Wedding Woes

Royal Wedding

Re: Royal Wedding

• You said on CC that it looked like she rolled out of bed! It's just such a critical position to take of someone that looked absolutely gorgeous. It's nonsensical to me. And yes, sexist. She had a few strands of hair out of place and didn't cake makeup on her face, and that should be picked apart? Come on. 
    It is my freaking opinion.  Why do you care what I think so much?
  • You know, I think what annoys me about the nitpicking is this idea that women/brides are supposed to look perfect in every right, and it's really sexist. She can't have one hair of our place? She wasn't wearing enough makeup? There was a wrinkle on her dress? It wasn't tight enough? No one is nitpicking anything about Harry, or any men that attended. 
    Also she was clearly wearing makeup- way more than just mascara. So what is the issue? That you could still see her skin? That she went with a nude lip? That she likes her hair with a bit more movement to it? I’m just not comfortable criticizing women’s hair for being messy, and in particular that critique has an ugly history of white ladies finding problems with black hair. 
    I can see a few stray hairs coming out but I didn't think poorly of it.   I thought it softened the up do and so many updos can look a little harsh.  

And her makeup was natural.   But it was definitely make up!    

• You said on CC that it looked like she rolled out of bed! It's just such a critical position to take of someone that looked absolutely gorgeous. It's nonsensical to me. And yes, sexist. She had a few strands of hair out of place and didn't cake makeup on her face, and that should be picked apart? Come on. 
    Because I truly can't wrap my head around the idea that someone would think she looked like she "rolled out of bed". And I'd like to call attention to the fact that:
    A. unless you have the same hair/experience as a POC, maybe you shouldn't criticize how her hair looks. Like Starmoon said, white women have a history of criticizing hair that doesn't fit into their molds, and what they think it should look like. 
    B. we don't all need to look perfect, and have our hair shellacked to the point where it doesn't move, and cake on makeup. This is such an outdated way of thinking. 

Maybe me calling your attention to these things will help change it. 

Because I truly can't wrap my head around the idea that someone would think she looked like she "rolled out of bed". And I'd like to call attention to the fact that:
    A. unless you have the same hair/experience as a POC, maybe you shouldn't criticize how her hair looks. Like Starmoon said, white women have a history of criticizing hair that doesn't fit into their molds, and what they think it should look like. 
    B. we don't all need to look perfect, and have our hair shellacked to the point where it doesn't move, and cake on makeup. This is such an outdated way of thinking. 

Maybe me calling your attention to these things will help change it. 
    Apparently nah just going to make her delete her account. 
  • I noticed some wispy pieces of hair but that's how she always styles it. Every photo of her prior to this has those short pieces around her face, and she mostly wears her hair long and flowing- so I was actually surprised she wore an updo. Just my two cents there. 

I totally dug her entire look. Having a chic, modern dress with that show-stopping veil and tiara was amazing. You can't even compare it to Kate's wedding look because the styles are just so different. You have traditional versus modern/chic. If I had to choose a look, I'd go with Meghan's, but that's not to take away from my opinion of how Kate looked in any way. 

Kate's worn that whitish coat dress three times now- the Queen's birthday, and George's baptism. It looks cream-ish to me, not white. Loved her hat. 

The ceremony was just beautiful. I had fun getting up at 4:15 CT and watching the guests arrive. Amal! Amal Clooney! Best dressed! With Serena William's as my second best dressed- her dress was perfectly fitted and I loved her fascinator. 

• I noticed some wispy pieces of hair but that's how she always styles it. Every photo of her prior to this has those short pieces around her face, and she mostly wears her hair long and flowing- so I was actually surprised she wore an updo. Just my two cents there. 

I totally dug her entire look. Having a chic, modern dress with that show-stopping veil and tiara was amazing. You can't even compare it to Kate's wedding look because the styles are just so different. You have traditional versus modern/chic. If I had to choose a look, I'd go with Meghan's, but that's not to take away from my opinion of how Kate looked in any way. 

