Wedding Reception Forum

Teacher/school themed ideas

I’m a science teacher and my fiancé is a math teacher. I was looking for some school themed reception ideas. Our seating chart is a Periodic table and the table numbers are math problems ex. table 4 is 2+2. We also have a workbook for the kids table with fun activities that include their names. I’ve tried Pinterest, but not seeing too many ideas. It’s a destination wedding so a lot of our luggage are favors and gift bags for the guests (70 people). I don’t want to overdo it too much so looking for small things to carry. TIA! 

Re: Teacher/school themed ideas

• Thank you all for your input. That helps and relieves some stress. 
  • Omg that’s so cute haha. Yeah, our transport for all the guests are shuttles to and from the airport, but that’s adorable!
  • Something else that's very school-y is lining up. So be sure to have a receiving line, even if you do table visits as well.
  • Think of things that don't over-do it too.   You could use a chalk board to display menu items.   

That said, I'll echo others that you don't need to go crazy.   
  • I second the other PPs that it sounds like you have enough, but I would not do the table numbers as math problems. As someone with difficulties in math even simple problems spike my anxiety (it was the only class I failed in college) and it would suck to have those flashbacks during a wedding reception! Maybe do caramel apple favors, if a local place can do them?
  • Sounds good! I will keep it simple and just do the periodic table for the seating chart and little blackboards for the table numbers (no math problems). I looked for apple desserts, but they don’t offer any and outside food isn’t allowed. Having just two things will help make it not too kiddy anyways. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. 
  • I'm also team "Please no math problems to figure where I'm suppose to sit"..   

Decorate the cake with a math/science theme...  Have apples as centerpieces...  Require guests to do the simple math problem (for a kindergartner) to get you to kiss..  Have Candy Apple Red as your linen colors.  But really - it can get really juvenile really quickly even though that's not your intention.  
  • megs_tx said:
    Sounds good! I will keep it simple and just do the periodic table for the seating chart and little blackboards for the table numbers (no math problems). I looked for apple desserts, but they don’t offer any and outside food isn’t allowed. Having just two things will help make it not too kiddy anyways. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. 
    I especially like this idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Then you can play around notice boards and dry erase board that keeps your environment creative. That is what i recommend for school thinks
  • gigamade said:
    Then you can play around notice boards and dry erase board that keeps your environment creative. That is what i recommend for school thinks
    This post is three years old and called a zombie thread. The OP is already married. Please look at the date of the post before responding. Start a new post if it is something you are needing an answer to.