Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday

What's up today?

It's STORMING here.  The river is really high. Yards are flooded and our sump pump is working overtime.  I'm going to take a wild guess that there are no practices tonight.  Tomorrow is iffy.  It's supposed to be a high of 38 Saturday.  Games are going to SUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I don't have much work today and I really want to go shopping but funds are tight so I need to keep my baggy clothes for now.

Re: Tuesday

• Options
    Bummer on the flooding @6fsn; it's stormy here too. 

Gearing up for the week/weekend in Chicago. I get in Thursday morning and stay through Sunday night. Any Chicago friends have some must-try restaurant suggestions? (I probably asked last year around this time, too). Things that won't break the bank and that I could still get into this week?
  • Options
    We're having the same weather.  Our neighbors behind us have a lake connecting their backyards.  Our sump pump is also going off all.the.time. 

This weather is the pits and is making me super grumpy. 
  • Options
    Chicago is predicting snow tonight.  It's raining here now.  Is it fall yet?

I bought one of those miracle defroster plates that should defrost food within an hour, so yesterday I took out some pork and tried that.  Nope.  Doesn't work.  It was take out time for us.

• Options
    Bummer on the flooding @6fsn; it's stormy here too. 

Gearing up for the week/weekend in Chicago. I get in Thursday morning and stay through Sunday night. Any Chicago friends have some must-try restaurant suggestions? (I probably asked last year around this time, too). Things that won't break the bank and that I could still get into this week?
    Sbarro pizza.  No, just kidding.

So many great places but so many bank breakers!  If you're near a portillo's give them a try.  We order from them A LOT in our office and always a crowd pleaser. 

• Options
    Shit weather here.
    Rain. Then snow (!?). Then possible freezing rain.

Wtf mother nature.

I'm seriously so proud of M, and I think he's really impressed with himself as well.
    He was off yesterday and I'd asked him to start the basement and if he could put together the crib if he had time. {I offered to help him with crib when I got home if need be}

Not only did he do the crib {photos to come soon, I just wanna arrange a couple things first} but he got a good chunk of the basement done.
    Some things - tv and tv stand - were brought down over the weekend with help from my uncle, but he got the couches, dvds, games, knick-knacks, etc set up.

There's still a huge part behind the couch we need to deal with, but it's a huge start. It's starting to take shape :)
    There's some boxes he was able to empty, so we can also clear some of that space.
    For a huge procrastinator, I think he's realizing the time frame we have left and he did all this all afternoon. Unfortunately he's now feeling it in his back as he's not use to doing all the lifting he has been over the past few days lol I joked that he's gotta get use to lifting, kids like to be picked up ;)
  • Options
    It looks like shitty weather for everyone!

We're supposed to get heavy rain (with flood warning in low lying areas) and then snow Thursday and Friday. Yay!

Trying to figure out the month and whether we have time for stuff. Looks like I'm booking into May and June for weekends now. Ugh. 
  • Options
    We had about 4 inches of snow yesterday but it's nearly all gone now.

Chiquita is testing me....and we're both failing.   Kiddo needs to be a grown up and right all the time and THAT'S MY JOB.  I feel like I'm such a bitch for yelling at her and yet I struggle with ways to make her know she's crossed a line.   It's SOOOO tough.

DH was out last night until 1 AM!!!  
  • Options

I was home sick with a stomach thing yesterday. Not sure if I can blame it on my brother's food or not since a bug appears to be going around. Plus my ears feel pluggy and my throat has been scratchy in the mornings. Which sucks because I want to go visit Nephew!

Other than that, SSDD. We made WAY TOO much food for our family party Saturday so we'll be eating burgers for lunch and dinner all week. I didn't catch H in time to tell him not to cook them all and we could have frozen the raw meat.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

Sorry for those of you with bad weather on the way.  It is gorgeous down here today, but there is a big rainstorm predicted for tomorrow.  Then back to gorgeous.  We do have our best weather in March, April, Sept., Oct. 

@charlotte989875, I wouldn't go so far as to say "must try", but here are two low-cost options with great food in the Loop area.  Though neither one are "Chicago" type food.  For geography, both of them are spitting distance to the Palmer.  If you like poke, then Poke-Poke at 118 S Wabash Ave.  They also have a chicken option for their bowls/burritos, if you don't like sushi.

The Flat Top Grill is a Mongolian grill/hibachi type place.  I think it's $12 to load up your bowl with as much as you want and then they throw it on the big grill.  It's a nice atmosphere and décor, especially considering the low price point menu.  They're located at 30 S Wabash Ave.

