Wedding Woes

Early Tuesday

My mom is on the guilt trip train.  My brother got a big, big honor.  The siblings ALL congratulated him at the time.  There was a recent interview that my mom sent out a link too.  Apparently none of the siblings replied, but aunts, uncle and cousins did.  We all get an email this morning "I thought I sent this.  There will be a black tie affair for brother to formally receive this honor.  Everyone but his closest family responded." That last part was my paraphrase, but you get the picture.  I KNOW it's a huge honor.  HUGE. Guess I need to up my congratulation game.

Nothing much else today.  It's swim lesson sign ups and they go in no time flat.  It should be a priority to be on-line at 9:30, but I'd rather go for a run and that's the only time this week I can get out.  I hope the kids don't drown this summer...at the beach house of brother getting the big award.

So my big stuff today is daughter/sister/mother fail.  Let's see if I can screw up wife and employee too!! (I'm being tongue in cheek about this)

Re: Early Tuesday

• If you really put your heart into it, I'm confident you can suck at everything today, @6fsn.  </jest>

Although, I'm having one of those mornings too.  We likely owe on our taxes, which means we need to choose between redoing the deck and redoing the kitchen.  I started my coffee without a cup.  And woke up to 3 emails that made me crabby.

The bright side for today is that H's dem primary opponent is formally dropping out today - but even that's about him and not me.  

• edited April 2018
    And I duplicated a post....add it to the list.  
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2018
    @6fsn, lol at up the congratulation game.  but congrats to bro!

Yesterday I left work early to pick up my walmart grocery items.  It was a lot smoother than last time, but they had some substitutions.  The substitute ice cream was fine by me but the lady told me they were out of the fresh mint leaves I put on there.  I was like "ok. fine". she opened up  bag of parsley and said "and this is the replacement for it".
    um.....
    a) No.  That parsley was an actual grocery item I put on there
    b) In what world is parsley a substitute for mint leaves?

Also, instead of fresh garlic I got a huge onion.  I think that's what it was anyway.  Also OK by me because i had garlic in a jar I used for my recipe anyway.  Unfortunately, I cut myself BIG time when trying to open up a can (I'll need to get a better quality can opener) and H had to cook his shrimp.  It did look fairly easy though.

Oh, then we went and saw "ready player one".  So boring.  But right up H's alley.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have fallen for the parent guilt.  I'm sitting at the computer anxiously awaiting swim lesson sign ups.  If I get the weeks I want I can still send them to Bible school too.  So 30 mins of fun today OR a whole week they'll be at Bible school AND 2 weeks of freedom during lessons.  OK that isn't really parent guilt, it's parent preservation:)
  • @6fsn, lol at up the congratulation game.  but congrats to bro!

Yesterday I left work early to pick up my walmart grocery items.  It was a lot smoother than last time, but they had some substitutions.  The substitute ice cream was fine by me but the lady told me they were out of the fresh mint leaves I put on there.  I was like "ok. fine". she opened up  bag of parsley and said "and this is the replacement for it".
    um.....

Also, instead of fresh garlic I got a huge onion.  I think that's what it was anyway.  Also OK by me because i had garlic in a jar I used for my recipe anyway.  Unfortunately, I cut myself BIG time when trying to open up a can (I'll need to get a better quality can opener) and H had to cook his shrimp.  It did look fairly easy though.

Oh, then we went and saw "ready player one".  So boring.  But right up H's alley.
    Wow those are bad substitutes!  

Any chance your garlic-onion is a shallot?

um.....

no, this thing is HUGE.  I almost thought it was cabbage at first.  I'll cut into it and see what I can do with it.  But it's not garlic, that's for sure.

um.....

no, this thing is HUGE.  I almost thought it was cabbage at first.  I'll cut into it and see what I can do with it.  But it's not garlic, that's for sure.
    The last batch of shallots we got, each was the size of my fist. 

@6fsn - Our swim lesson and class sign ups are at 7am. I had to sign FI in to sign DS up for camp a couple of weeks ago because it was a day I normally leave for work that early. Our summer lessons don't get signed up for until June. I have an alarm set. 
  • @6fsn, congrats to your brother!  The fact that neither you nor your siblings congratulated him a second time, makes me think that an appropriate portion of congratulations was given the first time ;).  And it is your mom who is being unnecessarily snarky.

@kimmiinthemitten, I keep putting off DOING my taxes.  Ugh.  And I need my return to pursue the refi I want on one of my rentals.  I have long been procrastinating.  I hope Costco or Sam's Club still have sales going on for Turbo Tax.  I was going to buy it the other day, but was confused if I could use the same higher tier software option for both my personal taxes and my LLC.  Two different returns, of course.  I just don't want to have to buy two softwares.  I always owe taxes.  So that isn't even a question, lol. 

