Wedding Woes

Friday!!!

What's up for the weekend?

I'm strangely emotional today.  Like, crying at the drop of the hat emotional and I'm not even pmsing. 

Today we're meeting my parents at a conservatory to look at flowers and play in the new kid's section.  Then lunch at our favorite German restaurant.  I SHOULD stay home and clean, do laundry, and go to the grocery but that's no fun. 

Seriously though WE HAVE NO FOOD.  Sunday I bought 5 lbs of strawberries, 3 lbs of grapes, 2 cantaloupes, 6 lbs of apples, 2 huge bunches of bananas, 6 heads of broccoli (baby ones but still), 3 lbs of carrots, 2 cucumbers, a bag of onions, 3 peppers, 2 clamshell things of lettuce, and 5 lbs of potatoes.  I have potatoes left. I'm also running out of tp faster.  Summer is going to kill my grocery budget.

Chance of thunderstorms Saturday- we have 2 baseball games and we're all going to the Crew game.  I hope the weather doesn't suck.

Sunday is race day!  Hopefully the weather doesn't suck.  

Re: Friday!!!

• @6fsn have you ever tried looking up imperfect produce to see if they deliver to your area? It’s way cheaper than the grocery store. The produce just isn’t as “pretty.”

Work just called to cancel me!!! I’m so excited. I spent most of yesterday doing homework for work (recertifications that I foolishly did all in the same month originally) instead of my actual school homework so I have a lot to do today. Plus the house is a mess. I told them to go ahead and cancel me any day they wanted. I need days to study over money at this point if I want to pass this class. This also means I can put together a meal plan and go food shopping. Because we have been a lawless house lately living on chipotle and bananas. 

• I’m scared to edit my original post because TK has been deleting them and saying they need to be “approved” only to never be seen again. 

It looks like Imperfect Produce might just be a CA thing. =/ but maybe there’s something similar in your area?

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

@Levioosa I had looked into something similar once, but it wasn't available here.  I try not to complain about the cost of healthy stuff, but the sheer amount of food is blowing me away.  Plus they are still YOUNG.  What happens when I have teens?

• The knot just ate my post when I tried to edit it.  Blerg. 

Anyway, DH is gone for the weekend.  And IDK why, but this weekend trip is stressing me out more than it normally does.  Blerg. 

My kids are monsters and eat everything too, @6fsn;)  I feel ya on the "OMG, there's NO FOOD!" 

Tonight is probably going to be take out and movies with DefConn.  The kiddo works. 

Tomorrow, I'm not waking up with a damn alarm.  Not sure during the day, but tomorrow night we're having dinner with my parents and I'm going to a concert with family friends and my dad while DefConn and my mom hang out. The kiddo's going to FIL's because he wants to keep practicing riding a motorcycle. 

Sunday, DH comes home. I do need to get to the store at some point and fold laundry.  I'll tell myself that I'll do it tonight, but let's be honest...it will be last-minute on Sunday afternoon. ;) 

Mom had her 1st oncology appt yesterday.  She starts chemo later this month.  She should not lose her hair, but they can't really say on other side-effects.  The doc seemed positive that she should be able to do everything 'normally' (work, hobbies, etc.).  She has to have a port placed and is already planning for a 'port out' party. :)   None of this was unexpected information, but still...all the feelings about it all. 
  • I'm off to LA for pride weekend.

I downloaded a ton of documentaries to watch on the flight but started watching one yesterday. "Evil Mastermind" it's about the Pizzabomber/bank heist from a few years back. It's wild! 
  • Evil Mastermind was wild and the closing image is haunting, just FYI.  Good choice.

TGIMFF.  I've been so spent all week, I wonder if I'm coming down with something.
  • K has a booking that we're traveling to on Saturday.  It's their home bar and their drag moms are performing too, so it's a fun time every time we go.  Part of me is like, "This is the worst, dumb damn decision you've ever made" since Pride is the next weekend coming.  The other part is like, "GTFO of town for minute."  GTFO is winning.

I keep adding more days off next week b/c I'm slightly freaking out.  I just don't have the same team support I've had in years past for this festival.  It's more organized than ever and things are running smoothly, but...
  • So happy it's finally Friday! 

We're heading down to the cabin tonight; my Mom is so excited. We're staying until Sunday and hoping it's just a nice, relaxing weekend. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    K has a booking that we're traveling to on Saturday.  It's their home bar and their drag moms are performing too, so it's a fun time every time we go.  Part of me is like, "This is the worst, dumb damn decision you've ever made" since Pride is the next weekend coming.  The other part is like, "GTFO of town for minute."  GTFO is winning.

I keep adding more days off next week b/c I'm slightly freaking out.  I just don't have the same team support I've had in years past for this festival.  It's more organized than ever and things are running smoothly, but...
    How did everything work out with the sponsors/vendors who wanted the double-sized booth for the price of two (and not paying the bigger booth price)?
  • VarunaTT said:
    K has a booking that we're traveling to on Saturday.  It's their home bar and their drag moms are performing too, so it's a fun time every time we go.  Part of me is like, "This is the worst, dumb damn decision you've ever made" since Pride is the next weekend coming.  The other part is like, "GTFO of town for minute."  GTFO is winning.

