Wedding Woes

My brother, the drama-llama

Dear Prudence,

I have one older brother and three younger. While my older brother and I were very close growing up, we have drifted apart as adults. He moved to a big city, has an expensive lifestyle, and is always going out. I live in a small town, have a lot of student debt, and prefer to stay at home with my husband and dogs. My brother gets upset if he thinks I’m not calling or visiting enough, or spending more time with my other brothers. He lives 11 hours and a $400 flight away. When I visit, he wants to go out often, and he never offers to help with expenses despite knowing about our very different financial situations.

A few years ago, after his first child was born, he got mad that I “wasn’t calling enough” and said that he felt like I didn’t care about my nephew. The reason I talk to my other brothers more is at least in part because they also call me. When I suggested that he should reach out more if he wants to be closer, he gets mad that my “solution to the problem is that he has to pick up the phone.” It feels like a checklist, not a relationship. Talking with and visiting him stress me out, because it always comes back to my not doing enough. My husband says I should detach and only deal with him when I have to, but I’m afraid that will just escalate the problem.

—Playing Favorites

Re: My brother, the drama-llama

• If she's over this guy and only wants to see him at Christmas, then let it go. A problem can't escalate unless you let it, especially from a flight away. 
    Exactly.  They don't need to answer calls or respond to texts, e-mails, letters, carrier pigeons, etc.   And if he gets really shitty, he can be blocked.  The wonders of modern technology. 
  • I agree. My initial thought was to Stop Caring, problem solved. I mean if LW’s brother want to get all upset about how often he see LW then he can visit... but no body can make you spend money if you don’t want to.
  • I've got a brother like this, but the odd thing is, he only accused my other siblings of it (and then stopped talking to them). I suck at staying in touch - I can take days to respond to a text, and I'm comfortable with going months without talking to someone close to me and then picking up where we left off.  And yet, this brother has yet to call me out on it.  It may possibly be because I just do my thing and try not to rise to the drama. So the "stop caring" does work.

• I'm curious if "city brother" has ever come out to visit the LW in her small town.  If not, that's the card to play.  Or maybe that is the family hometown and he does visit.  If so, then there is nothing wrong with, "We'd love to visit you more often, but our budget is too tight for that until I get my student loans paid off."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker