Wedding Woes
Options

Could Chandler BE any more annoying?

Dear Prudence,
My partner, “Ross,” and I live in a townhouse complex. Our new next-door neighbor has become good pals with Ross. Turns out, he’s a knocker. As soon as Ross gets home from work in the evenings, our neighbor knocks on the door and pulls him out for an hourlong conversation. This is frustrating for two reasons: Our younger dog barks when he hears the knocking and people talking outside, and Ross is slightly miserable about the situation but will not bring himself to set boundaries. He’s asked the neighbor multiple times to text first, but if Ross doesn’t answer a text immediately, the neighbor comes a-knockin’. I’m delighted my partner has a new pal (and he does like him!). But I’m terrified that the loud barking every evening is going to irritate the other neighbors. I’m also frustrated by the random drop-bys, but I understand it may be a cultural difference (our neighbor has only lived in the U.S. for about six months). I’m training our dog, but I don’t want him to stay completely quiet when there are noises outside the door (in case of burglars). How can I convince Ross that this is driving me nuts and to please set boundaries!
—Knocked Out

Re: Could Chandler BE any more annoying?

• Options

First off, loving the Friends references, lol.

I'd tell Rachel to find teach Ross some good, easy phrases to use when Chandler drops by.  In order to keep the chit-chat to a minimum.  And, for evenings when they don't mind the drop by, invite Chandler in.  That way the dog won't bark.

Or, when Ross and Chandler are going to be hanging outside chit-chatting, put Dog on a leash and give it to Ross.  Like, "Here, Ross.  If y'all are going to be outside freaking out the dog.  Then the dog is going to hang out with you two."

We have a close friend and neighbor who stops by often.  I think he usually, but not always, texts my H.  They usually hang out on in a little alcove by our side door.  Usually Friend doesn't even knock on the door.  He'll go meet H at that alcove.

Our dog Izzy, LOVES this guy.  He pays a lot of attention to her and plays ball with her.  She's a pretty easy sell, lol.  If they are outside and she is in the house, it is like all hell breaks loose.  Izzy doesn't bark, per se.  But she will turn into a total maniac and runs back and forth across the house.  Briefly stopping to whine at me and beg me to let her out, lol.     

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If it is just the barking, and Ross genuinely likes Chandler, tell him that when Chandler comes over he has to take the dog for a walk. Chandler can walk and chat with him and the dogs get out of the house. 

That will either a.) force Ross to set boundaries or b.) stop the barking by taking them for a walk. 

Either way, it solves LW issues without inserting herself in their friendship.