How did everything work out with the sponsors/vendors who wanted the double-sized booth for the price of two (and not paying the bigger booth price)?
    They have one booth and seem to be happy enough.  Our booth space is so cheap ($150 for a 10x10 all day) and we're estimating 5K+ attendees, I can't imagine these businesses really being unhappy.
  • Also, I'm shocked about Anthony Bourdain. I guess you really have no idea what's happening in people's lives. 

***STIB***

I really connected with him. I was too. He was such a great storyteller and whenever I watched his show, it felt like I was traveling with him. He tried his hardest to show the beauty in all countries and helped educate people that's it's okay to try something different. 

It's so tragic. 
  • DH and I signed up for same day Target delivery and are planning on testing it out today.

I can barely contain my excitement!! 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @6fsn can your kids teach mine to eat healthy stuff like that. When I ask him to take a bit he just barely puts it in his mouth (still holding), takes it out, and smiles at me. Probably exactly like I was as a kid. sigh. 

My H leaves tomorrow for a week. My parents are coming up sometime Saturday so they can watch baby B Sunday while I run a race. We'll hang out Sunday and then my mom is staying Sunday too and she and I are doing a girls day Monday. It will be fine but part of me realizes that all of this cuts into my "me" time of getting stuff done at home, not worry about other people, etc and I'll really only get like 3 days of that instead of a week. But oh well, something is better than nothing. 
  • Also, I'm shocked about Anthony Bourdain. I guess you really have no idea what's happening in people's lives. 

***STIB***

I really connected with him. I was too. He was such a great storyteller and whenever I watched his show, it felt like I was traveling with him. He tried his hardest to show the beauty in all countries and helped educate people that's it's okay to try something different. 

It's so tragic. 
    I know. I loved Kitchen Confidential. I read the first it while I was bartending regularly and finishing my Master's Degree. It reminded me of all the guys who worked in the kitchen (I worked and a higher end restaurant, that also had a really great bar). It was one of those books that stuck with me. 
  • @CharmedPam, congrats on dropping a size!

I don't want to jinx myself but, despite my extra busy week, I might actually get out on time today.  Which is a rarity for my half-day Fridays.

I have an "out of nowhere" craving for this Hawaiian dish that my mom made a lot when I was growing up.  It's basically those glass noodles, with cut up chicken breast, in a savory Asian-style broth.  But it's just a little bit of broth, like a sauce.  Not like a soup.  So a grocery store/bank errand trip combo either today or tomorrow.  Picked up the rent last night from one of my tenants, so that is thankfully more fodder for my bank visit.

That's about it.  But I'm going to try and talk my H into going out to dinner sometime this weekend.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I don't want to jinx myself but, despite my extra busy week, I might actually get out on time today.  Which is a rarity for my half-day Fridays.

I have an "out of nowhere" craving for this Hawaiian dish that my mom made a lot when I was growing up.  It's basically those glass noodles, with cut up chicken breast, in a savory Asian-style broth.  But it's just a little bit of broth, like a sauce.  Not like a soup.  So a grocery store/bank errand trip combo either today or tomorrow.  Picked up the rent last night from one of my tenants, so that is thankfully more fodder for my bank visit.

That's about it.  But I'm going to try and talk my H into going out to dinner sometime this weekend.

That sounds amazing. I've been in the mood for butter chicken and garlic naan for weeks. I think I'll stop and get some today. 
  • I audibly gasped when I saw of Anthony Bourdain's passing this morning.   I won't pretend to know him intimately but loved inviting his candid frank viewpoints into my living room.  He was a joy to watch and will be missed. 

Rather than make some comment on how he affected me I just simply put a link to the suicide hotline as my FB status.  My feelings on him don't matter.   It's how those contemplating this feel and it's such a harsh sad way to go.

That sounds amazing. I've been in the mood for butter chicken and garlic naan for weeks. I think I'll stop and get some today. 

Chicken Lomi.  Some recipes use egg noodles, but my mom always used glass noodles.  It's also one of those dishes where you can just as easily throw in whatever type of meat/fish is handy/in the mood for.

Apparently this dish originally comes from the Phillipines.  But you see it a lot in Hawaii also (my mom grew up there).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Chicken Lomi.  Some recipes use egg noodles, but my mom always used glass noodles.  It's also one of those dishes where you can just as easily throw in whatever type of meat/fish is handy/in the mood for.

Apparently this dish originally comes from the Phillipines.  But you see it a lot in Hawaii also (my mom grew up there).

I'll check it out! We are always down for new foods. I've been cooking more and I think I'll try this out! 
  • For the old-timers, Princemas was this week.  Found this link in the recesses of my bookmarks.  <3

http://www.troygua.com/work/lppisart/
  • banana468 said:
    I audibly gasped when I saw of Anthony Bourdain's passing this morning.   I won't pretend to know him intimately but loved inviting his candid frank viewpoints into my living room.  He was a joy to watch and will be missed. 

