Snarky Brides

Cheapest Weddings - Netflix

Has anyone else watched this?  I turned it on in the background while cooking suppers this week, and OH MY LORD. 

It's an Australian show, and basically each episode featured 3 couples that are having super budget weddings. So much poor hosting.  I hope it doesn't give people the impression that it's "A-Ok" to be a bad host in the name of saving a dollar (but it probably will).  

I saw "standing only" outdoor ceremonies, tons of BYOB, ceremony recreations, and so much asking for/demanding help or free services, among other cringe-inducing moments. 

And although it doesn't go against etiquette, there were lots of Chinese eBay  dresses (only one disaster, surprisingly).

The first episode featured a couple and at first you kind of feel bad for them. They set up their reception venue completely alone (I mean at least they didn't demand help, but usually people *want to* help) and also the brides mother declined to even attend the wedding. Then on the day of, Bridezilla comes out and it's kind of like "Oh, that's why".

Their venue was set up for like 60 people and only 20 showed. It's super uncomfortable. 

It's not the most well-done or riveting entertainment, but it's not terrible for a show you can watch while you are doing other things.

Re: Cheapest Weddings - Netflix

• I did the same as you, put it on as background noise when I was doing something else. I didn't pay too much attention, but everything I did hear got a good chuckle from me. Those people were usually hot messes. 
  • This exists? I swear they're running out of ideas. Cheap weddings because good ideas? Fine. Cheap weddings because crappy hosting? Nah.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm intrigued and may watch it, lol. I just hate how people don't realize that cheap does not mean defrayed costs. Everything costs money!

Cheap-- catering pasta and fried chicken instead of filet mignon.
    Being an asshole-- couple doesn't pay for food and instead asks for potluck. 

• I'm intrigued and may watch it, lol. I just hate how people don't realize that cheap does not mean defrayed costs. Everything costs money!

Yeah this show should be called "Being an asshole at your wedding"
  • justsie said:
    I'm intrigued and may watch it, lol. I just hate how people don't realize that cheap does not mean defrayed costs. Everything costs money!

Yeah this show should be called "Being an asshole at your wedding"
    Or "It's YOUR DAY!  Do what you like"
  • This girl on my fb had a wedding and they bought everything instead of renting {linen, etc} instead of renting. She's pretty thrifty, and they apparently have a good thrift store so she was able to get sets of matching things.

Recently she advised she had a garage sale and made back the money she spent and then some.
    I think cheap vs inexpensive has a huge difference, and you have to be pretty thrifty ahead of time.

That being said, I'm likely looking up to see about the 'cheap weddings' lol
  • I think something was up with that first, uncomfortable couple. Bothe the mom and the best man declined to show up.

I loved the red haired girl. " what  do you do in the middle of no where outback? We F*&^"

• TNDancer said:

I think something was up with that first, uncomfortable couple. Bothe the mom and the best man declined to show up.

I loved the red haired girl. " what  do you do in the middle of no where outback? We F*&^"

Yeah I think there was a lot of backstory there with the couple who had no guests. 

I also loved that sassy redhead. She was awesome 
  • Maybe these cheap brides & grooms don't want to bilk their parents for wedding money, and don't want to go into debt themselves. Hence, the so-called "Cheap" wedding. I will go with cheap, I'm not royalty and not pretending to be.
  • Maybe these cheap brides & grooms don't want to bilk their parents for wedding money, and don't want to go into debt themselves. Hence, the so-called "Cheap" wedding. I will go with cheap, I'm not royalty and not pretending to be.
    You're making a lot of assumptions there. Not everyone who has a big expensive wedding has parental help to pay for it or goes into debt for it. It is very possible to have a lovely, polite wedding without going into debt or requiring parental help. 

And no one should be "bilking" their parents for money regardless of how expensive or inexpensive the wedding is. My parents OFFERED to pay for most of our wedding, and we accepted. And I did my best to keep the budget low. We in no way "bilked" the money out of them.

No one should be asking their parents for money or deceiving or cheating (which is what bilk means) their parents to pay for the wedding. 
  • There is NO rule that says brides and grooms are required to serve food and drinks at a wedding to their guests, provide entertainment to their guests, or anything else. The guests are there to witness the legal marriage take place. Nobody should be made to feel bad because they can't afford to put on an entertainment charade. Guess what? I've been to a wedding in someone's living room no food or drinks were served. The groom was recently unemployed and his wife was a single mom of 3 kids. Do you call them tacky? Go ahead. They couldn't afford it and we all understood that. Of course, you wouldn't understand and that is sad.
  • There is NO rule that says brides and grooms are required to serve food and drinks at a wedding to their guests, provide entertainment to their guests, or anything else. The guests are there to witness the legal marriage take place. Nobody should be made to feel bad because they can't afford to put on an entertainment charade. Guess what? I've been to a wedding in someone's living room no food or drinks were served. The groom was recently unemployed and his wife was a single mom of 3 kids. Do you call them tacky? Go ahead. They couldn't afford it and we all understood that. Of course, you wouldn't understand and that is sad.

Did you not read my post before replying? Here, I'll quote the relevant part for you so you can read it again. 
    It is very possible to have a lovely, polite wedding without going into debt or requiring parental help. 
    Nowhere did I talk about "entertainment," so I have no idea where you're getting that from.
  • I LOVED this show. It was a guilty pleasure of ours. It only had 1 season and that's understandable.