Not Engaged Yet

Type of rings that play well with gloves- for anyone bored today

My best friend has recently told me the guy she is dating is "the one" and we got on the topic of rings. She has no clue what will work with her new job/career as it involves wearing gloves a large amount of time (and changing them regularly). I'm going to go look at rings with her, but short of bringing a bunch of gloves to put on/off when trying them on (which I'm sure jewelers will love /s), I'd like some style ideas on what might work well. She has mentioned liking my channel set wedding band, but any style ideas for a set/engagement ring? 

The only thing she mentioned liking is rose gold and that is it, does not want to wear a qalo ring.
She does not interact with patients so she would not be restricted in wearing rings because of that.

Any ideas?

Re: Type of rings that play well with gloves- for anyone bored today

• Well, my engagement ring is actually channel set. I told H that I wanted something flat. I've worn rings similar to traditional engagement rings where the setting sticks up. It's been annoying and especially in gloves (and with latex-type gloves, there's a rip risk). 

My e-ring looks like a channel-set wedding band, similar to this. https://www.bluenile.com/channel-set-diamond-ring-14k-white-gold_42407?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Mf4soWp2wIVi8BkCh1OrQxcEAQYBCABEgKF_PD_BwE&click_id=958097799

I like it, and I especially like that it's non-traditional. 

I recommend just looking at rings with flatter settings. 
  • A bezel setting is great for gloves, since it can't rip them as easily. They also tend to be set lower than most prong settings. If she doesn't like the look of a bezel, I find double prongs are usually less prone to picking, so they might not rip gloves as often. With a prong head, a cathedral shank will help blunt the potential for ripping (this means the shank has sides that come up almost level to the top of the stone and slant down).

No halo will help too, so it's good that she doesn't want one. Any side stones down the shank shouldn't interfere with gloves too badly but for an extra smooth profile either no side stones or channel set ones.

For comparison, most typical solitaires are set at about 7.5mm (measured from the finger to the table or top facet of the stone. Mine is lower than average at a little over 6mm and probably about the lowest a solitaire can be set unless the stone is just tiny is about 5mm off the finger, so that's the range she probably wants to look at.

Since she wants rose gold as well, going the custom route would probably make things easier. Let me know if you want more suggestions.
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Well, my engagement ring is actually channel set. I told H that I wanted something flat. I've worn rings similar to traditional engagement rings where the setting sticks up. It's been annoying and especially in gloves (and with latex-type gloves, there's a rip risk). 

My e-ring looks like a channel-set wedding band, similar to this. https://www.bluenile.com/channel-set-diamond-ring-14k-white-gold_42407?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Mf4soWp2wIVi8BkCh1OrQxcEAQYBCABEgKF_PD_BwE&click_id=958097799

I like it, and I especially like that it's non-traditional. 

I recommend just looking at rings with flatter settings. 
    I'm going to suggest this to her, I'm glad she isn't married to a certain style as that will help us with finding something that is practical! Thank you!
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    A bezel setting is great for gloves, since it can't rip them as easily. They also tend to be set lower than most prong settings. If she doesn't like the look of a bezel, I find double prongs are usually less prone to picking, so they might not rip gloves as often. With a prong head, a cathedral shank will help blunt the potential for ripping (this means the shank has sides that come up almost level to the top of the stone and slant down).

No halo will help too, so it's good that she doesn't want one. Any side stones down the shank shouldn't interfere with gloves too badly but for an extra smooth profile either no side stones or channel set ones.

For comparison, most typical solitaires are set at about 7.5mm (measured from the finger to the table or top facet of the stone. Mine is lower than average at a little over 6mm and probably about the lowest a solitaire can be set unless the stone is just tiny is about 5mm off the finger, so that's the range she probably wants to look at.

Since she wants rose gold as well, going the custom route would probably make things easier. Let me know if you want more suggestions.
    Thank you for those tips on the solitaire height! That was information I wasn't aware of at all.  I'll also suggest she look at bezel and double prong sets. 
  • The best thing for her to do is to purchase the main set that she loves... AND a secondary plain band that she only wears to work (think traditionally a "Men's band").  Careers in the medical field and food service are well known for requiring plain bands only because of a number of reasons, but that shouldn't stop her from having the e-ring and wedding band she loves.  This way she has the engagement ring and wedding band she loves to wear - just not to work...  It's also a nice thing to have when you're going someplace that you really don't want to wear a "flashy" band (i.e. some vacation spots), and if her finger/hand ever changes size (something no one mentions about having kids), it's easy to get resized without losing any of the structural integrity of the ring..  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    The best thing for her to do is to purchase the main set that she loves... AND a secondary plain band that she only wears to work (think traditionally a "Men's band").  Careers in the medical field and food service are well known for requiring plain bands only because of a number of reasons, but that shouldn't stop her from having the e-ring and wedding band she loves.  This way she has the engagement ring and wedding band she loves to wear - just not to work...  It's also a nice thing to have when you're going someplace that you really don't want to wear a "flashy" band (i.e. some vacation spots), and if her finger/hand ever changes size (something no one mentions about having kids), it's easy to get resized without losing any of the structural integrity of the ring..  
    This is a fabulous idea. My e-ring would never work with gloves but I got a completely plain wedding band. Didn't solder them either. I do indeed leave the e-ring at home when I don't want to be wearing something flashy. The band by itself would work under gloves for sure. 

• MesmrEwe said:
    The best thing for her to do is to purchase the main set that she loves... AND a secondary plain band that she only wears to work (think traditionally a "Men's band").  Careers in the medical field and food service are well known for requiring plain bands only because of a number of reasons, but that shouldn't stop her from having the e-ring and wedding band she loves.  This way she has the engagement ring and wedding band she loves to wear - just not to work...  It's also a nice thing to have when you're going someplace that you really don't want to wear a "flashy" band (i.e. some vacation spots), and if her finger/hand ever changes size (something no one mentions about having kids), it's easy to get resized without losing any of the structural integrity of the ring..  
    I actually wish I would have done this, and I don't work in the medical field. There are times I wish I could just wear a plain band, but my wedding rings are curved to fit around my e-ring (not a set, but they "fit" together), so I can't really wear them apart. There are just times I'd prefer not to wear my e-ring and I don't really have an easy option. 
  • I wanted to add that she doesn't necessarily even need to get a set. My engagement ring is a 3-stone ring and we bought my wedding band totally separately. They don't match, they don't even really coordinate. I wear my engagement ring on my right hand. My wedding ring is similar to this and is smooth on top and never catches on anything.

http://www.jared.com/en/jaredstore/r6-rings-101524--1/leo-diamond-band-1-1-4-ct-tw-round-cut-14k-white-gold

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • thank you all for your continued suggestions! I met up with her on Friday and we got to talking about rings more since she truly hadn't even thought about it. First thing she tells me is she loves a pear shape, then she loves art deco. 

Related image

I reminded her that she wears gloves all day/every day at work and she is selecting things that will not play well. We plan to go sometime in the next few weeks to try some on so she can see for herself what's out there. I had suggested she go without the engagement ring and just wear the plain band at work but she wanted to be able to wear both, can't blame her. I'll make sure she at least doesn't solder them, I didn't get mine done and I've never regretted it. Bare minimum I can pass on all of your sage advice and hope she takes it!
  • Rose gold rings can look stunning and are versatile too. For her job, she might wanna check out sleek and low-profile designs, like bezel or flush settings, so they don't snag on gloves

• edited July 2023
    I agree with commenters