Chit Chat

Meghan and Harry?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting up at 4 a.m. est to see it as it happens or do I settle for the snips they'll be televising for the week? Who will be watching The Wedding? 

Re: Meghan and Harry?

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I’m up at 4:30 M-F for my side job, so I usually like to sleep in on weekends (aka 5:30ish when my kids get up :p )...I’m not going to set my alarm tomorrow, but I’ll definuely tune in whenever I’m up and the kids are content/distracted enough.  
  • edited May 2018
    I was up for Diana and Charles's wedding and Kate and William's wedding. I'm not a morning person, but I may get up, sip some tea and fall asleep on the couch watching the wedding. I'll be the only one up in the house, so that's a plus.

• I also watched Charles & Diana's, and William & Kate's...  Though I'm not planning to wake up for this one...
  • ei34ei34 member
    Meghan looks so pretty from the tiny glimpse we’ve had. I really like the top of the dress.
  • Not me.  But I did google the dress first thing.  I wasn't happy with it.  I loved her veil and tiara though, but the dress didn't seem seem to fit her properly in the top (though I know that's how it was likely supposed to fit)

• Not me.  But I did google the dress first thing.  I wasn't happy with it.  I loved her veil and tiara though, but the dress didn't seem seem to fit her properly in the top (though I know that's how it was likely supposed to fit)
    I slept through the wedding and am switching between the real time coverage on BBC and the recaps on CNN. I see what you mean about the dress. It's loose and sloppy looking. What a strange choice.

I slept through the wedding and am switching between the real time coverage on BBC and the recaps on CNN. I see what you mean about the dress. It's loose and sloppy looking. What a strange choice.

I think it’s stunning and fits perfectly. 
  • That sermon, tho!
  • ei34ei34 member
    I liked the dress but I loved her veil and her make up...so simple but beautiful.  I don’t wear make up so when I got married my big thing to my MUA was very natural looking...if Meghan had already been married I would’ve used her as a reference. 

I teared up when Harry and William walked just the two of them into the church.  I flashed back to them walking during Princess Diana’s funeral.  The music during the ceremony was really pretty. 
  • eileenrob said:
    I liked the dress but I loved her veil and her make up...so simple but beautiful.  I don’t wear make up so when I got married my big thing to my MUA was very natural looking...if Meghan had already been married I would’ve used her as a reference. 

I teared up when Harry and William walked just the two of them into the church.  I flashed back to them walking during Princess Diana’s funeral.  The music during the ceremony was really pretty. 
    I didn't like the dress or her makeup.  And I generally love her makeup.   I didn't hate it, but I was underwhelmed. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Personally, I liked the dress and thought she looked beautiful. The veil was absolutely stunning. 

• The dress seemed very plain and I agree a little loose. She looked stunning regardless - hair, veil, makeup.
  • edited May 2018
    Yes, she looked stunning, regardless of my opinion of the dress. She is a very elegant woman. I'm enjoying the guests' outfits, too. 
    I hadn't noticed this before, but the many of the men are wearing colored vests, ties and pocket squares with their morning suits. I don't remember that trend at previous royal weddings. It made me think of CMGra. I don't imagine she'd approve.

• I loved her mother's dress.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I loved her mother's dress.
    Her mother looked gorgeous. Loved her dress!
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2018
    I've tried to ignore the royal wedding stuff, but I do like weddings so I looked at a few pictures. 

I don't like her dress very much at all. I was very underwhelmed. I think it is a bit loose, and it's way too simple for me. And I say this as someone who likes simple wedding dresses! I see stuff about "it was designed by so and so," and I'm thinking "what design?" It's a boat-neck, long sleeved sheath dress that was lengthened and flared at the bottom. 

If she loves it, that's all that matters. I like that they (she and Kate) go for classic and simple styles, I just was expecting something a little fancier. 

ETA: I like her veil though!
  • lyndausvi said:

I didn't like the dress or her makeup.  And I generally love her makeup.   I didn't hate it, but I was underwhelmed. 

