had cars/vans you could take for a day, too which made excursions from the resort easier. 
  • I would base it mostly on your budget, honestly. Depending on your starting location, one is going to be a lot cheaper than the other.

Also consider time of year. November-April is a great time to visit Hawaii, but it can rain a lot. June-August are really busy and party/crazy in Tenerife. 

And consider what you want out of the location. Tenerife is very busy, resort-y and populated for the most part. Hawaii can be (depending on the island you choose), but it can also be quiet and serene. 

Another Zika-free, tropical destination to consider is Bermuda.
    *********************************************************************************

• Cayman Islands are also considered to be Zika-free. 
  • Hawaii hands down. 
  • I would talk to a travel clinic in your area to find out which places are clear from Zola. That might help expand your list of destinations. 
  • driddrid member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    The Bahamas is also Zika free. We just booked it for our anniversary trip bc we are TTC.
     it wasn’t too expensive, we booked directly with our hotel (Riu Paradise Island) and they offer all-inclusive (food and drinks). We then we booked our flights separately. It ended up being about the same that we would have spent on a package all-inclusive vacation in Mexico or somewhere similar ($3500-4000 CAD). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker