Wedding Woes

Maybe it's not about you?

Dear Prudence,

I am a cis woman. A good friend of mine who was assigned female at birth has recently come out as nonbinary and wants me to use they/them pronouns. I am happy to do so. What I am less happy with is when they make jokes that frame their decision as “I don’t act like [absurd feminine stereotypes], therefore I’m not a woman.” I feel like they’re shoving me into a box just because I’m comfortable identifying as female. Would it be cissexist to ask them to cut it out?

—Nonbinary Etiquette

Re: Maybe it's not about you?

• It really depends.

I'd call DH out if he used BS stereotypes on me.   If the deal is that you're stuck with someone who now feels that they can be discriminatory "Oh you're overly emotional because you're a woman!"  then absolutely not.

That said, you need to call someone what they want to be called.   
  • While I understand and sympathize with what the LW is saying, she needs to put it into context and not take it so personally.  At least for now.  I assume this was a difficult and long thought-out decision for her friend.  I suspect the jokes are friend's way of assuring themself that they made the right decision and/or still adjusting to the outward change of their gender identity.

With that said, I also don't think there is anything wrong with "gentle" reminders that not all women like pink or are made up of "sugar and spice and everything nice".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • While I understand and sympathize with what the LW is saying, she needs to put it into context and not take it so personally.  At least for now.  I assume this was a difficult and long thought-out decision for her friend.  I suspect the jokes are friend's way of assuring themself that they made the right decision and/or still adjusting to the outward change of their gender identity.

With that said, I also don't think there is anything wrong with "gentle" reminders that not all women like pink or are made up of "sugar and spice and everything nice".

Exactly.   I think the LW should be as understanding as possible as long as the friend isn't condescending/insulting to HER. 
  • banana468 said:

While I understand and sympathize with what the LW is saying, she needs to put it into context and not take it so personally.  At least for now.  I assume this was a difficult and long thought-out decision for her friend.  I suspect the jokes are friend's way of assuring themself that they made the right decision and/or still adjusting to the outward change of their gender identity.

Exactly.   I think the LW should be as understanding as possible as long as the friend isn't condescending/insulting to HER. 
    At least from the example in the letter, it doesn't sound like the friend has made any statements pointed at the LW.  More making statements about themself as compared to female stereotypes.  Which I'm sure they already know are silly and often untrue.  The jokes are really about them and I'd suspect those comments will wane and disappear over time. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    I would just look levelly at the friend when the friend makes these "jokes" and reply, "No, I'm not." 
  • A lot of times people belittle others when they themselves do not feel confident. You can ignore them, limit your time with them or talk to them, but their actions are probably not completely directed toward you. Happy people spend very little time tearing down others. If you feel the need to speak just say, "Is that what you think of me?". It may help them refocus and understand that you're in the conversation with them.