Kate's worn that whitish coat dress three times now- the Queen's birthday, and George's baptism. It looks cream-ish to me, not white. Loved her hat. 

The ceremony was just beautiful. I had fun getting up at 4:15 CT and watching the guests arrive. Amal! Amal Clooney! Best dressed! With Serena William's as my second best dressed- her dress was perfectly fitted and I loved her fascinator. 
    Loved Serena! Also Lady Kitty Spencer. 
  • Completely underwhelmed with her dress, makeup and hair.  The dress did not fit her properly and made her look a bit frumpy/old.  I thought the tiara was a bit heavy when everything else was so light and simple. . . I was so excited to see her get out of the car and when she finally did it was "womp, womp."

Completely agree, especially the bolded, lol. 

There is so much hype over the gowns and accessories leading up to these royal weddings, and that Givenchy dress was a big disappointment to me.

Not a fan of her hair style, either.  It was just Meh. . . she has worn other, much prettier updos that I think would have complimented her face and that gorgeous tiara better.

Other than the tiara and her cathedral veil (I Love cathedral veils!) I thought her look was just Meh.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I loved everything about her look and damn - that veil was incredible.  I do think (having scrutinized thoroughly after reading some of the comments) that her dress could have been slightly more tailored in the bust and shoulder area, but omg gorgeous all around.

Her reception gown was also amazing!!

• This is a bit off topic for the wedding itself.  But that much older, estranged sister seems like a real piece of work.  I got the impression she hasn't spoken to Meaghan in years.  They aren't even close enough that she got an invite to the wedding.  Yet she is all kinds of chatty and has a book out (or is coming out), supposedly about the Markle family.  But I suspect is to be even wordier about how awful she thinks Meaghan is.

Even if every single word is true, she needs to STFU and stop being such a media whore.  Resist temptation for 15-minute fame and cash, just because her famous sister is now even more famous.  I find it so sleazy.

I think she fell or tripped and took out her ankle (not sure if it was broken or sprained) while she was over there to be a 'reporter' for a gossip rag. 

Karma doesn't always take hold in such an immediate way.  Should make one think about their choices, no?  ;) 
  • I remember reading that she was supposed to host some kind of watching event. It's all just gross. 
  • Sidenote- Princess Anne looked like she was wearing Hugh Hefner's robe. 

(She's in the background on the photo on this link:

http://www.stylebistro.com/What+Celebrity+Guests+Wore+To+Meghan+Markle+And+Prince+Harry's+Wedding/articles/T3LWREO_2z6/Sophie+Countess+of+Wessex

• I remember reading that she was supposed to host some kind of watching event. It's all just gross. 

I was just reading an article where this same sister was bashing Meaghan's mother for "cashing in" on the wedding.  Get Out!!!  Did she really just say/tweet that with a straight face?  Whoever's picture is currently in the phrase dictionary for "pot calling the kettle black" needs to move on over for this woman.

The same article mentioned the watching party she was having at her home with reporters, for supposedly a low 6-figures sum, smh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Didn't the family just show up in the airport ready to roll?  

I don't care who you are - if you're not invited then don't make it about you.   It doesn't matter whether you were twins or if you're now estranged due to Meghan's selfishness.   You weren't invited so stay out.

Clearly turning HER wedding into your paycheck is a good way to get off the Christmas card list. 
  • I wish we wore hats in America!
    Lol, I'm a bit love/hate on that.  Scrolling through the pics, I mostly either loved a hat or I hated it.  Generally speaking, if it looked like a sculpture, a helicopter pad, or an overgrown flower garden, I was not a fan, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Some of DH's cousins go all in for Easter with hats and in some of the weddings they did it up hat-style.   I LOVED it. 