Rather than make some comment on how he affected me I just simply put a link to the suicide hotline as my FB status.  My feelings on him don't matter.   It's how those contemplating this feel and it's such a harsh sad way to go.

I did, too. I just stood in the middle of the gym floor surprised. 

I read a great thread on Twitter this morning that echoed the reach out feeling, but also noted at length how hard it is for people who are considering suicide to reach out, and how it's imperative people in their lives reach out to them. 
  • Still busy catching up on work and I have one project that is a bear and I don't think I can keep avoiding it!

Have a great weekend WW!

I'll check it out! We are always down for new foods. I've been cooking more and I think I'll try this out! 

Another go-to, easy recipe I got from my mom is her "Filipino Chicken".  It wasn't until I was quite a bit into adulthood that I learned this dish is actually called Adobo, lol.  It is super flavorful.

Big pot.  Fill it up with almost half water and half apple cider vinegar.  A liberal amount of soy sauce (roughly 1/4 cup).  A couple tablespoons of chopped or minced garlic.  Get the liquid to boiling.  Throw in chicken thighs or drumsticks.  I personally take the skin off first to save on fat and calories, especially since there is so much flavor in the broth that I don't even miss the skin.  I also stab each piece a few times with a fork, so the liquid can penetrate.  Lower the heat to medium and cover.  Cook until the chicken isn't pink near the bone.  Usually 45-60 minutes.

My version comes out very vinegar-y and very soy saucy.  Adjust for your own taste.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    I audibly gasped when I saw of Anthony Bourdain's passing this morning.   I won't pretend to know him intimately but loved inviting his candid frank viewpoints into my living room.  He was a joy to watch and will be missed. 

I read a great thread on Twitter this morning that echoed the reach out feeling, but also noted at length how hard it is for people who are considering suicide to reach out, and how it's imperative people in their lives reach out to them. 
    So true. H's stepdaughter, if you remember, took her life in February. We found out she was out of a job and thus no insurance.  I know the bolded is referencing the act of reaching out and taking the first step, but there is also the "how" that's difficult for some people. 

I know there are free services for people in her position, but they lived in a very small town in the middle of nowhere and I'm sure her resources were limited. And far away (needing gas money to go anywhere).

• cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    banana468 said:

So true. H's stepdaughter, if you remember, took her life in February. We found out she was out of a job and thus no insurance.  I know the bolded is referencing the act of reaching out and taking the first step, but there is also the "how" that's difficult for some people. 

I know there are free services for people in her position, but they lived in a very small town in the middle of nowhere and I'm sure her resources were limited. And far away (needing gas money to go anywhere).
    This is so very, very true. H was diagnosed as bipolar type II last year (after living with symptoms for over 2 years) and was hospitalized for a week last April due to suicidal thoughts. We have a $12,000 deductible and he maxed out at the individual cap of $6550. His medication runs us $50-$100 a month, and therapy is $100+ a pop, for both a psychiatrist and a therapist each. I'm so thankful that we had the financial resources to get him care and can continue to afford his care, but so many people don't.

On top of the cost, there just aren't enough doctors and therapists to treat everyone who needs it. It took us a over a week to even get into see a psychiatrist last January for medication when everything came to ahead and he finally told me what was going on, and even longer to get him into a therapist for additional talk therapy (close to a month). And this was for someone that said outright "I'm suicidal and need help". It's an incredibly sad and desperate situation for so many people.
  • banana468 said:

It's terrible.   And you're right that we should also reach out which is why in the FB post I had the hotline is also for those worried.

In so many instances those talking about the deceased person talk about how there were recent plans in the future.   When my cousin passed my aunt talked about how he sat at the table arranging plans for his son to be working that weekend.    He was also someone who was hard to reach out to.   He very much shut down and internalized so much.   It's still heartbreaking over 2 years later. 

Someone close to Kate Spade said that she talked about travel plans.   Those give an illusion that the person is looking towards a future.   It's so incredibly sad when I think those suffering internalize so much.  

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    The suicides of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain are incredibly sad. :'( 

I'm with my mother right now. We have some family birthdays and Father's Day coming up, so she wants to make craft projects for them. She has a whole room filled with crafting equipment and spends hours watching YouTube videos of ideas for projects that she finds "cute." My dad won't go in that room.

But nobody else in our family, and very few in her circle of friends, would GAF about the things she wants to give them as gifts. I wish she'd just make them for herself instead of rhapsodizing about how "cute" they are or what her intended recipients would do with them. The odds are that those gifts would be thrown in a closet or given away at best and thrown out at worst.
  • banana468 said:

It's terrible.   And you're right that we should also reach out which is why in the FB post I had the hotline is also for those worried.

In so many instances those talking about the deceased person talk about how there were recent plans in the future.   When my cousin passed my aunt talked about how he sat at the table arranging plans for his son to be working that weekend.    He was also someone who was hard to reach out to.   He very much shut down and internalized so much.   It's still heartbreaking over 2 years later. 

Someone close to Kate Spade said that she talked about travel plans.   Those give an illusion that the person is appearing engaged in the future.

This hits home hard today.