Wedding Woes

Confessions

Re: Confessions

• Guilty of going to Marshall's when we were in in NY State even though we have one here.
    In my defense, it was in the mall attached to our hotel and M was out doing stuff.
    Your Marshall's is better than ours :(
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hi box?!  :p
    I prefer local restaurants to chains too.  Especially when traveling...what’s something that’s best here? Or something I can’t get at home? Sign me up.

Even when dining out at home, we tend to avoid chains.  I’ve eaten at Applebee’s, Cheesecake Factory...even Olive Garden (once!)...they’re not that good.  And not particularly inexpensive.

• eileenrob said:
    I prefer local restaurants to chains too.  Especially when traveling...what’s something that’s best here? Or something I can’t get at home? Sign me up.

Even when dining out at home, we tend to avoid chains.  I’ve eaten at Applebee’s, Cheesecake Factory...even Olive Garden (once!)...they’re not that good.  And not particularly inexpensive.

When I travel, I prefer smaller restaurants. When we used to travel with my parents, my dad would find the most out of the way restaurant in the city where we were, we ate some really great meals. 
  • eileenrob said:

This is my thing with chains; we don't go out that much (not nearly as much as we used to) and it just doesn't feel worth it to me. We'd rather check out a local place (even if it ends up being not the best) because at least we're trying something new. If I'm taking time to go out somewhere and spend the money to do it, I want it to feel like it's worth it. 
  • A confession of sorts- when I travel, I get my restaurant recommendations from Man v Food. LOL. That show has never steered us wrong! Even if the restaurant is a sort-of local chain, we find really good food.
    In Phoenix, for example, we checked out Chompies for sliders and they were just the best sliders ever. Didn't do the slider challenge like Adam did, because we're not crazy, but did have the same sliders in normal portions and they were awesome. 

• @thisismynickname2 MIL is somewhat a foodie, so she'll do something similar but with different shows :)
  • Confession:  I don't understand the Cheesecake Factory love.  I eat there on occasion if we're at the mall and it's happy hour and that's it.  It's meh to me.

But I also hate chain restaurants all the time.

THANK YOU. I'm not a fan at all. Over priced regular food. The cheesecakes are good though.

When we go to Cheesecake Factory, H and I both get the chocolate cake!  We don't like cheesecake! LOL!  He gets the truffle one and I get the fudge one!  

We have gone for an appetizer and dessert on a few occasions.  We totally skip the entrees!

One thing that always cracks me up, is the people who are amazed that there is a 2 hour wait when the lobby and doorway is packed and people are also waiting outside.  We try to go early, if we go.  But the few times we have gone later, we expect the wait and aren't shocked by it.  But we always laugh at the people shocked at the wait!

• A confession of sorts- when I travel, I get my restaurant recommendations from Man v Food. LOL. That show has never steered us wrong! Even if the restaurant is a sort-of local chain, we find really good food.
    In Phoenix, for example, we checked out Chompies for sliders and they were just the best sliders ever. Didn't do the slider challenge like Adam did, because we're not crazy, but did have the same sliders in normal portions and they were awesome. 

We do this too!  Except we also check out Diner, Drive-Inns, and Dives!  We have eaten some amazing meals from those shows!

Chompies is one that we will hit up if ever in Phoenix.  Those sliders looked amazing!

• I eat out at chain restaurants a lot, because it's really all there is in our city for sit down restaurants unless you want to spend a lot of money. There's some great "hole in the wall" type places, but a large reason I choose the chains is because I don't want a "diner" or "to go" type feel to my meal. I can't afford to continuously eat at the more expensive places, so, chain restaurants it is. I do really enjoy Cheesecake though. And Yard House has the best chicken nachos. The second I'm in a city with decent restaurants I'm all about trying new things. I was in heaven when I visited my friend in BH a few months ago. We couldn't leave the apartment because we were studying, but I wanted to door dash all of the food. And because it's L.A., they'll bring you ALL the food. 

• mrsconn23 said:
    Re: eating locally on vacation. 

When we went to Maui, the friends we went with live in San Diego and they are foodies.   I am adventurous enough, but decide pretty quickly what is *not* for me (like I tried marrow not too long ago and that's a 'hell no', but at least I know now).  DH is...not interested in high-end cuisine, because it's $$ and he never feels fulfilled.  But he was a good sport in Maui.  We found a couple places that weren't too expensive and you got a decent amount of food for what you ordered. 

Our last meal in Maui, we went to this restaurant at a farm. Our friends wanted to order a charcuterie board.  It was $$$ and when it came out, it was literally 1 piece of each meat and cheese and like, 4 crackers.  And then the portions of lunch were small as well.  We paid since our friends picked up other tabs on the trip.

