Wedding Woes

Look for a new job.

Dear Prudence,

I’ve been at my job with a small, successful, family-owned business for more than five years. When I was originally hired as a temp, I was overqualified but in need of a steady job. The owner’s son recommended me, and I was hired immediately and quickly promoted to full time. Over the years, I have been eager to take on more responsibilities and continue my education. I have taken several industry-related online classes and gotten certificates. I have always paid for these myself. I am currently studying for some challenging industry exams that will hopefully improve my expertise. I mentioned this to my boss, just as I have in the past, only to be dismissed and ignored. He has referred to me as “kid” for years, even after I asked (and eventually told) him not to. I’m in my mid-30s.

A year ago, when a manager position opened, I submitted my résumé and asked if we could set up a meeting to discuss the opportunity. He blew me off, lost my résumé, ignored my next request to discuss the position, and hired a less qualified candidate, who then left the job only three months later. The position remains unfilled. I love what I do and have worked very hard in my career to gain experience and sharpen my skills. I feel undervalued and often disrespected. After the initial exams, I will need my boss to register me to continue to take further exams. I feel like my boss doesn’t take me seriously because we were introduced through his son, who is a few years younger than me. How can I get my boss to understand that I am a valuable asset to him and his company?

—Uninterested Boss

Re: Look for a new job.

• Set up a meeting, explain all of the quantitative ways you have improved his bottom line and make a case for the promotion.  If you don't get it, find a new job.
    This.   
  • Set up a meeting, explain all of the quantitative ways you have improved his bottom line and make a case for the promotion.  If you don't get it, find a new job.
    I think they should do that, but also start looking.  Because even if this person gets the promotion (that they have to essentially beg for), I have no faith that the boss will be confident in their skills and I can see the boss still undercutting LW.  I mean he calls them 'kid' and they're in their mid-30's.  GROSS! 
  • mrsconn23 said:

How can I get my boss to understand that I am a valuable asset to him and his company?

—Uninterested Boss

Leave.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Look for a new job, get an outside offer, and then either negotiate or take the job where people actually value your skills. 
    This, then

Set up a meeting, explain all of the quantitative ways you have improved his bottom line and make a case for the promotion.
    this.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• mrsconn23 said:

How can I get my boss to understand that I am a valuable asset to him and his company?

—Uninterested Boss

Leave.
    This. I wouldn't even bother setting up a meeting to explain why I felt I was qualified. He's already rejected her for the position once. He won't see that she's a valuable and worthy employee. I worked like an asshole like this for 10+ years. 

That was what it sounded like to me also.  That the LW has already had many conversations with the boss and has been blown off.  The guy lost the LW's resume?!?!  A resume is still a good idea, even for an internal position.  But still.  One wouldn't think the boss would have especially needed it.  And then didn't even bother interviewing them for the higher-up position.

Of course, we are just getting one side of all of this ;).  Perhaps the LW isn't as perfect a fit for this position as he/she thinks they are.  But still, they're an employee in a small business.  The boss should have at least had a discussion with them to say, "I don't think you're a good fit for this position right now because of X,Y,Z.  These are the steps I'd like you to take/work on."

It's a tough road to be undervalued and disrespected at work.  I've been there.  It starts to eat away at you.  LW needs to take the experience they've gained and move on to greener pastures.

Wedding Countdown Ticker