Wedding Reception Forum

DIY Photo booth

We're doing a DIY photo booth and I'm looking for suggestions from couples who already went through this process. We would like to have photos printed on the spot so that guests can add them to our guestbook along with a note. With that in mind:

If you used an app, which app did you use?
What kind of camera set up did you use?
Which printer did you use?
Did you use an Instax/polaroid camera?
Also, where did you get your props?
What worked well and what didn't?
Any other ways to go about this that I'm missing? 

Re: DIY Photo booth

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    My son and his wife used a Polaroid.  They purchased a leather bound journal.  Guests took pictures, and wrote a wrote a message.  If I recall, my son and his wife may have adhered or glued photo corners onto the pages as well.  I believe regular ink pens were used in the journal, as a Sharpie style marker would have bled through the pages.

My daughter hired a photo booth.  We purchased props at The Dollar Store, other inexpensive shops like 5 and Below, and did some serious clearance shopping after Halloween.  We also bought some inexpensive dry erase boards for guests to write on to use in their pictures as well.  The book used was filled with glossy pages, so I believe a Sharpie type marking pen was used for writing messages.

What we liked about the photo booth versus the Polaroid option was that guests got their own identical picture to take with them as well.

• MobKaz said:
    My son and his wife used a Polaroid.  They purchased a leather bound journal.  Guests took pictures, and wrote a wrote a message.  If I recall, my son and his wife may have adhered or glued photo corners onto the pages as well.  I believe regular ink pens were used in the journal, as a Sharpie style marker would have bled through the pages.

My daughter hired a photo booth.  We purchased props at The Dollar Store, other inexpensive shops like 5 and Below, and did some serious clearance shopping after Halloween.  We also bought some inexpensive dry erase boards for guests to write on to use in their pictures as well.  The book used was filled with glossy pages, so I believe a Sharpie type marking pen was used for writing messages.

What we liked about the photo booth versus the Polaroid option was that guests got their own identical picture to take with them as well.

We didn't do a photo booth at our wedding, but I've seen both of the bolded at other weddings and prefer the actual photo booth as well. It seemed that the weddings with the DIY option didn't have as any pictures in their albums, as the guests wanted to keep the photos they took.

If you haven't priced everything out, it may be worth looking into. The film for the Instax/Polaroid cameras isn't cheap and you may need more than you think. If you're having a DJ, I think ours offered to add that on for just a couple hundred dollars, which seemed like about what we would have spend on camera/film/props/etc.
  • We used a Polaroid too)