I was fine with what I got for lunch, but as soon as our friends dropped us off at the airport DH made a beeline for a TGI Fridays type place to get a burger.  He had so much rage about the expensive charcuterie board. 

I found his anger at the charcuterie board hilarious. It's now a running joke between us.  I always point one out if we're at a restaurant now and ask if we're going to order it.  :D 
    I agree you don't have to eat stuff just because it is local - but at least you tried it and knew you didn't like it.  As for foodie gourmet expensive stuff - yep I'm right there with you. I've had plenty of local meals that aren't like that though.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Re: eating locally on vacation. 

When we went to Maui, the friends we went with live in San Diego and they are foodies.   I am adventurous enough, but decide pretty quickly what is *not* for me (like I tried marrow not too long ago and that's a 'hell no', but at least I know now).  DH is...not interested in high-end cuisine, because it's $$ and he never feels fulfilled.  But he was a good sport in Maui.  We found a couple places that weren't too expensive and you got a decent amount of food for what you ordered. 

Our last meal in Maui, we went to this restaurant at a farm. Our friends wanted to order a charcuterie board.  It was $$$ and when it came out, it was literally 1 piece of each meat and cheese and like, 4 crackers.  And then the portions of lunch were small as well.  We paid since our friends picked up other tabs on the trip.

I was fine with what I got for lunch, but as soon as our friends dropped us off at the airport DH made a beeline for a TGI Fridays type place to get a burger.  He had so much rage about the expensive charcuterie board. 

I found his anger at the charcuterie board hilarious. It's now a running joke between us.  I always point one out if we're at a restaurant now and ask if we're going to order it.  :D 
    I agree you don't have to eat stuff just because it is local - but at least you tried it and knew you didn't like it.  As for foodie gourmet expensive stuff - yep I'm right there with you. I've had plenty of local meals that aren't like that though.
    Oh for sure.  He'll try new places, but if it seems 'too foodie' to him...he might turn his nose up.  ;)  I have no issue with going out with my friends or sisters if I do want to try something out. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2018
    mrsconn23 said:
    snip
    Oh for sure.  He'll try new places, but if it seems 'too foodie' to him...he might turn his nose up;)  I have no issue with going out with my friends or sisters if I do want to try something out. 

If my plate looks too much like a work of art, I have gone to the wrong restaurant, lol.

Do not serve me pretty dots and swirls of food.  Do not turn real food into foam.

I do like charcuterie plates, though ;)But they do seem to often be on the stingy side.  Every once in awhile, I'll go crazy at Sam's Club.  Pick up some of their "fancy" Italian deli meats and some interesting sounding cheeses...and make my own charcuterie plate.

Yeah, that's DH's main issue. If he's going to pay $$$ for some fancy meat and cheese platter, there better be a buttload of it.  Some sort of salami and cheese spread is a staple in our house for snacking.  
  • Confession:  I don't understand the Cheesecake Factory love.  I eat there on occasion if we're at the mall and it's happy hour and that's it.  It's meh to me.

STIB!
    I totally agree. I can't stand chain restaurants. Any meal I've had at one is just blah. I don't get it. 
    But I'm also lucky to live in an area where there are tons of non-chain restaurants and they are good. 
    What really drives me crazy is when people visit NY and eat at chains. 

I also try to eat local food whenever I travel. I will try anything once. 
    A friend of mine went to Chicago for the first time a year or so go ago (which is already crazy since it's so accessible to Detroit but anyways). She was so excited and then where did she go to dinner........ Outback Steakhouse.

STIB!
    I totally agree. I can't stand chain restaurants. Any meal I've had at one is just blah. I don't get it. 
    But I'm also lucky to live in an area where there are tons of non-chain restaurants and they are good. 

A friend of mine went to Chicago for the first time a year or so go ago (which is already crazy since it's so accessible to Detroit but anyways). She was so excited and then where did she go to dinner........ Outback Steakhouse.

OMG! I can't even wrap my head around that one!

STIB!

We used to have Outback here and the only thing I miss is the Blooming Onion. 
  • @short+sassy  NOLA is on my list of go to places, but serious question - is there a lot of spice in the food there? I've heard both sides, but always from travelers and not from natives :\ 
  • edited April 2018
    @short+sassy  NOLA is on my list of go to places, but serious question - is there a lot of spice in the food there? I've heard both sides, but always from travelers and not from natives :\ 
    If you visit NOLA @short+sassy will take you to the best lunch spots!

• @short+sassy  NOLA is on my list of go to places, but serious question - is there a lot of spice in the food there? I've heard both sides, but always from travelers and not from natives :\ 
    I didn't find it "spicy" per se (mind you I grow Carolina Reapers and Ghost peppers, so hey), but the food is really good. There's definitely French and Spanish influences in the cooking as well as some Caribbean feel to the food. It's very flavourful. 

