Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR Sympathy Cards

My FIL passed away 3 weeks ago. He didn't want any service, so we just had him cremated and will privately spread his ashes where he requested. Relatives have sent us sympathy cards, and it feels odd to not acknowledgment them. But it also feels weird to send a thank you card for a card. How should I proceed? We did not have any mass cards made up, as well. 

Re: NWR Sympathy Cards

• Are these people you typically text or email with (or wouldn't feel weird doing that with)? If so I'd send a text or message saying thank you for the card and for thinking of you at this time. 

I'm also really sorry for you loss. 
  • Are these people you typically text or email with (or wouldn't feel weird doing that with)? If so I'd send a text or message saying thank you for the card and for thinking of you at this time. 

Thanks. No, they are not people that I have phone numbers for or email addresses for. 

Thanks. No, they are not people that I have phone numbers for or email addresses for. 
    Then I don't think you need to do anything. Next time you see them you could mention it, but I don't think you need to send cards. That feels, odd. 
  • As long as the cards are just sympathy cards and not a card indicating an offering, I think no note is needed.

I've sent mass cards where a service will be sent for someone who passed.   When I've done that they're generally acknowledged.
  • I'm sorry to hear about your FIL!  I hope you and your H are holding up well.

Etiquette-wise, there isn't any response needed for a sympathy card and I don't expect one when I send one out.

Like @charlotte989875 mentioned, it's nice to informally mention it was received in a text or e-mail, but not necessary.  Since you don't communicate via those means with these people, I also think a, "We got your card.  Thanks for thinking of us," statement the next time you all see or speak to these people is nice.  But also not necessary if you all don't normally speak/see these people.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm very sorry for your loss.

If someone sent you a greeting card and merely signed their name to it, I don't think you need to respond.

But if someone sent you a note or did you a favor like helping out with chores or sent you food or something like that, then a thank-you note seems appropriate.
  • I'm so so sorry for your loss, @climbingwife.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

If someone sent you a greeting card and merely signed their name to it, I don't think you need to respond.

But if someone sent you a note or did you a favor like helping out with chores or sent you food or something like that, then a thank-you note seems appropriate.
    Thanks all. 

I definitely would send a thank you for someone that sent food or did a chore for us. We did have to have a neighbor watch our dog (we both flew down to Florida), and we've given her a thank you card and a bottle of wine.
  • Sorry to hear :(<3

I've received sympathy cards and like others said, as long as there was nothing included {some people will pass along a gift or something of a donation in the person's name} you don't necessarily need to do a 'thank you card' idea.
  • Everyone else has it covered. I’m so sorry for your loss. 

• I'm sorry for your loss, climbingwife.

Thank you notes aren't necessary for sympathy cards. The next time you see those people, you can thank them verbally. 

• I'm sorry for your loss. 

• Sorry for your loss. Agree with PPs