People rave about the Wildberry.  There is always a wait, but food can be ordered to go.  However, my H and I didn't think it was anything special.  It was definitely a great breakfast spot with good food and a wide variety on the menu, but we have the same type of places at home so it didn't really "wow" us.  It's a breakfast/lunch place at 130 E Randolph Pl. (at one end of Millenium Park).

There is also a Giordano's Pizza almost next door to the Wildberry Café.  That was our favorite pizza we had in Chicago.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Totally agree on Wildberry, we went there because it was close to our hotel and had good reviews but it was meh to us and the wait sucked.  Not too far from there was a place called Eggy's diner which we loved for breakfast, especially the fried potatoes - yummm. Granted we are pretty simple breakfast people and don't like the fancy type placed. 
  • Options

I prefer Lou Malnati's to Giordano's, but that's just a matter of taste. Pisano's is  good too.

Italian Village is one of our favorites, but I think we might be swayed by the sentiment that my grandpa took my grandma there on their first date.

I need to eat more downtown. H and I are going to a leather class in a couple weeks and I'm nearly looking up a Diners Drive Ins and Dives list to see where we should eat.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    btw, I got a Save The Date for my cousins wedding in the mail 2 weeks ago.  It's for October.20th  The STD said "RSVP online at _____".....  Am I to assume that's the invite and STD?  Will an official invite come later?  Why does this have to be so difficult? 

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2018

Speaking of pizza, my H and I had pizza delivered last night from a place we have been wanting to try.  We'd heard so many good things and it has RAVE reviews.

I hate to throw my fellow New Orleanians under the bus, but they are very poor judges of good food outside of our own realm, lol.  And this was another example of that.  Just nothing special at all.  The crust and sauce were decent, nothing amazing.  But I'm a "topppings" person and those were SPARSE and measly.  It was really pathetic.  We got their version of a Supreme.  Some slices didn't have even one slice of pepperoni on it.  Or one little sliver of a black olive or mushroom.

It was a special with one large specialty pizza, one large salad, and one appetizer for $25.  So, at least it wasn't a total rip-off.  But the salad was advertised as "large enough for two"...not for the special, just the general description.  I don't know  what "two" people those are, lol, but it was actually an entrée sized salad.  And not even a very big one.

Edited to add:

More bashing of Louisiana, lol.  I just saw an article on my local paper's website that is titled, "Louisiana's 50 Richest Places by Zip Code."

Me (thinking):  "Huh...Louisiana has 50 zip codes?" lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @charlotte989875

My go-to list is ChicagoMag.com. Check out "Drinking and Dining" and particularly "The Hot List." 

Where are you staying in particular and are you venturing out to other neighborhoods?  You definitely have to go for pizza (I like Pizzaria Uno and Due in River North; there are Malnati's all over the place as well as Giordano's and Gino's East.)  Any cuisine in particular you like? Happy to help, you can PM me if you want, too. 

If I could live another life I'd totally be a tour guide, haha. 

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the bad weather. Been there, done that, have the T shirt. I hope everyone affected is safe and dry.

I finally got the cash. Woke up with a headache, feeling a bit dizzy and nauseated, but since I'm working hourly with no sick time right now I have to work through it. Ugh.

• Options

Busy day again for me!  Finding needle in haystack documents are my specialty and the lawyers are definitely keeping me on my toes! 

DD is doing well with her Hand Foot & Mouth, it doesn't seem to be slowing her down any longer.  Last night H pointed out to me that she is walking on her knees here and there.  Yesterday was the first time H or I have caught her doing that, but H said he saw her do that 3 times during the day.  She also was starting to stand without holding onto anything.  So I think the walking is imminent!

Not much tonight.  I should probably find a small task to do and get it done.  There is lots of things I can/should be doing! 

• Options

Busy day again for me!  Finding needle in haystack documents are my specialty and the lawyers are definitely keeping me on my toes! 

DD is doing well with her Hand Foot & Mouth, it doesn't seem to be slowing her down any longer.  Last night H pointed out to me that she is walking on her knees here and there.  Yesterday was the first time H or I have caught her doing that, but H said he saw her do that 3 times during the day.  She also was starting to stand without holding onto anything.  So I think the walking is imminent!

Not much tonight.  I should probably find a small task to do and get it done.  There is lots of things I can/should be doing! 

