Registry and Gift Forum

Online vs. Physical Store

Hey everyone!

Long time lurker since my sister and best friend were engaged and married.  It's finally my turn and I cannot seem to find an answer for this.  I want to register at Macy's and Crate & Barrel.  Both stores are not in my town where we will be getting married.  They are however located in the cities where our out of town guests live.  Do I have to select a store that's in my town?  I'm not a huge fan of Target and Bed Bath and Beyond. My fear is I will register at BBB and get a bunch of gift cards I won't use.  My sister finds it weird that I'm choosing stores that aren't local to my friends.  My best friend thinks it's fine since a lot of people shop online anyway.  Any suggestions? I just don't want to make things difficult for anyone.

Thanks so much!

Re: Online vs. Physical Store

• Hey everyone!

Long time lurker since my sister and best friend were engaged and married.  It's finally my turn and I cannot seem to find an answer for this.  I want to register at Macy's and Crate & Barrel.  Both stores are not in my town where we will be getting married.  They are however located in the cities where our out of town guests live.  Do I have to select a store that's in my town?  I'm not a huge fan of Target and Bed Bath and Beyond. My fear is I will register at BBB and get a bunch of gift cards I won't use.  My sister finds it weird that I'm choosing stores that aren't local to my friends.  My best friend thinks it's fine since a lot of people shop online anyway.  Any suggestions? I just don't want to make things difficult for anyone.

Thanks so much!

This is something to think about in comparison with your guest list. For me, I knew our grandparents don't do anything online, let alone shopping and they preferred to go to a store. If your guest list is mostly people who do and will shop online, I see no problem with registering where you want.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • How far will your OOT guests be traveling? Would those guests likely be bringing a gift when them or shipping it ahead of time? I want to say both of those stores offer free shipping if you order in-store, and have a reasonable free shipping dollar amount when ordering online, so that shouldn't be an issue. If they're going to order online anyway it doesn't matter where the store is located, but some people do like to check out gift items in person before ordering online. 

You may also need to just think about your guest list and how many people are comfortable ordering and shopping online. If you do want to pick a "just in case" local registry, Target isn't a bad choice. If you do end up with a bunch of gift cards, they have such a wide variety of items it wouldn't be hard to use them up. 
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2018

I agree with PP's that it really depends on your guest list and I think it depends a little on what type of pre-wedding events you're having locally.

There is so much overlap in selection between Macy's and Bed Bath and Beyond in terms of brands that I would probably choose to register at both places.  Maybe pick what you like at Macy's and then if it's also available at BBB - register for it there.  That way local people have an in-store option as well, but you can still have your C&B/Macy's registries for items that are more unique/exclusive. 

Also would just add that while I totally understand not loving BBB, it's really hard to deny that their coupons are great - which could be helpful to your guests as well.  Shipping at Crate & Barrel is awful and rarely free below $99 (which is way more than I would spend on a shower gift and I usually give cash for weddings) so that's something to consider as well.  For example - if I have a $50 gift budget, I would rather get you a $50 gift, than a $35 gift with $15 shipping. 

ETA:

If C&B and Macy's are not local to you, also consider any returns you might be making.  Shipping gifts back (in my opinion) is a huge PITA - at least one local store registry would alleviate that greatly.

• Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate it.  Great point on gift returns.  I didn't even think of that!  I shared this with my fiancé and we both agreed to nix Macys and do Belks which is local to us.  My heart is still set on C&B but I may still change my mind. :)

Thanks again for all the quick responses and information :)

• Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate it.  Great point on gift returns.  I didn't even think of that!  I shared this with my fiancé and we both agreed to nix Macys and do Belks which is local to us.  My heart is still set on C&B but I may still change my mind. :)

Thanks again for all the quick responses and information :)

If there are particular things at C&B that you really, really want, you could make a small registry with just those items. You wouldn't have to make it public. I believe they do a completion discount, so you could purchase the items off your registry after your wedding at a lower price, using any gift money you received. 
  • Ok, I'm going to make a suggestion and people may flay me for it, oh well. The point of a gift registry is to give ideas of what YOU WANT. It's not a requirement for people to buy off a registry, much less buy a boxed gift at all.

If you want C&B, register at C&B. Why register for stuff you don't want at an accessible store just for the sake of people being able to buy you something that... you don't really want?

If someone's in a town without a C&B, or finds it too expensive, they can still give cash or buy a lovely silver picture frame of their choosing, or a metal chicken. 

For the record, we only registered at C&B. (Didn't have a shower, and the registry was pretty small.) That's the style of stuff we like, end of story. 

I totally agree with everything above and I would never suggest people register for things they don't want just so it's easier for their guests. 

However, given the specific stores OP listed, it's likely A LOT of items could be at multiple stores.  Crate and Barrel brand stuff like dishes and glassware is awesome and unique to that store.  Of course, it depends on WHAT you're going to register for, but if you're registering for every OXO Goodgrips kitchen utensil or a Kitchenaid mixer or a generic bamboo cutting board - you don't NEED to do that at C&B.  Especially since it seems like her friends and family (the ones actually buying the gifts) would maybe prefer an in-store option I think she should at least consider it. 

