Wedding Woes

Meet up, Next Door, FB community pages?

Dear Prudence,

My partner and I recently moved cross-country to attend a Ph.D. program in a city where I knew very few people. We each had a very active social life in our previous city but were still happy to make the move because of how much better the job market is here. It’s been almost a year and I find I’m still having trouble connecting with people inside and outside of my school. We have a few friends, most of whom we knew prior to moving, but it’s been an uphill battle to find people we like and can hang out with on a regular basis. How do we find our footing here, and how do we make some more lasting friendships?

—How to Make Adult Friends?

Re: Meet up, Next Door, FB community pages?

• If you're in a PhD program try getting involved with the Graduate Student Association or other clubs. If you're at a large university most will have multiple grad-level clubs. But also, if you're in classes with people, become friends with them. You'll (likely) have more in common with them. 

But also cultivate interests outside of school; what else are you in to? I know there's not a ton of extra time in grad school, but it's important to make sure you have something beyond classes to sustain you. 
  • YES. I'm in this boat too.  Although, I've been living here since '97.  I feel as if my friends are distancing themselves from me and I want to find people to travel and explore with.  I have found BIG success with meet up and my paranormal group.  Never even thought of FB communities.  What else ya got, peeps?

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I met a bunch of transplants in my city when I joined a boutique gym and attended group classes on a regular basis.  Now I have a handful of gym friends who I meet up with for drinks after class.  It is awesome!

• Ro041 said:
    I met a bunch of transplants in my city when I joined a boutique gym and attended group classes on a regular basis.  Now I have a handful of gym friends who I meet up with for drinks after class.  It is awesome!
    Yup! I met friends through a running group and now that I've moved again we plan races in different cities to keep up our friendship. 
  • I waited until extroverts adopted me. 

Isn't that what everyone does? ;)