Wedding Woes

Wednesday

OMG, the soreness in my throat is finally gone.  Thank goodness.  

DH is leaving tomorrow for his delayed camping trip.  I cannot wait for him to GO because he's driving me batty with talking out loud about all the things he needs to get done.  Dear DH, Shaddup...because I don't care.  

My mom went to visit work peeps yesterday. My sister and BIL took her in.  :D  She has her first oncology appt tomorrow.  She says every day is better.   So yay.  :) 

Working on father's day gifts for DH and my dad. 

Trying to not think about vacation...we still don't have a place to stay, but I know this is normal.  I used to do employee vacations, so I know how it works.  But I also know how it works.  HA.  I'm sitting on my hands re: reaching out to them.  It's hard though, because I have my family and BIL/SIL and my nieces depending on me.  

Re: Wednesday

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @mrsconn23 do you get a free or discounted place to stay through work? Is it just last minute that you will find out? 
  • I just wrote my wedding recap. I can't believe I've been married for almost 3 weeks! I feel like I've been so off the grid as I have been trying to catch up from being stuck in a wedding bubble!

I'm headed to LA this weekend, I need some serious sunshine. the weather has been so blah here.  
  • @mrsconn23, glad to hear you are feeling better!  That's also great news that your mom is feeling better every day.  I'm sure the people at her work were really happy to see her doing well and I bet it perked her spirits to get out and about and see them also.  Good luck on the vacation planning.  I'm sure it will be fine, since you know this is normal, but I know what you mean.  It's always a feeling of relief to have everything squared away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    @mrsconn23 do you get a free or discounted place to stay through work? Is it just last minute that you will find out? 
    Free and yes, last minute usually for high season travel.  We're trying to get into Hilton Head. 

When we went to VA last fall, we were booked way far in advance...but we were traveling in really low season (mid-Oct).  Half the place was empty.  I can also book rental units for a discount, but free weeks have the best pull.  
  • @mrsconn23, glad to hear you are feeling better!  That's also great news that your mom is feeling better every day.  I'm sure the people at her work were really happy to see her doing well and I bet it perked her spirits to get out and about and see them also.  Good luck on the vacation planning.  I'm sure it will be fine, since you know this is normal, but I know what you mean.  It's always a feeling of relief to have everything squared away.
    Yes, it goes against my planner nature.  I want to try and line up bike rentals, day trips, and reservations.  Also meal planning with SIL.  Can't do any of it until I know where we're staying. Some places come with a couple bikes and some don't.  I can also feel the impatience in DH, but he IS being good at not asking too much.  

I know how to system stalk, so I'm giving him updates as I see stuff moving around.  ;) 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    Are you guaranteed a spot to stay you just don't know which unit? That would be tough for my planning nature too!
  • kvruns said:
    Are you guaranteed a spot to stay you just don't know which unit? That would be tough for my planning nature too!
    Nope, no guarantee at all.  :/ But I've looked and there's stuff floating around out there.  So, I have hope.  If we were traveling later in summer, I'd have more reason to worry and/or start thinking about alternates. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:
    Free and yes, last minute usually for high season travel.  We're trying to get into Hilton Head. 

When we went to VA last fall, we were booked way far in advance...but we were traveling in really low season (mid-Oct).  Half the place was empty.  I can also book rental units for a discount, but free weeks have the best pull.  
    I went to Hilton Head once for a wedding and it was so much fun! We are trying to make it to Nantucket this year to check out some beaches...I'm not sure if we will find the time. 
  • I just wrote my wedding recap. I can't believe I've been married for almost 3 weeks! I feel like I've been so off the grid as I have been trying to catch up from being stuck in a wedding bubble!

I'm headed to LA this weekend, I need some serious sunshine. the weather has been so blah here.  
    Remind me again, what part of the country are you in? 

The wedding bubble is real! I remember not feeling like I knew what day it was for weeks after the wedding. Did you guys take a honeymoon? 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @charlotte989875 is it dressy corporate? It really just depends on the style of the place. I remember a conversation on here about what was acceptable/not acceptable for clothing and it was all over the place (I think it was like maxi skirts/dresses maybe?) 
  • kvruns said:
    @charlotte989875 is it dressy corporate? It really just depends on the style of the place. I remember a conversation on here about what was acceptable/not acceptable for clothing and it was all over the place (I think it was like maxi skirts/dresses maybe?) 
    Yeah it's pretty dressy corporate; it's a large bank and even though I won't be in banking, I'll be on a quantitative research team all the men who interviewed me had suits on. There weren't many women there. 
  • Officially put in resignations for both jobs! I think I was feeling a lot more anxiety about it than I was being truthful about. I know it's "just a job" but resigning from both was unexpected for both employers and I was feeling bad, even though it's absolutely the right thing to do. 

Now on to trying to figure out what to wear to work every day. I definitely don't have corporate style clothing (academia and nonprofit are rather casual). Any advice? 

If it's a "suits required" kind of place, I recommend the Burlington Coat Factory, if you have one near you.  They have a wide selection of suits and that type of dresses for very reasonable prices.  Price range $30-$80, with the average around $50/outfit.

If it's a little more casual than that, I'd go with a wardrobe of a few skirts and dress pants...blacks, grays, browns are the most versatile...that can be paired with nice sweaters and blouses.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Remind me again, what part of the country are you in? 

The wedding bubble is real! I remember not feeling like I knew what day it was for weeks after the wedding. Did you guys take a honeymoon? 
    I live in South Jersey! About 20 minutes from Philly. 

We are taking a delayed honeymoon in November. DH starts with a new practice and he can't take vacation time for 3 months.

TBH - I can't imagine honeymooning right after the wedding, I don't think I would be able to enjoy myself. I would be too worried about tying up loose ends. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    kvruns said:
    Yeah it's pretty dressy corporate; it's a large bank and even though I won't be in banking, I'll be on a quantitative research team all the men who interviewed me had suits on. There weren't many women there. 
    I wish you lived close by, I have tons of dress pants, work shirts, suits, etc from my old job when I had to dress nicely but now I can wear jeans so they just sit in the closet aside from what I sold at the garage sale or gave to friends.
  • kvruns said:
    That’s roughly my dress code. I wear a lot of nice work dresses with sleeves, suits, separates etc. Nordstrom, Ann Taylor, White House Black Market work for me. 
  • kvruns said:
    You can probably get by with some structured pieces and then supplement with less expensive ones.

-Check out J.Crew and J.Crew Factory.   The Factory has a lot of sales going and I like their sheaths, pencil skirts and suit pants.   
    -Loft isn't so great for suits that I remember BUT they have a lot of affordable cute blouses that you pair with a standard suit.
    -Banana Republic and Banana Republic Factory - again, variation on the above with the pants, jackets, etc. 
    -Talbots - again with sales.

Also, shop places like Nordstrom where they have annual sales and mark their stuff down.  Even JC Penney has a good selection.

I've found that with suit jackets and really dressy pants it pays to find the quality ones made well that are lined.   For a cute blouse that you may not wear as long as the suit, it's not a big deal for cheaper. 
  • kvruns said:
    That’s roughly my dress code. I wear a lot of nice work dresses with sleeves, suits, separates etc. Nordstrom, Ann Taylor, White House Black Market work for me. 
    I never shopped at Nordstrom until last week. I needed new bras and I heard their lingerie department is great. I used to shop a VS, but as it turns out if they don't carry your size, they tend to suggest a larger band to make up for the cup size. I was wearing a band that was 4 sizes too large and a cup size 3 sizes too small. I was a hot mess. 

The customer service at Nordstrom was unbelievable and the prices were reasonable. I don't know why I thought they were so out of my price range. I'll definitely be going back. 
  • @charlotte989875, depending where you live Ross could have some inexpensive dressy options.  I like their clothing but some areas just have bad Ross'.  
    @mrsconn23, yes I couldn't do it! I am SUCH a planner.  In fact, I hate that I plan so far ahead sometimes because I can't lock anything down.  But at least once you find out, you can start booking
    @NBSquared2017 yes, I remember the wedding bubble.  We got married Nov 1st and waited for January to do a Caribbean cruise.  Mostly because of work scheudle stuff.  H has to put in for vacation at the end of every year for the upcoming year, so we wanted to roll over into a new year and new vacation time. Plus, I hate taking more than a week at a time myself.  Have fun at yours! Where are you going?

I went and got my no chip yesterday and found out the "hand cream" she uses.  And then ordered it online :)  It's not specifically for hands, but a body lotion.  This stuff is awesome.  It smells AMAZING and keeps my hands so soft:
    https://www.farmhousefreshgoods.com/sweet-tea-shea-butter-cream.html

• @charlotte989875, depending where you live Ross could have some inexpensive dressy options.  I like their clothing but some areas just have bad Ross'.  
    @mrsconn23, yes I couldn't do it! I am SUCH a planner.  In fact, I hate that I plan so far ahead sometimes because I can't lock anything down.  But at least once you find out, you can start booking
    @NBSquared2017 yes, I remember the wedding bubble.  We got married Nov 1st and waited for January to do a Caribbean cruise.  Mostly because of work scheudle stuff.  H has to put in for vacation at the end of every year for the upcoming year, so we wanted to roll over into a new year and new vacation time. Plus, I hate taking more than a week at a time myself.  Have fun at yours! Where are you going?

I went and got my no chip yesterday and found out the "hand cream" she uses.  And then ordered it online :)  It's not specifically for hands, but a body lotion.  This stuff is awesome.  It smells AMAZING and keeps my hands so soft:
    @CharmedPam - we are going to take a 7-day cruise to Bermuda! I'm an avid cruiser, but this will be his first. We are also taking a couple of extra days in NYC because I've never seen the city decorated for the holidays! 