Oh I will be chasing her down when I eventually go ;)
    I didn't find it "spicy" per se (mind you I grow Carolina Reapers and Ghost peppers, so hey), but the food is really good. There's definitely French and Spanish influences in the cooking as well as some Caribbean feel to the food. It's very flavourful. 
    M would love it but I find pepper too spicy sometimes :') lol it's awful

A more accurate description is that there is a lot of FLAVOR in the food here.  Not just Louisiana dishes, but everything.

We do like spicy also and you can find a lot of that here.  But it's not everything and it's not even most things.  If you all don't like spicy, there are still tons of tasty food options, including local dishes.

Here are some tips:

Ask servers about the spiciness level of dishes.  Then ratchet down by "one", whatever they say, lol.  So, if they say it is fairly spicy, have a fire extinguisher ready for your mouth.  If they say it is mild, it's probably most people's version of medium.

Be careful with any food that has the word "Cajun" in the description.  Cajun often = spicy.

----------------------------------------------------------

You often heard the words Cajun or Creole used to describe Louisiana dishes.  Here is a bit of food/culture history.  Though, keep in mind, that people (even here) will sometimes use the words Cajun and Creole interchangeably, when they really shouldn't, imho.

Cajuns -- These were the folks who migrated from present day Nova Scotia to settle in the swamps of Southern Louisiana.  Overall, they did not live in city of NOLA.  They were poor and lived off the land.  And they spiced their s**t up!!!  To make the food more palatable.

Creoles -- By definition, a Creole is someone of French citizenry who was born in a French colony.  So, originally, it didn't necessarily refer to someone from NOLA.  But now that word is fairly synonymous with this area.

The Creoles immigrated here directly from France.  They largely settled in the city and were often people of means.  They brought their French cooking with them and incorporated it with local meats and ingredients.  Traditionally, Creole dishes wouldn't usually be spicy and would be a lot of butter and/or cream sauces.    

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Oh I will be chasing her down when I eventually go ;)

Most definitely!  You never need to twist my arm to go hang out in a place with yummy food :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

A more accurate description is that there is a lot of FLAVOR in the food here.  Not just Louisiana dishes, but everything.

We do like spicy also and you can find a lot of that here.  But it's not everything and it's not even most things.  If you all don't like spicy, there are still tons of tasty food options, including local dishes.

Here are some tips:

Ask servers about the spiciness level of dishes.  Then ratchet down by "one", whatever they say, lol.  So, if they say it is fairly spicy, have a fire extinguisher ready for your mouth.  If they say it is mild, it's probably most people's version of medium.

Be careful with any food that has the word "Cajun" in the description.  Cajun often = spicy.

----------------------------------------------------------

You often heard the words Cajun or Creole used to describe Louisiana dishes.  Here is a bit of food/culture history.  Though, keep in mind, that people (even here) will sometimes use the words Cajun and Creole interchangeably, when they really shouldn't, imho.

Cajuns -- These were the folks who migrated from present day Nova Scotia to settle in the swamps of Southern Louisiana.  Overall, they did not live in city of NOLA.  They were poor and lived off the land.  And they spiced their s**t up!!!  To make the food more palatable.

Creoles -- By definition, a Creole is someone of French citizenry who was born in a French colony.  So, originally, it didn't necessarily refer to someone from NOLA.  But now that word is fairly synonymous with this area.

The Creoles immigrated here directly from France.  They largely settled in the city and were often people of means.  They brought their French cooking with them and incorporated it with local meats and ingredients.  Traditionally, Creole dishes wouldn't usually be spicy and would be a lot of butter and/or cream sauces.    

Funny story, way back when I was in NOLA, I found a children's book written in Cajun patois that I bought for my little brother because when you read it out loud, you sounded like our PM at the time Jean Chretien. 
  • @short+sassy  I didn't know there was such a difference. Actually M's family tree is part of the split in Nova Scotia - he's part Accadian
    So short version, I should look for more Creole style meals? I'm a huge pansy with heat but I can do cream and butter :D 
    But let's be real, I'll have you as my food/tour guide ;)
  • Re: NOLA and food...my confession:  I've had cajun a couple times and it wasn't my thing. There's something about the seasoning that just doesn't do it for me. :/  Blasphemy, I know.  ;) 
  • Or coming to New England and going to (I can't even say it) Red Lobster. 

Confession:  this is where I'm going for lunch today (it's H's favorite and really close to work).  But we're dissing travel and chain choices right......?   I'm in the clear because I'm local.