Wedding Woes
Options

He's mansplaining.

Dear Prudence,
My husband is a “talking head.” He never stops “explaining” things, regardless of whether anyone has demonstrated interest, and will grab onto a subject—almost always something negative—and go on and on in a loop until I stop him. I try to do this with patience and concern for his feelings, but really it’s becoming exhausting. Is this a mental illness?
—My Obnoxious Husband

Re: He's mansplaining.

• Options
    Meh.  I know people who want to argue.  

He sounds like a shit stirrer but not necessarily a misogynist.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    mrsconn23 said:
    Dear Prudence,
    My husband is a “talking head.” He never stops “explaining” things, regardless of whether anyone has demonstrated interest, and will grab onto a subject—almost always something negative—and go on and on in a loop until I stop him. I try to do this with patience and concern for his feelings, but really it’s becoming exhausting. Is this a mental illness?
    —My Obnoxious Husband
    Maybe not mental illness as much as delusion?  And by that I don’t mean Delusional Disorder or delusions of grandeur as much as plain ol’ being surrounded by people too polite to interrupt or break away from the conversation.  
    LW definitely sounds over it though...at the very least she should tell him how she feels.
  • Options
    My boyfriend has a tendency towards this. I try to gently point out that he's being a know-it-all, and he'll move on to something else. It's just an irritating personality quirk, sounds like; train him not to if it bothers you so much. 
  • Options

It doesn't sound like he's mansplaining necessarily - just one of those people who loves to talk about eeeverything and doesn't always take social cues to stop.  From the letter, it doesn't seem to me like he's being malicious or condescending?  Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

• Options
    LOL at asking Prudie to diagnose a mental illness.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Sounds to me like he has the mental illness of jerkdom. It's curable, but only if the jerk cares about the opinions and feelings of others.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Dear Prudence,
    —My Obnoxious Husband
    It's just common behavior among men to think that they are superior to women and the have a general idea that we women don't understand anything even slightly complex. It's kind of idiotic for men to be thinking like this tbh.
    My fiance does this too. Its not uncommon. Just ignore him dear.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Dear Prudence,
    —My Obnoxious Husband
    It's just common behavior among men to think that they are superior to women and the have a general idea that we women don't understand anything even slightly complex. It's kind of idiotic for men to be thinking like this tbh.
    See the source image
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Dear Prudence,
    —My Obnoxious Husband
    See the source image
    I don't think it's gendered at all.

Some people just think they know it all, and worse, everyone wants to hear their unsolicited opinions.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I suspect LW's husband does this to everyone regardless of gender.