Sorry to hear you all have to choose one home upgrade project over another one.  They both sound nice.  Unless you all spend a ton of time outside, I'd lean toward the kitchen upgrade.  People tend to spend more time, plus time every day, in the kitchen vs. the yard.  So I think your all's "happiness quotient" will be higher for that upgrade.

Good to hear the other primary dem candidate is dropping out!  Yay Mr. Mitten!

SSDD for me.  I have had too much on my plate and it has made me curmudgeony.  I wish I had endless depths of motivation.  Heck, I'd settle for a puddle of motivation right now, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member

@charmedpam- I want to see a picture now. For easy shrimp you can also try the little salad shrimp.  Precooked and so tiny you don't need to chop.

Swim lessons are secured! I have time to do a short run (but not at the pretty park).

To be clear- my brother is not the one at fault her.  That man NEVER says what he's up to.  He's damn good at what he does.  I google him regularly because he would never say anything about his accomplishments. 

um.....

Duh, because they look similar.  Isn't that all that matters?  LMAO.

Garlic is not an onion either.  Also very different.  Apparently the "substitution" idea doesn't work so well.  Is it possible to chose "no substitutions" and then any items that are not found are automatically taken off the total?

I'm asking because one day...someday...maybe the Walmart Pick-Up will actually be at a Walmart near me.  You all talked me into trying it and then I come to find out the closest one with this service available is 30 minutes away.  We're always forgotten and behind the times, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

um.....

Duh, because they look similar.  Isn't that all that matters?  LMAO.

Garlic is not an onion either.  Also very different.  Apparently the "substitution" idea doesn't work so well.  Is it possible to chose "no substitutions" and then any items that are not found are automatically taken off the total?

I'm asking because one day...someday...maybe the Walmart Pick-Up will actually be at a Walmart near me.  You all talked me into trying it and then I come to find out the closest one with this service available is 30 minutes away.  We're always forgotten and behind the times, lol. 

oh yeah, it is! you have the option for no substitutions.  I did that last time....but curiosity got the best of me and I wondered what would happen if I allowed them this time (it was a fairly small order).  At any rate, someone is grocery shopping FOR me.  No additional cost.  I'll take what i can get. lol.

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited April 2018
    Also, can we talk alkaline water?  I drink a lot of bottled water, and I'd like to do a reusable one.  I was thinking of getting this one (one for work, one for home):
    https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Purifier-Hydrogen-Eco-Friendly-Electricity/dp/B077SWMLLS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1523368633&amp;sr=8-4&amp;keywords=travel+alkaline+water+filter&amp;dpID=51%2BwNqUo5tL&amp;preST=_SY300_QL70_&amp;dpSrc=srch

Does anyone have this?  Do they like it? Do they have something better to use?  How long does a cartridge last?

edit: although this one is prettier, and I think I like the drink spout on it better: https://www.amazon.com/REVIVE-Alkaline-Water-Filter-Bottle/dp/B01GDQ4B36/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01GDQ4B36&pd_rd_r=6QP4MB73WHZP2FYSDNWZ&pd_rd_w=U2Wf3&pd_rd_wg=RShHI&psc=1&refRID=6QP4MB73WHZP2FYSDNWZ

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2018
    This is me after getting a quote to add the kiddo to our car insurance (we're making him pay, he's not going to be happy because our guess was super low-ball):

Image result for shocked reaction gif
  • mrsconn23 said:
    This is me after getting a quote to add the kiddo to our car insurance (we're making him pay, he's not going to be happy because our guess was super low-ball):

((Calculating))...male...teenager...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

When I was in HS, I had to pay for half the insurance and all my gas.  But I lived in Orange County, CA, plus was a teenager, so my insurance was also $$$$$$$.

I did get two discounts on my outrageous rate because I maintained a B average and had taken a driver's training course.  If you haven't already, check with your insurer if they have any similar programs to that.  And/or something else.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:

Is it still more expensive for teenage boys to get insurance than girls? 
  • mrsconn23 said:

((Calculating))...male...teenager...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

When I was in HS, I had to pay for half the insurance and all my gas.  But I lived in Orange County, CA, plus was a teenager, so my insurance was also $$$$$$$.

I did get two discounts on my outrageous rate because I maintained a B average and had taken a driver's training course.  If you haven't already, check with your insurer if they have any similar programs to that.  And/or something else.

Ha.  He didn't take Driver's Ed because it is $$$ to do so (it's all private here, nothing is sponsored through schools) and his grades are just OK.  So yeah, no huge discounts. 

We made him save the $500 deductible and he's removing it from his bank account and keeping it in our safe.  
  • The lady who did my nails on Saturday told me about the new drivers education programs now.  Her nephew had to go privately too. A lot of schools are cutting the driver ed program and you have to go privately for anywhere from $500-$800/course.  Her nephews school had a 'lotto' and SOME kids got into the class but some didn't.  Not fair IMO.

I'm SO glad I grew up when I did, and had the option of taking drivers ed through my school.   However, drivers ed was always a private course in Winnipeg, never an option through school. 

• Man, y'alls kid activities are nuts! It sounds similar to being on Ticketmaster at 11:59 clicking refresh 1,000 times trying to get popular tickets!

Yikes, I remember teenage insurance rates. :/

Last night H and I got to have one of those awesome "I'm not your maid and please don't make me act like I'm your mom" conversations. My favorite!

But the house is clean and I feel good. Worked out this morning, planning to get back on track with my video workouts after work today. My lower body is going to be killing me tomorrow.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Man, y'alls kid activities are nuts! It sounds similar to being on Ticketmaster at 11:59 clicking refresh 1,000 times trying to get popular tickets!

Yikes, I remember teenage insurance rates. :/

Last night H and I got to have one of those awesome "I'm not your maid and please don't make me act like I'm your mom" conversations. My favorite!

But the house is clean and I feel good. Worked out this morning, planning to get back on track with my video workouts after work today. My lower body is going to be killing me tomorrow.

Basically.

At least in my area, if you don't sign up quickly, the very few spaces they have get waitlisted very quickly. 

At least it's all done online nowadays, I remember my mother having to stand in line to get us signed up for swimming and camp as kids. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited April 2018
    mrsconn23 said:
    Ha.  He didn't take Driver's Ed because it is $$$ to do so (it's all private here, nothing is sponsored through schools) and his grades are just OK.  So yeah, no huge discounts. 

We made him save the $500 deductible and he's removing it from his bank account and keeping it in our safe.  

Some good advice for everyone...check the differences between a $100 or $250 or $500 deductible with car insurance.  Not all companies will offer deductibles lower than $500.  But, when they do, there often isn't much difference in the premium.

For example, where I live, car insurance rates are some of the highest in the country because we have a high percentage of uninsured motorists.

I keep my deductible at $100 because it is only about $3-$4 more per month than $250 and $6-$7 higher per month than $500.

If there is an accident and the other driver is at-fault...but they don't have insurance...do you know who ends up having to fork over the deductible?  Yup.  You do.  This just happened to a friend and I've had it happen to me also.  Sure, you could take the driver to small claims court for your deductible.  But you can't get blood from turnip and will probably end up with a valueless judgment.

And did I mention there are a lot of uninsured motorists where I live, lol?  Soooo..yeah.  That's one of the reasons I keep a $100 deductible (Progressive).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kimmiinthemitten does that mean he's through to the general election in the fall? 
  • We used to carry a lower deductible, but it actually made a difference with 3 cars insured to raise it.   We'll adjust again if the kiddo and his car are ever off our policy.  I review it about once a year and make adjustments as needed.  There are very few uninsured drivers around here because having insurance is required by law and there are harsh penalties for not carrying it. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    We used to carry a lower deductible, but it actually made a difference with 3 cars insured to raise it.   We'll adjust again if the kiddo and his car are ever off our policy.  I review it about once a year and make adjustments as needed.  There are very few uninsured drivers around here because having insurance is required by law and there are harsh penalties for not carrying it. 
    This boggles my mind. In Ontario you can lose your license if you don't have insurance. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    @southernbelle0915 I totally remember that feeling.
  • Are either of you handy? Doing some work on the deck yourselves to fix any bad boards and that way you still get the kitchen
  • mrsconn23 said:
    We used to carry a lower deductible, but it actually made a difference with 3 cars insured to raise it.   We'll adjust again if the kiddo and his car are ever off our policy.  I review it about once a year and make adjustments as needed.  There are very few uninsured drivers around here because having insurance is required by law and there are harsh penalties for not carrying it. 
    This boggles my mind. In Ontario you can lose your license if you don't have insurance. 
    Same here, but people still risk it.  I think 1st offense is a fine and a suspended license. You can't reinstate until you have proof of insurance. 

There are states that don't require car insurance or the laws are very lax.