DIY Wedding Forum

Ikea table hacks

ashmcqashmcq member
First Anniversary
edited May 2018 in DIY Wedding Forum
Hi everyone. Farm tables are really expensive to rent. Has anyone used or explored the ideas of using ikea tables (such as the Ingo table) instead?  Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Ikea table hacks

• Hi everyone. Farm tables are really expensive to rent. Has anyone used or explored the ideas of using ikea tables (such as the Ingo table) instead?  Any advice is appreciated.
    I just used venue tables, but things you might want to think about...

How many guests will you have, and how many people does each Ikea table sit? What will you do with the tables after the wedding? 

I think a lot of times it seems like buying will be a better value, but think about how many you would have to buy and whether you have room, or a need, for them after the wedding. You can try to sell them after the wedding, but don't expect to get full asking price. 
  • Where is your wedding? If you're trying to DIY a venue in a park or backyard or something, I can see why you're thinking about buying tables. If you're using a venue like a hotel, restaurant, or another place that already has tables, you may find it's realllllly not worth the hassle. Your venue may not help you set up the other tables, plus how would you get them there & back? Where would you store them between when you buy them and the wedding date? And what would you do with a bunch of the same table afterwards? 

I understand why people purchase some items instead of renting them, but this seems like it would be way more headache than it's worth. Also, FWIW, most people don't notice the tables. My own wedding was a little over a year ago and I can't even remember the table cloth color. Just something to think about if you would rather prioritize other areas of your budget :) 
  • IMO - just do this for your head table and regular tables/chairs your venue provides or rent for the remainder of the seating.  Renting may SEEM expensive but at the end of the day, if you do some shopping around you do have rental options that are more budget friendly (often a local rental company possibly in the next town or two over) and you don't have to figure out what to do with them afterwards.  What you'll take on the "hit" to resell them or store them will be more than what it would have cost you to do the rental in the first place.  

It's one thing to purchase linens that there is potential to reuse long after the wedding depending on the size of your event, it's another for tables/chairs where unless your event is smaller (50 or less) the question becomes where are you going to store them after the event.  Secondary to that would it simply be cheaper to rent a venue that is on a (former) farm that has these types of tables already available that already fits the vision.