I can't make a baseball cap work (I look like a My Buddy doll) but something with a big fascinator?  I think I'd be SO GAME. 
  • This is a bit off topic for the wedding itself.  But that much older, estranged sister seems like a real piece of work.  I got the impression she hasn't spoken to Meaghan in years.  They aren't even close enough that she got an invite to the wedding.  Yet she is all kinds of chatty and has a book out (or is coming out), supposedly about the Markle family.  But I suspect is to be even wordier  about how awful she thinks Meaghan is.

Even if every single word is true, she needs to STFU and stop being such a media whore.  Resist temptation for 15-minute fame and cash, just because her famous sister is now even more famous.  I find it so sleazy.

The half-sister is in her fifties so she is a lot older than Meghan. My impression is that Meghan and her sister were brought up in two separate families- and don't know each other well. There is also a half brother who has not engaged in the trash talking, as far as I know. The sister just seems like a jealous, bitter woman, which may be why she is an estranged sister.

I wish we wore hats in America!
    I loved looking at all the hats. Is there an art to choosing and wearing a hat? I don't think they look good on me.

Lol, I'm a bit love/hate on that.  Scrolling through the pics, I mostly either loved a hat or I hated it.  Generally speaking, if it looked like a sculpture, a helicopter pad, or an overgrown flower garden, I was not a fan, lol.
    Ditto! I thought Megan's mom's hat was nice. 

I actually started googling where an American can get a British hat, and I couldn't find anything anywhere! According to my friend who lives in the U.K., any standard clothes shop, including lower end ones, will have a millinery section over there. 
    Ditto! I thought Megan's mom's hat was nice. 

I actually started googling where an American can get a British hat, and I couldn't find anything anywhere! According to my friend who lives in the U.K., any standard clothes shop, including lower end ones, will have a millinery section over there. 

I liked Meaghan's mom's whole outfit, hat and all.  At first glance, it looked like a pretty mint suit.  But in some pic I ran across, it was closer up and there was white embroidery detail along the edges also.  That notched it up from "nice" to "super cute" in my book.

Oh wow!  That's interesting.  There is a hat store for men in NOLA.  Nice hats! It's a millinery store.  Not baseball hats, lol.  I will often see women going to church wearing lovely hats that coordinate with their outfit, though they are typically older generations.  Similar to, but a little different from the British fascinators.

Come to think of it, there was a greeter at my local Costco who used to wear fascinators.  She had a few of them.  I suspect she doesn't work there anymore because I haven't seen her in a long time.  But if I do, I'll find out where she obtains them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    YES! I love hats! 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018

This is a bit off topic for the wedding itself.  But that much older, estranged sister seems like a real piece of work.  I got the impression she hasn't spoken to Meaghan in years.  They aren't even close enough that she got an invite to the wedding.  Yet she is all kinds of chatty and has a book out (or is coming out), supposedly about the Markle family.  But I suspect is to be even wordier  about how awful she thinks Meaghan is.

The half-sister is in her fifties so she is a lot older than Meghan. My impression is that Meghan and her sister were brought up in two separate families- and don't know each other well. There is also a half brother who has not engaged in the trash talking, as far as I know. The sister just seems like a jealous, bitter woman, which may be why she is an estranged sister.

I wish we wore hats in America!
    I loved looking at all the hats. Is there an art to choosing and wearing a hat? I don't think they look good on me.

I've gone through phases where I've occasionally worn hats.  Though not fascinators, probably only because I normally don't run across them.  My hats have been more berets, fedoras, cowboy, and those straw looking, wide brimmed sun hats.  Fedoras and sun hats are my faves. 

In jr. high, I had a raspberry beret that perfectly matched a raspberry skirt I had.  And then stupid Prince came out with that "Raspberry Beret" song.  Screw him, I still wore my awesome color coordinated outfit and just put up with people occasionally singing the refrain to me, lol.

If I do say so myself, hats usually look really cute on me.  I have a round face.  I don't know if that is why.  Cowboy hats are the only ones that are more "meh" on me.  They look okay, but not as cute as the other styles.  I find them to be a little too big and bulky for my face.  But, back in the day, I'd sometimes hit up the country/western bars and cowboy hats and boots were musts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I said hats, I meant hats like British women wear on occasion, not baseball caps or cowboy hats or any other functional hat. 

