Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday

2»

Re: Wednesday

• Options
    6fsn said:

Not cool Mr.Charlotte!  Those need to be conversations in person when you have time to talk.  Not a text and run.

Exactly! 

banana468 said:
    Sorry, but I need to rant about my H for a minute. 

Houses are expensive. I get that. We've done the pre-approval, we've decided what our max budget is (well less than we're approved for), we've gone through how much we're comfortable per month and worked it all out. Great. So now H is all "we have to look at things 20-30 less than our budget, even less if it needs work, and I'm not really comfortable with this anymore". All over text. Then says "I have to go I can't talk about this anymore"

Duuude you started this whole conversation, you dropped this bomb, and now are shutting it down when I ask questions. Why bring it up at all, over texts, if you don't want to talk about it?! 
    That's bullshit.   He set up that statement exactly so you can't have a conversation about it.   Sorry but it doesn't work that way.

I agree that you want to make sure that you can do more than just pay all the bills every month since you may have sudden bills like a deductible because a tree fell on your roof.

I really need to firm up plans for Chiquita's first communion weekend and also for the summer.   Summer camp scheduling sucks when your kid starts to get old!
    I totally agree, which is why we went through ALL of this before. We (I thought) had come up with a budget that doesn't leave us house poor and still let's us put most all of my fellowship paycheck into savings (which is what we do now). So our monthly payment needs to the same as, or even slightly more, than our rent + mortgage we were paying before. Less is obviously so much better. But that's how we figured out the budget. 

But yeah the texting and leaving for a meeting is a bunch of bullshit. 
  • Options
    @6fsn do you do the BB shakes or the workouts too? 

@charlotte989875 is your budget for this house comparable to your old one? I know it may have to vary just on location differences, but is it a significant change in % of income? 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

@charlotte989875 is your budget for this house comparable to your old one? I know it may have to vary just on location differences, but is it a significant change in % of income? 
    It is a pretty significant change; when we bought our old house it was solely in my name because H hadn't consolidated student loans & didn't have a signed contract for his job. We didn't know how much he'd be making, so we only used my income to buy it.

We collectively make about 50k more out here than we did back in Ohio, so our housing budget is more. 
  • Options
    @charlotte989875, H and I text a lot.  Maybe it's because we've always done it that way, but we do have a lot of serious convo's through text. It works for us! But the text and run is very annoying! 

@short+sassy.  wtg on the choices made yesterday!  How is H's arm doing? 

• Options

Nice! I love quiet evenings.

We're going to dinner with my dad tonight for his birthday. My sister and I aren't super happy with dad right now and my brother is pissed at my sister. So this should be fun!

Made a new recipe for Mongolian beef last night. It literally took 15 minutes from prep to table. It was good too! If anyone likes to cook, I highly recommend Cooking Light magazines and cookbooks.

ETA: I just remembered I'll be out tomorrow at a continuing ed class. So no Prudie. :(

What’s the recipe??! 15 min prep to table sounds AMAZING!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2018
    kvruns said:

I mainly do the workouts and follow the meal plan. On demand is $100 a year. It fits my budget and schedule and I enjoy them. 

I bought a bag of the shakes. It's ok, but I don't have it everyday. I have one for a quick breakfast or a snack on days our schedule is tight. 

The 21 day fix good plan is pretty good. It talks about all of the containers and crap but I just use measuring cups. 

Eta the food plan is good
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Nice! I love quiet evenings.

We're going to dinner with my dad tonight for his birthday. My sister and I aren't super happy with dad right now and my brother is pissed at my sister. So this should be fun!

Made a new recipe for Mongolian beef last night. It literally took 15 minutes from prep to table. It was good too! If anyone likes to cook, I highly recommend Cooking Light magazines and cookbooks.

ETA: I just remembered I'll be out tomorrow at a continuing ed class. So no Prudie. :(

What’s the recipe??! 15 min prep to table sounds AMAZING!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mongolian-beef

I doubled the sauce and threw in some soba stir fry noodles I found at the store - they're mostly cooked and only take 2 minutes to heat through. They can get a little gummy but are great for super quick stuff like this.