@CharmedPam - we are going to take a 7-day cruise to Bermuda! I'm an avid cruiser, but this will be his first. We are also taking a couple of extra days in NYC because I've never seen the city decorated for the holidays! 
    fun! fun! NYC around the holiday's is a blast.  And non holiday's. Basically, it's a blast all year long :)  I was looking at a Bermuda cruise too! leaving out of Jersey right? I want to do that with my SIL and her bf because it wouldn't require her to take a flight....but we ended up taking a cruise leaving Miami instead. 

fun! fun! NYC around the holiday's is a blast.  And non holiday's. Basically, it's a blast all year long :)  I was looking at a Bermuda cruise too! leaving out of Jersey right? I want to do that with my SIL and her bf because it wouldn't require her to take a flight....but we ended up taking a cruise leaving Miami instead. 
    @charmedpam - yes! Leaving out of Cape Liberty. It's only about an hour and a half from where we live. I have never stayed in a port for more than 24 hours so I am excited! I think we will have ample time to explore and eat local. 
  • Another positive vote for Nordstrom.  You can contact their personal stylists (via email/online or phone) and request an appointment.  They will pull together looks in your price range.  For free!  Highly recommend.
  • All right!  Everything is squared away with my car.  I'm going to take a long lunch and pick it up then.

It was just a bad battery.  Which cost me one hour of labor :(, though the new battery is free because it was still under warranty.  Pfft!  That battery company should pay for my one hour of labor also.  Jerks.  I also got something fixed that came up on the diagnostic.  All in, $880.  Though $770 of that was the repair I added from the diagnostic.  Which I've known about for a long time because I have my own $25 DIY diagnostic tool.  So I at least know they were being straight with me on that.

They said I'm all set and neither need anything else nor do I have any maintenance coming up.

Just to add to the money hemorraging (sp?), I broke down and signed up for an extended warranty, like @levioosa suggested.  Serious, serious ouch.  It is $4293 for 5 years and up to 125K miles.  I haggled with them HARD and that is $1K less than what they originally quoted me.  Still, it is so much more enormous than any other after market warranty I have ever gotten.  BUT, for other cars, they were domestic and I got the warranty when the cars were on the newer side.

I would get a pro-rated amount back if the vehicle is totaled or if I sell it, before the 5 years or 125K miles is up.  Unless something changes, I'll hit the 5 years long before I'd hit the miles.  So it's good piece of mind for me.  It's been a really reliable car, but she is getting up there in age (8 years) and I've started stressing about what might go wrong.  Especially because she is such a "special little snowflake" import, so I'm very limited as to the repair shops I can bring her to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m glad you feel better @mrsconn23! I am the same way with planning. The other day I sat down and made a packing list and a meal plan for Yosemite in August. FSIL was like “oh, we’re doing this already?” Yes, yes we are. 

@charlotte989875 I second Nordstrom (and Nordstrom Rack!—I get nice dress shirts for <$30 all the time there!) and White House Black Market. Seriously invest in some of the dress pants from WHBM. They’re so soft and they don’t feel like dress pants at all. Usually I’m dying to rip off dress pants after a few hours but I’ve been wearing them for my 12 hour shifts at the clinic with no problems. Express also has good dress clothes. 

@short+sassy I’m so glad it wasn’t something more serious! The extended warranty will save you though, especially if you have an S. The S’s start to crap out right around 70K miles. Mine hit 70k and almost immediately needed a new turbo and engine. And I babied the crap out of it and did all of the proper care. Ugh. My problem child. Lol.

I slept terribly last night and I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst cramps. So then I had to raid the fridge to eat something small and take Motrin. Clinic went pretty well yesterday. I’m debating whether or not to go back tomorrow or wait until Monday. Otherwise SSDD with school today. 

• @levioosa, thanks!  I actually don't have the "S", I have the basic model.  But it is currently at 68K miles though so, perhaps, just in time.  There is a one month and 1,000 mile waiting period.  So, (crossing fingers), I should be okay since my mechanic didn't see any issues.  It's actually the 1,000 miles that worry me.  I only drive about 75-85 miles/week.  THAT's going to take about 3 months.  Please no whammies.  No Murphy's law, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yay for feeling better conn. Dh and I need to nail down or vacation plans. Currently the place we are staying doesn’t have a washer and the only furniture is beds. Since it’s free And right on the beach I will not complain.

Nothing else really here. My boss is freaking out about something and I wish we could all just sit down and talk, but people are in 4 locations and even a Skype meeting is hard to plan. 

• @NBSquared2017 any recommendations for Caribbean cruises that are fun and young-ish without being either too kid crazy or booze-cruisey? 

• Thanks everyone, this is a huge help! We have a WHBM and a Nordstom Rack really close to my house. Then there is a huge outlet mall about 30 minutes away and there's JCrew, Sacs, and BR. 

I love the suggestion of investing in some good suits/jackets/pants but maybe not breaking the bank on blouses/tops. I really don't have much anymore, the suit I wore on my interview was like 4.5 years old. 

And @kvruns if you're interested in sending all of that to Buffalo I'd be happy to give it a home!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @charlotte989875 I have 8, 10, 12 and M/L so if any of those sizes work let me know and I'll see what I have.