Wedding Etiquette Forum

Hotel blocks?! Not sure for my situation!

So we are having our wedding at a vineyard about 45 minutes from our home. Most of my FH’s family is located in the same area. My family is a bit closer, about 30 minutes away. 90% of our guest list falls within this distance, we have maybe 10 people coming from out of state. Due to this low number, I don’t think it would even be worth it to block out any rooms. But at the same time, I don’t want to be rude and feel like I’m overlooking them. Additionally, the closest hotel is about 20 minutes away, and at that point wouldn’t it just be easier to drive home? Thoughts??

Re: Hotel blocks?! Not sure for my situation!

• I don’t think it’s necessary for you to do hotel blocks. The small number of people can just book hotels as needed. 
  • So we are having our wedding at a vineyard about 45 minutes from our home. Most of my FH’s family is located in the same area. My family is a bit closer, about 30 minutes away. 90% of our guest list falls within this distance, we have maybe 10 people coming from out of state. Due to this low number, I don’t think it would even be worth it to block out any rooms. But at the same time, I don’t want to be rude and feel like I’m overlooking them. Additionally, the closest hotel is about 20 minutes away, and at that point wouldn’t it just be easier to drive home? Thoughts??
    Are you getting married on a particularly busy weekend? Or does your area lack public transit/Uber/Lyft/cabs? I think those would be some of the only reasons you'd want a hotel block. If everyone is roughly nearby they probably know the area and can decide if they want to drive/cab home, stay in a hotel, or some other arrangement. 

• Definitely not necessary. The only exception would be if your wedding is over a holiday weekend or at a busy tourist time, you may want a block so that your guests don't end up without a hotel room. If it's just a regular weekend I wouldn't worry about it. 

If you're doing a wedding website, it would be nice to list the hotel names that are closest on your website for the guests but that's nothing that can't really be found with a quick google either.
  • MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    We didn't do hotel blocks - I think maybe 3 couples ended up getting a hotel.  Nobody seemed to mind.
  • Hotel blocks are never necessary, but are a courtesy, when possible.  I'd guess the people who live within an hour of the venue wouldn't stay overnight at a hotel, since it is 20 minutes away anyway.  But the OOT people might.

It wouldn't hurt to contact 1-2 hotels in the closest area to the venue and see about setting up a small block.  My OOT guest list was too small to try and get a block.  We didn't have a wedding website either.  We just verbally told the few people about nearby hotels that were in a couple different price ranges.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Definitely not necessary. The only exception would be if your wedding is over a holiday weekend or at a busy tourist time, you may want a block so that your guests don't end up without a hotel room. If it's just a regular weekend I wouldn't worry about it. 

If you're doing a wedding website, it would be nice to list the hotel names that are closest on your website for the guests but that's nothing that can't really be found with a quick google either.
    This is exactly what we did, just kind of as a courtesy. We didn't see the point of doing a hotel block, as most of our guests lived close enough that they were going to go home (especially since our wedding was on Sunday). Those that came from a lot further away stayed with family or found hotels on their own. 

OP, in your situation, I don't think a hotel block is at all necessary. Keep in mind that  some hotels (at least in my experience) make you responsible for paying for any unused rooms in the block. That's an expense that nobody wants or needs, and it's a huge part of why we didn't do one for our wedding.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My numbers were very similar to yours OP.  We did do a block because the venue our reception was at was on a property that included a boutique hotel, literally 50 feet away.  The block actually came with our reception so to speak.  We included the info on our website and shockingly almost 30 rooms (approx 100 of the 175 guests) booked.  I was pretty surprised.  
    My personal experience aside- given your guests’ time travel, i’d definitely say it’s not necessary.