I wear winter hats because I live in Alaska, haha, and the occasional baseball cap while working. 

@short+sassy a lady at my old church wore a piece of lace pinned to her hair. We definitely weren't a "hair covering" church, and she was the only one who did it. Other than that, I've never really seen hats be a thing at church. I've been reading more about hats and apparently it can be a church thing on Easter, I guess.  I've just never seen it personally. 
  • I was underwhelmed by her wedding dress.  Maybe the $200K price tag swayed me that way?  LOL.

I really like the reception dress though.  Like I said on CC, it seemed to be more "her".

I also wasn't a huge fan of her makeup. That said, I'm thinking the first pictures I saw just had some bad lighting.   (I did not get up to see the wedding live).     I've seen other pictures since it looked better.

Overall I've always liked Meghan's style.  I like her hair and the tiara...?  I think that is my favorite one yet. I liked it better than the ones Kate and Diana wore.

HATS - I wear hats as often as possible.  I do not have British style hats (no place to wear them), but you can find me in one of my many fedoras or cowboy hat pretty often

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I was underwhelmed by her wedding dress.  Maybe the $200K price tag swayed me that way?  LOL.

I really like the reception dress though.  Like I said on CC, it seemed to be more "her".

I also wasn't a huge fan of her makeup. That said, I'm thinking the first pictures I saw just had some bad lighting.   (I did not get up to see the wedding live).     I've seen other pictures since it looked better.

Overall I've always liked Meghan's style.  I like her hair and the tiara...?  I think that is my favorite one yet. I liked it better than the ones Kate and Diana wore.

HATS - I wear hats as often as possible.  I do not have British style hats (no place to wear them), but you can find me in one of my many fedoras or cowboy hat pretty often

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I used to wear hats a lot and still have quite a few.  I do actually have 2 hats with veils (one I used to wear on the semi regular, one I don't, because it was my grandma's wedding hat, so is to important to risk) lying around.

But, dress codes.
    I"m forever trying to explain to etiquette questioning people that dress codes that forbid hats are talking about mens caps--and that it pertains to the gender of the cap, not the person wearing it--so my men's caps (of which I have many) are forbidden (because they're to be worn coming or going, not all day.  although, realistically, if I"m not someplace where I have to honor a dress code, I wear them all day), but my hats are part of an outfit, so aren't forbidden.
    But it's an esoteric argument I promise I only get into w/ people who ask.
    And people on the soon-to-be-defunct-ehell.

• A pic of my Ma's dress from 1960's (She designed and sewed it herself combining a few patterns)...

In regard to some of the dress character issues people are pointing out - one needs to remember the dress was a very heavy type of satin and easily prone to wrinkles from simply sitting.  Also, with that style, unless it is perfectly tailored it will be temperamental for pictures especially up above the bust area.  It was slightly loose which Satin being incredibly unforgiving thus was a smart move on her part to not have it any tighter.  One thing my Ma pointed out is that the Dutches' dress behaved the same way hers did in the skirt only with the video was much more pronounced because of the amount of movement.  Also, the crinoline didn't provide enough support/sturdiness to maintain the "fluff" to the skirt so fell flatter than it should have by mid-way down the aisle.  There's an old saying "Satin hides NOTHING!"..  

I thought the Queen and MOB looked amazing!  I also loved Harry & William's uniforms and the detail in those which isn't getting nearly the attention those tailors deserve!

If there was a dress I wasn't a fan of, it was the last second tailoring job from "Oprah's designer"...  Oprah is a seasoned professional, to know that white "lights you up" for her choice of a beige dress originally then the night before decide for the brain to engage that it's too white to wear in sun...  Unless Oprah changed sizes, that dress was an example of "little too tight!" on the tailoring along with needing better support structure on top.