ETA: I know nobody asked, but I had to share this recipe too. It takes a little longer than 15 minutes but H and I FREAKING LOVED IT.

http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/chicken-poblano-stew-polenta

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    @charlotte989875, H and I text a lot.  Maybe it's because we've always done it that way, but we do have a lot of serious convo's through text. It works for us! But the text and run is very annoying! 

Yeah, we don't really do that, so I think that's part of why this is bugging me. 
  • Options

Spring weather is supposed to start here today too!  By the weekend, we should be in the 80s!  How can we go from snow to the 80s in a week?  I know its not climate change - cause that doesn't exist!

I've got some work to get to, but nothing too crazy.  Tonight is yoga after work and I don't know what else.

Charlotte - That would piss me off too!  H and I have had semi-serious convos via text, but never text and runs.  We have also stopped and mentioned it would be better to discuss at home in person.  Or we give a heads up about wanting to talk about something important that night.  So in your example I would say "I think we need to consider dropping our house budget by 20-30k since everything we see needs work.  We can talk more about it later and decide together."

S+S - I hope your inspection goes well and they get there in the beginning of the timeframe!

• Options
    That sucks, Charlotte. He needs to follow through if he starts a conversation like that. 

More clinic today. I would definitely be switching to an adult only degree if I didn’t think it would limit me. This kid coughed like nineteen times in my face yesterday and I was not about that life. i started to feel like I was getting a cold yesterday (probably from the other kid who straight up coughed in my face a few days ago), so I drugged myself with NyQuil and took some zicam. I feel better today, although a little NyQuil hungover. Today is a short day at the clinic and then I have school. 

• Options
    Sorry, but I need to rant about my H for a minute. 

Houses are expensive. I get that. We've done the pre-approval, we've decided what our max budget is (well less than we're approved for), we've gone through how much we're comfortable per month and worked it all out. Great. So now H is all "we have to look at things 20-30 less than our budget, even less if it needs work, and I'm not really comfortable with this anymore". All over text. Then says "I have to go I can't talk about this anymore"

Duuude you started this whole conversation, you dropped this bomb, and now are shutting it down when I ask questions. Why bring it up at all, over texts, if you don't want to talk about it?! 
    Whaaaat!?
    The 20-30 is confusing me, does he mean 20-30% less than what you originally talked about?
    What's he not comfortable with?
    MR. CHARLOTTE YOU CANNOT LEAVE PEOPLE HANGING LIKE THAT!
    Sorry, in my ranting I left some things out. $20,000-30,000 less than what we had set as our budget (which is already less than we're approved for). 

I don't know what he's not comfortable with because he wouldn't effing answer?! GAH, I'm so annoyed. 

While I don't blame him for wanting to perhaps discuss the budget more, the "text and run" is the big annoyance.  It's a serious discussion and should be treated as such, especially if you all don't normally do major decision making via text.

I'm also wondering if he's actually crunched the numbers or just "threw out" the $20K-$30K decrease in the house budget.

A rough and conservative "quick and dirty" calculation on a mortgage payment is to assume the monthly payment will be $7 for every $1,000 of the loan.

For funsies, because I am such a financial nerd lol, I calculated out the difference for a $20K and a $30K decrease on a mortgage loan based on a 30-year amoritization at 5.5%.

I picked a $250K loan amount, just to give you an idea.  It's only the loan amount, not necessarily the house price...after whatever down payment has been made and does not include property tax or insurance.

For $250K, the monthly mortgage payment = $1419

For $230K, the monthly mortgage payment = $1305

For $220K, the monthly mortgage payment = $1249

$114/month difference for a $20K decrease in loan amount and $170/month difference for a $30K decrease*.  Nothing to sneeze at, but still.  Especially considering the tough time you all have been having finding what you want at the current budget.