This.  The dress was just too plain and did not fit her properly.  That dress, mainly the arms and bodice, needed to be fitted.  She just ended up looking frumpy and hiding her great figure.  And her makeup...what makeup?!  Her hair was not good either.  It was slowly falling apart through the ceremony.  I get that she may be a more simple/laid back lady but for crying out loud you are getting married to a Prince in front of millions of people, so try not to look like you just rolled out of bed.
  • lyndausvi said:

This.  The dress was just too plain and did not fit her properly.  That dress, mainly the arms and bodice, needed to be fitted.  She just ended up looking frumpy and hiding her great figure.  And her makeup...what makeup?!  Her hair was not good either.  It was slowly falling apart through the ceremony.  I get that she may be a more simple/laid back lady but for crying out loud you are getting married to a Prince in front of millions of people, so try not to look like you just rolled out of bed.
    Harsh. 

I wish I looked half as good as she did, on a good day, let along rolling out of bed. 
  • I was absolutely WOW'ed by her veil.  But I was disappointed with and underwhelmed by her dress.  I also thought it was too plain, even considering that she was going for a more simple, elegant look.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:

I think it's amusing that unless you're a professional seamstress any of us dare to critique the fit of her dress.   

I guess I need to know where you buy your mattress. 
  • I was absolutely WOW'ed by her veil.  But I was disappointed with and underwhelmed by her dress.  I also thought it was too plain, even considering that she was going for a more simple, elegant look.

it was a simple dress, but I think that's what I loved about it.  At first I thought "boring" but then it really grew on me as I saw more and more pics.  It's timeless and classy.  I was not a fan of Kate's dress and maybe she was going for something TOO different so I like that Meghan scaled it back.

• banana468 said:
    lyndausvi said:

I think it's amusing that unless you're a professional seamstress any of us dare to critique the fit of her dress.   

Then I guess none of us should be critiquing anything, ever unless we are a professional in that arena.
  • ok, I can see the pale yellow in this picture. And a great picture it is. Kate also looked great!

• Please tell me that someone didn't delete her account because of this thread. 

• Please tell me that someone didn't delete her account because of this thread. 

Apparently.

I just commented on the other thread on WW, but I did think at times the dress was a bit loose around the bust. However, with a boat neck and long sleeves, maybe it couldn't be skin-tight or else she'd have limited arm movement. I know nothing about fashion; maybe that kind of silk isn't that flexible. 

The other thing about the dress- if you look at the shape head-on, you'll notice it's not as full as Kate's was. Somehow, it's narrow in front with a flap-like train. I LOVED that. Very sculptural and put a modern spin on a classic look. 

• banana468 said:
    lyndausvi said:

Then I guess none of us should be critiquing anything, ever unless we are a professional in that arena.
    Well, in a way yeah.

I think it's all in how the opinion is stated.   Our opinions are opinions and not facts.  So I think it's perfectly fine to have an opinion on how something is dont but to present it as a fact and as 'wrong' implies that we know the intent of the dress designer, the makeup artist or her hair stylist. 

It's perfectly fine to dislike her dress style, her hair style or her makeup (assuming that dislike isn't clouded in some racist judgment) but when that opinion is presented as if she did something wrong that's when I think the statements themselves are at minimum a poor wording choice.
  • I think there are royal dress codes. Arms covered, nothing tight fitting, no knees. Probably nothing by Pnina Tornai. Thinking about Diana's dress, I didn't like that either. That was also loose and huge overdone a la 1980s style. Maybe Meghan Markle was looking for a timeless look. I loved her reception dress. 

• I think there are royal dress codes. Arms covered, nothing tight fitting, no knees. Probably nothing by Pnina Tornai. Thinking about Diana's dress, I didn't like that either. That was also loose and huge overdone a la 1980s style. Maybe Meghan Markle was looking for a timeless look. I loved her reception dress. 
    What always bothered me about Diana's dress was how wrinkled it got in the car. The designers definitely solved that problem with both Kate's and Meghan's dresses, thank goodness!