Wedding Woes

"Only-child symptoms"? WTF?

Dear Prudence,

I have an older sister who has been emotionally abusive since we were young. She does not look at me or speak to me even when directly addressed. I cannot recall more than five times in the last 10 years when she has said a normal word to me (she only acknowledges me when she wants to be suddenly and unreasonably cruel). I grew up believing there was something wrong with me because my sister didn’t love me, and I have struggled a lot in therapy with the fact that my parents witnessed her behavior—including a violent physical assault a few years ago—but never acted. I know I need to get back into therapy to deal with this, but my problem is what to tell people when they ask if I have siblings. If I say I don’t, which is basically the case since my sister has mostly refused to interact with me for over half of my life, I worry that I’m lying and that I may slip later and make it awkward.

People have sometimes ascribed “only-child symptoms” to me, which is also weird. My parents are divorced, and I have minimal contact with all of my family members ever since the assault. If I say that I do have a sister, people usually ask follow-up questions (what’s her job, how old is she, where does she live now), which are painful for me to answer. So how should I answer? I mostly want to avoid setting myself up to hear, “But family is the most important thing in the world” in response.

—Sort-Of Sister

Re: "Only-child symptoms"? WTF?

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2018
    mrsconn23 said:
    How often does this come up in casual conversation?  Also if it's colleagues or a professional setting, not saying much is OK.  Bean fucking dip 

"Oh my family lives back east and I don't see them much.  So what do we need to put in this report?" 
    Seriously. I get that there are people out there with advice to give that no one wants to hear. But how often is this really an issue that you just cannot deal with such that you have to write to Prudie on a sure-fire way to preempt those people?
    This LW seems like the type that wants to give their entire life story off one innocuous question. 

Pro-tip: NO ONE cares that much about you when they've just met you.  If they do and want to get really deep, run away.  They may be measuring you up for a skinsuit and trying to figure out who would or would not miss you. 
  • WTH is "only child symptoms"? 

You can very easily answer this with "Yes, but we're not close." I really don't find that so many people ask about my siblings. For example, I have been going to the same nail salon for 5 years, and the same woman that has been doing my nails just asked last weekend if I have any brothers or sisters. And when I said, "Yes, a younger brother", that was the end of the conversation. I don't feel like many people ever inquire after that. 
  • Yes, but we're not close.
  • @climbingwife if you look up traits by birth order,  there are lists of them. We tease my Only Child Dad about how he is a terrible sharer and how he makes everything about him. Things like that but I know there are others.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    This is not quite the same but I always knew a coworker friend (as in we hung out outside of work, went to each others weddings/showers/etc) as an only child. When they had a baby the baby was given a middle name "that was special to the family" but she wouldn't ever go any further than that. About a year or two ago I learned (not from her) that she had a sister who died around age 18 (my friend was maybe 8th grade when it happened). That explained the namesake thing but I found it a little strange to have never told people she had a sister.  I've talked to her parents before at events and said something about her being an only child since they would come visit her a lot and after I learned I felt a little weird even though they've never corrected it. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    How often does this come up in casual conversation?  Also if it's colleagues or a professional setting, not saying much is OK.  Bean fucking dip 

"Oh my family lives back east and I don't see them much.  So what do we need to put in this report?" 

I find this to be an answer for almost every Prudie question where someone is asking for a response when strangers/acquaintances ask XYZ.

I am actively trying to remember the last time someone asked me if I have any brothers or sisters, lol.  When I was single and dating over 15 years ago?  It's probably happened since then, but that is the last "general" time I remember.

Though, if the LW is still on the younger side, ie dating and/or in college, I could see where she might be asked that more often.  But still.  No one is looking to write LW's biography. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @climbingwife if you look up traits by birth order,  there are lists of them. We tease my Only Child Dad about how he is a terrible sharer and how he makes everything about him. Things like that but I know there are others.
    Right, I've heard of older child, middle child syndrome and all that. But for LW to say they were ascribed "only child symptoms" just seems like such an odd  thing to include. I don't know. 
  • Something tells me the LW needs a new therapist if she's rehashed the story that many times with the therapist and nothing has changed in her own mind...  
  • “My family is not close”. 

Then stare at people if they have the balls to follow up. 
  • I feel like LW wants to say she doesn't have a sister, but doesn't want to feel bad about lying.  But really...who cares?  The lie doesn't hurt anyone.  I introduce my grandparents as my parents every time...technically it's a lie; it's also the truth of my reality.  LW's truth is she doesn't have a sister.  If someone gets close enough later on, LW can just say, "We have a difficult relationship" and keep going.
  • To be fair, I actually have been asked about siblings in casual conversation regularly. I have a brother who passed away when we were in our 20's, and I had to decide how to answer that question without getting into it or ending up like @kvruns CW with the secret late sister. Maybe I notice and remember more because I've thought about it, or maybe it's regional? I've also noticed it with DH, who has several halves and steps with varying degrees of relationship. 

Regardless, "I have a sister, but we're not close. [Insert bean dip here]" is all you need. 
  • Come to think of it, I had a long-time ex-b/f (two years) who originally told me he was an only child.  I found out over a year into our relationship that this wasn't exactly true.  He had never been raised with another sibling, but he actually had a whole bunch of half-siblings on both his mother's and father's side.

Maybe this wasn't fair of me, but I found it jarring to find that info out so far into our relationship.  I felt a bit misled, even though I know it wasn't a big deal and he wasn't actively trying to mislead me.

I actually found out, both times, exactly the way the LW described that she is worried about.  It was casually mentioned in conversations.  A milestone b-day for his father was coming up and he mused about if he should throw a party.  Along those lines, he wondered if any of his brothers and sisters would fly out for it.  Me:  "What brothers and sisters?" lol.

Another time, we were talking about taking a trip out with his mom to Costa Rica.  Which is where she is from.  He talked many times about how much he loved and missed his grandma.  And then randomly threw in one day that he knew his mom would like to visit her daughter.  Who apparently was raised by grandma.  Me again:  "What daughter?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's been eight years since I last saw my older half-brother or his kids. My younger full brother is going to see them soon. I would like to see the kids, but I'm not sure about my older brother. We used to be fairly close but aren't any more.