*FTR, this is true no matter what numbers are plugged in for the loan amount.  However, if the interest rate is lower than 5.5%, it's even less of a difference for a mortgage payment.  But not by that much.  For example, a 5% interest rate is a $161 monthly difference for a $30K decrease.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    M and I do too, but it's not always intentional - just timing
  • Options

Thanks!

He's fine, thanks for asking.  His shoulder is still slightly sore, but that was to be expected.  Probably will still have minor soreness for another week.

He originally told me, for the first few days after it happened, that he needed to be careful with the arm for 3 days.  I took that to mean he only needed to wear the sling for 3 days and he let me live under that "mistaken impression" until the 4th day when I asked, "Oh!  Don't you get to take the sling off today and can start using that arm more?"

Ahem.  So he finally corrected me that, no, he wasn't supposed to move that HAND for 3 days.  But he needs to wear the sling and try not to move that shoulder for 2 weeks.  I was even given carte blanche to scold him if I see him using that shoulder.  Treating that shoulder like a snowflake is part of why we are behind on the repairs next door, especially since it is his right (dominant) side.  Though a lot of what was/is needed is painting and he's been doing that one-handed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Thanks!

He's fine, thanks for asking.  His shoulder is still slightly sore, but that was to be expected.  Probably will still have minor soreness for another week.

He originally told me, for the first few days after it happened, that he needed to be careful with the arm for 3 days.  I took that to mean he only needed to wear the sling for 3 days and he let me live under that "mistaken impression" until the 4th day when I asked, "Oh!  Don't you get to take the sling off today and can start using that arm more?"

Ahem.  So he finally corrected me that, no, he wasn't supposed to move that HAND for 3 days.  But he needs to wear the sling and try not to move that shoulder for 2 weeks.  I was even given carte blanche to scold him if I see him using that shoulder.  Treating that shoulder like a snowflake is part of why we are behind on the repairs next door, especially since it is his right (dominant) side.  Though a lot of what was/is needed is painting and he's been doing that one-handed.

I'm going to get real with you.  I would have milked that for 3 weeks.  

LMAO, I hear ya!  But it is a minor annoyance I have with him.  He doesn't like to give me bad news, so he sometimes puts it off and/or gets "creative" with the facts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi 6. Congrats on the 20 pounds. Hope the family is doing well.
  • Options
    Today is my birthday. H surprised me with a present (doesn't always happen). Went and worked out. Lots of texts from friends and family - fun. Tomorrow night we are going to a wine tasting dinner so that is my birthday dinner celebration.

DD texted to say the babies are growing well and are close to 4 pounds each. They are going to be good size babies. She's 29.5 weeks. 

I'm off to get my free birthday Starbucks drink and bundlet from Nothing Bundt cakes!

• Options
    @6fsn Congrats on the 20lbs! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    @ilovebeachmusic happy birthday!  I just recently learned about Nothing Bundt cakes but haven't tried it yet
  • Options
  • Options
    Happy Birthday ILoveBeachMusic!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday @ILoveBeachMusic!  I'm glad it's been a great bday already.  Enjoy the wine tasting tomorrow.  Sounds fun!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    @ilovebeachmusic happy birthday!  I just recently learned about Nothing Bundt cakes but haven't tried it yet
    They are the best! They started in Chicago. DD and SIL brought one down a couple of years ago at Easter and figured that would be their annual contribution. LOL now we have one! They have all different sizes. The bundlets are big enough to share but since it is my birthday, I'm not sharing. H has his own for dessert tonight  :). For Easter I bought their Bundtini's. They are cupcake size (maybe a tad smaller) and you buy them by the dozen and get to pick whatever flavors you want.
  • Options
    They had the cupcake size ones at work one time but it was a day I was working from home. I was sad to miss out 
  • Options
    Happy Birthday @ilovebeachmusic, yeah those nothing bundt cakes are getting popular around here.  I liked the one with the chocolate chips in them, but find the icing too sweet for me.  Most icings are!