Budget Weddings Forum

Backyard wedding dance floor dilemma! (Pics)

Hey everyone, looking for some advice. 

We are having our wedding in our backyard (backup plan in case of rain already in the works), cocktail/station style, so our tables will be scattered. However, most of the yard is quite sloped, so while it's okay for yard games, it doesn't really suit a dance floor. There's a sizeable flat section close to the house (pictured, both before and after that cedar bush was trimmed back) that I would like to use for both the ceremony and reception. We would get married on those steps, then have the music and dance floor on the bottom level.

Trouble is, the dance floor would go directly in the middle of that flat section, which means it would get in the way of the ceremony foot traffic and chairs (my "aisle" goes from the cement pad closest to the house to the steps, so right over where the dance floor would go). My question is this: Would it be too much trouble to assign people to move chairs and assemble the dance floor between the ceremony and dinner, or should I just skip it and go with just grass? Alternatively, I could use the deck as the dance floor, but I'm trying to avoid that. We are already requesting guests not wear heels. 

Re: Backyard wedding dance floor dilemma! (Pics)

• I think you should have the dance floor laid out and just walk over it. 
  • I think you should have the dance floor laid out and just walk over it. 
    This.  There is no reason to not have the dance floor put down prior to everything starting.  Also, I don't believe dance floors are the quickest thing to put together so having that done between the ceremony and reception will just be a pain in the butt.

If you want chairs moved then you need to hire people to do that.  Don't ask your guests to move things or set things up.  I would not be thrilled to do that if I were in a nice dress and just looking to have a fun time at your wedding.

As for the shoes.  You can let guests know that the majority of your wedding will be on grass, but you can't tell people not to wear something.
  • I'm requesting they not wear heels, not demanding. Also, my question was about the dancefloor, not the shoes.
  • I'm requesting they not wear heels, not demanding. Also, my question was about the dancefloor, not the shoes.
    Why though? If they want to wear heels and sink into the grass why would you care? It is just such a petty “request”.  All you need to do is let them know it is in a grassy area and let adults dress themselves (and their children). What they decide doesn't concern you. 

I agree with PP about the dance floor. Have it laid already and if you are going to move the chairs after the ceremony, hire someone. 
    This. Our ceremony was on grass and we noted that on our website. Most of the guests didn't have to walk super far on the grass, but I did tell the BMs their their walk was longer and let them know it was cool if they wanted to wear flat sandals. One of my sisters is super good at wearing heels and chose to wear some ginormous ones and had no issues walking in.  I've also been to weddings that didn't mention part of it was on grass and ended up struggling in heels, so just the heads up would have been appreciated. Saying "Please don't wear heels" is rude, saying "The ceremony and reception will take place on a grassy yard" is giving guests helpful information. They're adults, what they chose to do with it is their choice.
    Sorry but requesting, IMO, is just a "nice" way of demanding something.  It would be like if you requested all your guests wear blue or request that they all wear hats.  Most people will be irked that you are requesting that they dress a specific way.  But providing helpful information such as "wedding will take place on a grassy yard" allows adults to make their own choice instead of being told what to do.

Also if you include something in your post that people do not agree with they are allowed to comment on it. 
  • I guess I just don't understand how asking people to not wear high heels is any different than requesting black tie, or a certain dress code. Is it rude to ask people to dress up?
    Also, say we were having our reception at a venue that didn't allow heels inside, due to fir floors? We were looking at a venue that simply did not allow heels inside, prior to deciding to do a backyard wedding.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    If you're at a venue with its own requirements, then describing venue dress code requirements passes muster because you don't own or control the premises -- the venue owner does. Therefore, you're not the one setting the rules.

But if you're the homeowner or principal tenant and you control the premises, it's inhospitable and rude to give instructions or even requests about what to wear.

Also, don't "assign duties" to guests. They're there to witness your ceremony and then be hosted -- not to "work" your wedding.

I would either arrange your dance area ahead of the ceremony along with the rest of the area, or hire and pay someone to set up the dance area for you. But it should not be the "job" of anyone in your wedding party or any guests.