Wedding Woes

More than 4 Coriander's in the world.

Dear Prudence,
A few weeks ago, my partner “Coriander” was facing eviction, which they didn’t tell me about until the day the eviction was taking place. We worked with the leasing office and got an extra two weeks to pay the (already late) rent. I offered to lend Coriander some money, because they’d recently been fired, and they accepted. Later, I asked Coriander what their plan was for next month’s rent (which was due 10 days after the overdue rent). We got into an argument, and Coriander finally admitted they didn’t have any new jobs lined up and did not plan to apply for the job I had essentially secured for them at my company because it “wasn’t their passion.” I said I wasn’t going to help them if they weren’t going to meet me halfway, and took the loan off the table until they could come up with a plan to pay future installments of the rent.

Coriander ignored me for a few days. This morning, they texted and said someone helped them cover the rent after I “bailed on them.” They accused me of completely taking the offer away, and I told them that their perception of the situation was false. I had said I needed to see a plan of action from them before moving forward; instead of making a plan, they got someone else to give them cash. Was I wrong for restructuring my offer? I have never been the type to go back on my word, but I was tired of doing all the heavy lifting in my partner’s life only for them to not do the bare minimum. For what it’s worth, I’ve made a promise to myself not to offer Coriander any more financial help and to let them figure out their life exactly how they see fit, which is something they’ve asked me to do before.
—Never Takes Blame

Re: More than 4 Coriander's in the world.

• Good call!  I think the better question is, why is LW with Coriander to begin with.  People who can't pay their basic bills, but can't be bothered to go to work either need to be cut off and thrown in the street.  Maybe then they'll learn.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure the word "eviction" is used incorrectly in this letter.  That word often is and it is a pet peeve of mine.

Technically, a LL doesn't evict a tenant.  A court does.  I'm sure what was happening is the apartment complex was threatening to FILE for an eviction, if the rent had not been paid in full by the end of that day.  Or if the tenant had not moved out by the end of the day.  I suspect Coriander did not mention that second part ;).

In an eviction court case, some jurisdictions will award both damages and require the tenant to move out.  But, where I live, the ONLY thing the court does is rule that the tenant needs to GTFO.  So, if they have already left and released the unit back to me, there is no reason for me to bother filing or to go to court (if a case has already been scheduled).

Where we are the court will order the tenant to leave and the landlord can call the sheriff to have the order enforced immediately.
  • Good call!  I think the better question is, why is LW with Coriander to begin with.  People who can't pay their basic bills, but can't be bothered to go to work either need to be cut off and thrown in the street.  Maybe then they'll learn.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure the word "eviction" is used incorrectly in this letter.  That word often is and it is a pet peeve of mine.

Technically, a LL doesn't evict a tenant.  A court does.  I'm sure what was happening is the apartment complex was threatening to FILE for an eviction, if the rent had not been paid in full by the end of that day.  Or if the tenant had not moved out by the end of the day.  I suspect Coriander did not mention that second part ;).

In an eviction court case, some jurisdictions will award both damages and require the tenant to move out.  But, where I live, the ONLY thing the court does is rule that the tenant needs to GTFO.  So, if they have already left and released the unit back to me, there is no reason for me to bother filing or to go to court (if a case has already been scheduled).

Where we are the court will order the tenant to leave and the landlord can call the sheriff to have the order enforced immediately.

That's pretty standard though, where I live, I have to wait 2 more days before I can request the constable (if the tenant has not left).

The first step is filing a Pay or Quit Notice.  Most jurisdictions it is either a 3-Day or 5-Day.  Where I live it is a 5-Day.  Which literally gives the tenant the choice of paying in full or leaving in that timeframe.

If they've done neither, then I can go to the courthouse and file for an eviction.

I've twice had people leave after I've served them with the Notice.

I've only once had to file for an eviction and go to court.  I won the case (of course).  He didn't bother showing up.  From my understanding, tenants usually don't in a black/white case.  The judgement gave the guy until 10AM the next day to vacate the premises.  He didn't, my H went back to the clerk's office to request a constable visit.  Then we had to wait for the constable to call me and schedule a time to meet at the unit.

At that point, we can unlock the door and start hauling stuff to the curb.  As it turned out, the guy had left that morning and didn't have any belongings in there.  Which was great.  But he had illegally changed the lock, so we had to force the door open.  Needless to say, my H had gone over there prepared with new locks to install for all the doors.

Back to the court case.  This was hilarious!  There were 3 cases before mine.  Also where the tenant didn't show up.  The judge asked them (and myself) the same three yes/no questions.  Eviction granted each time.  Each case didn't take more than 1 minute.  It was like an assembly line, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eileenrob said:
    I was so excited opening this letter that we were getting a cooking question.  I was ready to encourage LW to try basil or parsley instead.

But LW- your partner is being unfair.  And immature.  Time for a really serious talk.
    I thought it was going to be about beer.  :D

And this is so bizarre to me that I actually wondered if Coriander was a business partner for a bit.  LW's not wrong, but letter sounds mercilessly cold and Coriander sounds astoundingly childlike.  Something just feels off.
  • VarunaTT said:
    eileenrob said:
    I was so excited opening this letter that we were getting a cooking question.  I was ready to encourage LW to try basil or parsley instead.

But LW- your partner is being unfair.  And immature.  Time for a really serious talk.
    I thought it was going to be about beer.  :D

And this is so bizarre to me that I actually wondered if Coriander was a business partner for a bit.  LW's not wrong, but letter sounds mercilessly cold and Coriander sounds astoundingly childlike.  Something just feels off.
    This, too. It just seems weird. I'm wondering if there is an age difference (or other power imbalance) in the relationship. Re-reading the part about 

"For what it’s worth, I’ve made a promise to myself not to offer Coriander any more financial help and to let them figure out their life exactly how they see fit, which is something they’ve asked me to do before.
    "

Makes me think LW might have shared some other thoughts about Coriander's life choices they disagree with.