You don't HAVE to think of your guests when you're registering, but I think it's nice to at least consider.

• Ok, I'm going to make a suggestion and people may flay me for it, oh well. The point of a gift registry is to give ideas of what YOU WANT. It's not a requirement for people to buy off a registry, much less buy a boxed gift at all.

If you want C&B, register at C&B. Why register for stuff you don't want at an accessible store just for the sake of people being able to buy you something that... you don't really want?

If someone's in a town without a C&B, or finds it too expensive, they can still give cash or buy a lovely silver picture frame of their choosing, or a metal chicken. 

For the record, we only registered at C&B. (Didn't have a shower, and the registry was pretty small.) That's the style of stuff we like, end of story. 

I agree with this as well.  Register for things you want.  Then it is up to your guests to decide if they actually want to purchase those items.  Why register for things you don't like just because you know your guests will be more likely to buy them?  In that case your guests have basically wasted their time and money and you are stuck with stuff you don't like/have to make a bunch of returns and are stuck with store credit to places you may not generally shop at.
  • When it comes to registries - IMO it's considerate to consider your guests who do not online shop or have computers (yes, there is still a percentage of the population that prefers to go into a tangible store)..  That's not to say you need a big registry.  C&B - I couldn't even tell you where the nearest one to me is and I'm in a major metro suburb.  Consider adding someplace that is convenient for the majority of your guests in general even if you just upgrade some everyday items (silverware, laundry baskets, throw pillows, kitchen towels, etc.), which is also for those with lower price-points for gifts.  

I'd rather have more options for where couples are registered than a bunch of random places that aren't within 2 hours of me (had a cousin do this - two places entirely online and two that were at least 2 hours drive from the average guest).  Yes, the registry is for ideas, and I'll admit I've gone to many a couple's registry to find what silverware set they're registered for and either purchase it someplace cheaper or upgrade to things like the cake server set to match from someplace like replacements ltd. or extra forks/spoons, etc., but remember, if the registry isn't convenient for your guests you may end up with random stuff you can't return because there are guests who will only do physical gifts and not cash/gift cards.  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    When it comes to registries - IMO it's considerate to consider your guests who do not online shop or have computers (yes, there is still a percentage of the population that prefers to go into a tangible store)..  That's not to say you need a big registry.  C&B - I couldn't even tell you where the nearest one to me is and I'm in a major metro suburb.  Consider adding someplace that is convenient for the majority of your guests in general even if you just upgrade some everyday items (silverware, laundry baskets, throw pillows, kitchen towels, etc.), which is also for those with lower price-points for gifts.  

I'd rather have more options for where couples are registered than a bunch of random places that aren't within 2 hours of me (had a cousin do this - two places entirely online and two that were at least 2 hours drive from the average guest).  Yes, the registry is for ideas, and I'll admit I've gone to many a couple's registry to find what silverware set they're registered for and either purchase it someplace cheaper or upgrade to things like the cake server set to match from someplace like replacements ltd. or extra forks/spoons, etc., but remember, if the registry isn't convenient for your guests you may end up with random stuff you can't return because there are guests who will only do physical gifts and not cash/gift cards.  
    Eh? I kinda don’t care if you refuse to figure out how to find a store. It’s not inconsiderate of me to register where I want. If it’s just too difficult for you, totally fine. Feel free not to use it. Also “convenient for the majority of your guests” includes online. Unless the majority of your guests are Amish, only a few will be unable to shop online. 
  • MesmrEwe said:
    When it comes to registries - IMO it's considerate to consider your guests who do not online shop or have computers (yes, there is still a percentage of the population that prefers to go into a tangible store)..  That's not to say you need a big registry.  C&B - I couldn't even tell you where the nearest one to me is and I'm in a major metro suburb.  Consider adding someplace that is convenient for the majority of your guests in general even if you just upgrade some everyday items (silverware, laundry baskets, throw pillows, kitchen towels, etc.), which is also for those with lower price-points for gifts.  

Eh? I kinda don’t care if you refuse to figure out how to find a store. It’s not inconsiderate of me to register where I want. If it’s just too difficult for you, totally fine. Feel free not to use it. Also “convenient for the majority of your guests” includes online. Unless the majority of your guests are Amish, only a few will be unable to shop online. 
    Yes, you are entitled to register wherever you want - your guests are also entitled to get you a bunch of random crap you don't want without gift receipts because they either don't shop online and/or will only give physical gifts.  While you are tech savvy or can travel two hours to the nearest store, not everyone attending your wedding will be, that is the point I'm trying to make.  Having a basic registry even if only a few items at some place easy for the majority of your guests to shop is a good idea for that reason. 

Horror stories from previous brides exist for a reason!  
  • I think a lot of this is about trying to figure out things to a certain logistical degree.

My grandmother was alive when I got married so she went to Macy's to shop.   Other family members enjoyed that department store so we picked it.   We also picked Bed Bath and Beyond due to their same selection and fantastic return policy and registry management (compared to Target which at least at the time had notoriously horrible reviews.)

We did pick those places because you could shop either online or in a store.  I think if you pick one of each you're fine.   But some people who complain will complain.   I wasn't going to pick Penney's, Sears or another store like Khols or Target.   We went with what suited our tastes.