Wedding Woes

Wednesday

13»

Re: Wednesday

• @NBSquared2017 We just stayed at the most adorable guest house through VRBO in Burlington VT. It looks like they do have some availability in September and October, though not sure when you were looking to go. 
    @cupcait927 - we looked to go the first week in October! Would you mind letting me know the name of the guest house??
    Of course! Here's the link. It looks like it's booked the first week of October though :( I'd still keep it in mind for future years if this fall doesn't work. The hosts were absolutely wonderful and the space itself was beautiful. We already want to go back. https://www.vrbo.com/309996
    @cupcait927 Thank you! After doing some research, it looks like that time of year is the peak for fall foliage in that area. I'll be sure to bookmark this!
  •  @charmedpam - DH and I have a scratch-off map too! It's only the US, but we have gotten several states scratched off. We want to go to an away game at every NFL stadium (I'm a Browns fan (unfortunately) and he's a Lions fan). For the states that have no team, we decided we are going to do a food tour. Eat our way around the US!

@short+sassy - we live in South Jersey/Philly, so we have gotten a ton of the east coast done. I really want to try and get to Nantucket this year, but I don't think it's going to happen. We tried to book a B & B in Vermont to see the fall foliage, but the ones I have looked at are booked solid. 

You are my kindred spirit, lol.

((Unabashed plug for my city))  A U.S. food tour would not be complete without a visit to New Orleans!  And we have the Saints, so win-win.

@short+sassy - we went to NOLA 2 years ago and had a great time! Acme Oyster House and Oceana Grill were two favorites. We did eat a Cafe Du Monde and I was sort of underwhelmed :-( I'm not sure what experience I was expecting, but I think it was just too crowded and busy. We could not enjoy ourselves.  

Oh good!  I'm glad you've had the experience and enjoyed it.  I've been to the Acme Oyster House a number of times, but have not been to Oceana Grill.  Though I've heard good things.

Café du Monde is one of those quintessential NOLA things that I think all tourists need to experience.  But I personally never go there, unless people are visiting because I'm not a fan either.  They only serve chicory coffee (for coffee), which I don't like.  And I also don't have much of a sweet tooth so, to me, beignets are just meh.

It's actually an amazing location if you hit it early in the morning on a weekday.  The sun just came up.  Not crowded, not many people on the street.  Cool river breezes coming off the Mississippi.  A view of Jackson Square and the St. Louis Cathedral.  It's a relaxing, zen place when it isn't thronged with people.  It's just usually thronged with people, lol.

@short+sassy our flight landed around 11:30 AM and we were surprised how quiet it was. We took and nap after lunch and woke up around 4:00 and it was like a totally different place. I had a blast! We stayed on Bourbon, but I don't think we will do that again. It was fun, but man do people go hard! We could not keep up. I really liked the Cat's Meow - I think I have a video somewhere of me singing "hit me, baby, one more time" - of course, that was after the B1G2 free specials  :D
  •  @short+sassy - we went to NOLA 2 years ago and had a great time! Acme Oyster House and Oceana Grill were two favorites. We did eat a Cafe Du Monde and I was sort of underwhelmed :-( I'm not sure what experience I was expecting, but I think it was just too crowded and busy. We could not enjoy ourselves.  

Oh good!  I'm glad you've had the experience and enjoyed it.  I've been to the Acme Oyster House a number of times, but have not been to Oceana Grill.  Though I've heard good things.

Café du Monde is one of those quintessential NOLA things that I think all tourists need to experience.  But I personally never go there, unless people are visiting because I'm not a fan either.  They only serve chicory coffee (for coffee), which I don't like.  And I also don't have much of a sweet tooth so, to me, beignets are just meh.

It's actually an amazing location if you hit it early in the morning on a weekday.  The sun just came up.  Not crowded, not many people on the street.  Cool river breezes coming off the Mississippi.  A view of Jackson Square and the St. Louis Cathedral.  It's a relaxing, zen place when it isn't thronged with people.  It's just usually thronged with people, lol.

@short+sassy our flight landed around 11:30 AM and we were surprised how quiet it was. We took and nap after lunch and woke up around 4:00 and it was like a totally different place. I had a blast! We stayed on Bourbon, but I don't think we will do that again. It was fun, but man do people go hard! We could not keep up. I really liked the Cat's Meow - I think I have a video somewhere of me singing "hit me, baby, one more time" - of course, that was after the B1G2 free specials  :D

If you all ever come again, look at hotels in the Downtown area.  That area is directly next to the French Quarter (Canal St. is the dividing line), so still an easy walking distance, but a lot quieter.

Locals tip:  Bourbon St. turns into Carondelet St., once you pass Canal St.  So Carondelet St. goes through the Downtown area.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @NBSquared2017 We just stayed at the most adorable guest house through VRBO in Burlington VT. It looks like they do have some availability in September and October, though not sure when you were looking to go. 
    @cupcait927 - we looked to go the first week in October! Would you mind letting me know the name of the guest house??
    Of course! Here's the link. It looks like it's booked the first week of October though :( I'd still keep it in mind for future years if this fall doesn't work. The hosts were absolutely wonderful and the space itself was beautiful. We already want to go back. https://www.vrbo.com/309996
    How was your trip? And the race?
    The race was awesome! It's one H and I definitely want to do again. Flat, fast and great support, not to mention gorgeous views of the Maine coast along the route. We're going to try and talk his family (all runners) into going with us next year.

The trip itself was also wonderful. It was fast, and we definitely want to go back to each state and see more, but all in all it was a good time. We ate a lot, drank a lot, and took it all in. It wasn't the most relaxing trip, because we felt pressure to get in as much as we could, so I told H that the next trip is a beach vacation where I can lay out in the sun for a week and not move lol.
    Glad you guys had such a good time! 

That race sounds awesome, I might look into it for next year.
    @cupcait927 Thank you! After doing some research, it looks like that time of year is the peak for fall foliage in that area. I'll be sure to bookmark this!
    It's definitely peak foliage season, although going a little early or a little late doesn't change it all that much. I lived in NH and people would book rentals like a year in advance for leaf season.