At my last job, I did some of that with the Big Boss e-mail account.  This guy kept every e-mail anyone had ever sent to him.  And, you know how if there is a chain e-mail going, most people will delete the previous e-mails since all the same info is in the latest one?  Nope, not this guy.

I'll give him credit, he would attempt to find e-mails he wanted himself with various searches.  But, if he couldn't, I was sent into the e-mail swamp.  I called them "Snipe Hunts", lol.

I'm glad DD is feeling better.  And yay on the verge of walking!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad that I put limitations on my Pride jobs.  I'm having to answer the messages of people who simply WON'T READ all the things I put hard work into (and sometimes, you just can't fit information into an 8 second glance).  Those people not seeing my face and/or hearing my muttering is a really good thing.  and when I say won't read...these people are clicking on a picture for an event..picture has the date on it in bright pink letters, near the middle...and asking me the date of the event.

It's cold AF in my office right now.  I have a meeting at 2 and then a meeting at 4 with the main partner in my firm for his "listening tour".  I haven't decided how to approach it yet.
  • Options
    @charlotte989875

My go-to list is ChicagoMag.com. Check out "Drinking and Dining" and particularly "The Hot List." 

Where are you staying in particular and are you venturing out to other neighborhoods?  You definitely have to go for pizza (I like Pizzaria Uno and Due in River North; there are Malnati's all over the place as well as Giordano's and Gino's East.)  Any cuisine in particular you like? Happy to help, you can PM me if you want, too. 

If I could live another life I'd totally be a tour guide, haha. 
    I'm staying in the Loop near the Palmer House (that's where the conference is). I'm open to venturing out of there for dinner, less so for lunches since I have panels each day. 

I'm open to any cuisine; I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food. H isn't so this is always my time to try things out!
  • Options

Sorry for those of you with bad weather on the way.  It is gorgeous down here today, but there is a big rainstorm predicted for tomorrow.  Then back to gorgeous.  We do have our best weather in March, April, Sept., Oct. 

@charlotte989875, I wouldn't go so far as to say "must try", but here are two low-cost options with great food in the Loop area.  Though neither one are "Chicago" type food.  For geography, both of them are spitting distance to the Palmer.  If you like poke, then Poke-Poke at 118 S Wabash Ave.  They also have a chicken option for their bowls/burritos, if you don't like sushi.

The Flat Top Grill is a Mongolian grill/hibachi type place.  I think it's $12 to load up your bowl with as much as you want and then they throw it on the big grill.  It's a nice atmosphere and décor, especially considering the low price point menu.  They're located at 30 S Wabash Ave.

People rave about the Wildberry.  There is always a wait, but food can be ordered to go.  However, my H and I didn't think it was anything special.  It was definitely a great breakfast spot with good food and a wide variety on the menu, but we have the same type of places at home so it didn't really "wow" us.  It's a breakfast/lunch place at 130 E Randolph Pl. (at one end of Millenium Park).

There is also a Giordano's Pizza almost next door to the Wildberry Café.  That was our favorite pizza we had in Chicago.

This is great, thanks! I'm staying around the corner from the Palmer House and that's where the conference is, so it's nice to have some close go-to places when I need to escape the hotel. 
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 go to purple pig! sit at the bar and get some small plates, sooo yummy. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 go to purple pig! sit at the bar and get some small plates, sooo yummy. 

Ooh that looks perfect for my Thursday night dinner!
  • Options
    @charlotte989875

For dinners, in addition to Purple Pig (awesome), your best bet is probably to venture north of the river into the River North neighborhood just because of the concentration of restaurants. (Plus, shopping on Michigan Ave adjacent.) I like Friends Sushi a lot. Do you use Open Table? If you filter by "River North" and "Loop" you'll get tons of options. A lot of the restaurants in the hotels are actually really great too. 

Also, I'm partial to locally-owned dining myself, but a lot of restaurants are owned by the Lettuce Entertain You group and everything I've tried is good. Check their website. 

• Options

Ooh that looks perfect for my Thursday night dinner!
    I also went to the Purple Pig, based on TK recommendations, lol.  We just shared a few small plates because it was sandwiched between lunch and dinner.  It was on our list of "must trys", sounded great, and we were running out of time on our vacation, lol.  So we didn't get to try much but, what we did, was amazing.  I was really worried about the wait, so we purposely planned to go at an "off" time.  We got there at 2:30ish...on a Monday afternoon...and still had a short wait for a table.  The dining area was full and the bar area was about 3/4ths full.  If that gives you an idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker