Wedding Woes

Monday!!

2»

Re: Monday!!

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2018
    My weekend was fun. The trip down to see my BFF went surprisingly well and even though it was hot it was nice. I actually got to hang with my friend the whole time we were there and she pretty much took over playing with Baby B so I got a little break. They had a pool and one of those bouncy house water slide rentals so that was fun to try out. 

Sunday got baby B a haircut (he screamed the whole time and it is a bit uneven but whatever ) and then went to Build a Bear to use the coupon. It didn't look too crowded but still took forever and he thinks everything is "MINE!!!!" so it was stressful. However seeing him drag his box down the mall hallway and people stopping to watch him and smile was so cute

Pic in box

• @Kvruns, he's adorbs. That box is almost as big as he is!! What did he get, animal wise?

• On the subject of online shopping...I have not seen much of anything exciting on the Prime Day presale. Here's hoping it get's better.
  • On the subject of online shopping...I have not seen much of anything exciting on the Prime Day presale. Here's hoping it get's better.
    I'm to scared to look! I have a shopping addiction.  I did see an advertisement for the 7 movies of the Child's Play series yesterday for only $23 and i *almost* bought it but then I'm like.....I don't even use dvd's anymore!!! Don't do it, Pam. Don't. 
    And I didn't.

• @banana468 the first night the air was down to 71 in the house. It was great. And then the second day all of a sudden it was off when we came back from the pool party (and the fans were adjusted) which made us suspicious. I didn’t rent the Airbnb so I can’t really complain about it, but I told FSIL that she needs to say something. We asked them if they had come in the house while we were gone and they denied it, but nothing was stolen and I don’t think a thief came in with the main intent of turning off the air only. We also had a car pull up in front of the house and watch the house for awhile. It was uncomfortable. Reason #30 why I’d rather just pay to have my own hotel space where the rules are all established and known. 

• Oh, and they’re also charging FSIL for five towels because they had a little makeup on them. 

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2018
    levioosa said:
    @banana468 the first night the air was down to 71 in the house. It was great. And then the second day all of a sudden it was off when we came back from the pool party (and the fans were adjusted) which made us suspicious. I didn’t rent the Airbnb so I can’t really complain about it, but I told FSIL that she needs to say something. We asked them if they had come in the house while we were gone and they denied it, but nothing was stolen and I don’t think a thief came in with the main intent of turning off the air only. We also had a car pull up in front of the house and watch the house for awhile. It was uncomfortable. Reason #30 why I’d rather just pay to have my own hotel space where the rules are all established and known. 
    That owner should probably rethink b&bing.....
    This. 

WTF?  Were they renting out their personal home?  I cannot fathom doing that, even to make quick $$.  They need to find a new 'business'. 
  • Yeah I'm with Pam and mrs.conn. Staking you out so they can come in and mess with the AC? Charging you for towels when they can easily be washed? WTF?! I'd be leaving a pretty nasty ass review detailing all of this, especially since Airbnb is so dependent on reviews. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:
    @banana468 the first night the air was down to 71 in the house. It was great. And then the second day all of a sudden it was off when we came back from the pool party (and the fans were adjusted) which made us suspicious. I didn’t rent the Airbnb so I can’t really complain about it, but I told FSIL that she needs to say something. We asked them if they had come in the house while we were gone and they denied it, but nothing was stolen and I don’t think a thief came in with the main intent of turning off the air only. We also had a car pull up in front of the house and watch the house for awhile. It was uncomfortable. Reason #30 why I’d rather just pay to have my own hotel space where the rules are all established and known. 
    That owner should probably rethink b&bing.....
    This. 

WTF?  Were they renting out their personal home?  I cannot fathom doing that, even to make quick $$.  They need to find a new 'business'. 
    Were you allowed to use the towels?? 

If you were then I'd probably dispute that with the CC.       I'd bring it up and say that regardless of who did it, you didn't get what you paid for and a discount should be issued.

I've only used an air bnb once but if the owner is not responsive to those comments then I would bring it to the attention of Air BNB as those would be grounds IMO to stop letting you use that service.  
  • There is a book called This Is Not Over by Holly Brown. It's about a woman who rents via a fictional Air B&B and tries to dispute a charge and leaves negative reviews. The owner responds... and things escalate. 
    I'm sorry you guys had a real life issue with ABB but it really reminds me of this book (and hopefully this doesn't escalate nearly as far as this fiction did!).
    If anyone likes good thrillers, this is one!

I've never rented through one of those services and don't plan to. When I'm on vacation I want maid service and deadbolts. 

• We were allowed to use the towels. It made me roll my eyes so hard. Also they were the crappiest towels I think I’ve ever used with the exception of housekeeping in Yosemite. They had a permit taped to their fridge from the city of SD allowing a “temporary dwelling service.” And SD is a pretty in demand city. The house was okay but we were deep in the shitty part of town. It was so bad when FI and I got home we pulled up to our street and were like “why does our street look so nice and green right now? Has it always looked this nice?” We do not live in a nice part of town and we do not have a pretty street. Lol. 

• levioosa said:
    We were allowed to use the towels. It made me roll my eyes so hard. Also they were the crappiest towels I think I’ve ever used with the exception of housekeeping in Yosemite. They had a permit taped to their fridge from the city of SD allowing a “temporary dwelling service.” And SD is a pretty in demand city. The house was okay but we were deep in the shitty part of town. It was so bad when FI and I got home we pulled up to our street and were like “why does our street look so nice and green right now? Has it always looked this nice?” We do not live in a nice part of town and we do not have a pretty street. Lol. 
    Well, hopefully she can put up a fight with Air BnB about it.   Seems really shady and/or dumb on the part of the owners but getting things on towels is something that happens.   If you don't want guests using them then you need to specify that.

FFS, I've been at hotels and had to deal with AF.   That's just part of the deal sometimes.   I'm not going to feel guilty for needing to use a washcloth in a place that a washcloth goes and will try to rinse out all the grossness but I'm not going to feel bad that something used to clean and dry got a little dirty.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2018
    I always leave foundation residue on towels. That stuff just doesn't wash out 100% of the time! This is why I have dark towels at my house! I shouldn't own anything white.

p.s. maybe I'm in the minority here, but I dont use sponges.  I just use my hands to spread it around.  Ain't no body got time for proper make up application. 

• I always leave foundation residue on towels. That stuff just doesn't wash out 100% of the time! This is why I have dark towels at my house! I shouldn't own anything white.

p.s. maybe I'm in the minority here, but I dont use sponges.  I just use my hands to spread it around.  Ain't no body got time for proper make up application. 
    Same, girl, same. 

We have gray and purple towels and I only use the purple towels as my face towel since they're darker. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Y'all, two raves:

1) Sharp Objects.  If you liked Big Little Lies and/or True Detective, this show is like a mash-up of those.  Or if you just like dark and twisty.  Or Amy Adams, Patrica Clarkson, or Elizabeth Perkins. 

2) Starbucks salted cold foam cold brew...the cold foam tastes like a marshmallow, and it's perfection when it mixes with the coffee.  DefConn is even a fan (I just share, he does not get his own. ;) ).
  • I've only stayed in an AirBnB once (in Boston) and, even though it was a bad experience, I would definitely stay in one again and look for those options, along with hotels, when I am planning a vacation.  Sometimes it can save a lot of money, plus usually has some kind of kitchen/fridge available to help save on the cost of eating out.

I live in a shotgun double (side-by-side duplex) and I've rented it out on AirBnB a few times, if there was a big event in town and I was between tenants.  It was a great experience.  My current tenant for that unit rents it out on AirBnB all the time (part of our agreement).  His own home is about 60-90 minutes away...more a out in the country, living in the swamps like a Cajun vibe...and he rents that out frequently.  Though that's the area vibe.  I've seen pics of the house and it is really nice and luxurious.  One of these days I'll have to ask him where he goes when he rents his personal home out, lol.

He's a Super Host for his personal home and just became a Super Host for the unit he rents from me.  And he just started renting it out in May!

------------------------------------------------------

He wants to buy or rent more homes in the NOLA area for AirBnB.  But it's becoming really dicey here.  Short Term Rentals (STRs) are a really new industry.  And cities and their laws are only starting to catch up.  On owning STRs, you will ALWAYS be at the whim of city councils.  And the general citizenry don't like them.  That's why I've been reticent about getting into this niche market, even though the profits are amazing.

There are some big players in this town who own tons of these.  They have been making insane money with them.  But I think they're about to lose their shirts. 

About a year ago, the city council...after months of active debates...put rules in place and set up a licensing system for STRs.  So everyone thought that was going to be the way it was.  But no.  A couple months ago, they put a moratorium on the STR licenses.  My tenant got his license, just in the nick of time.  You can no longer get one or get one renewed, unless you are the owner-occupant of the home.  Right now it's "temporary" while the council "figures out" how to adjust to the STRs.  But it might become permanent.

My H and I have been having some discussions!  Even though we aren't in that niche, if there is a sudden sell-off of 1,000+ houses over a 1-2 year period of time, that's going to affect real estate and rental prices all over the city. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've only stayed at an airbnb (well, homeaway since it's the same thing with less fees) twice and only when it's a better option than a hotel. The first time we rented a house on a lake for a long weekend and the second, the cabin we rented was WAY closer to the hiking we wanted than any hotels were (like, an hour closer). 

I much prefer a hotel and I'll only use a homeaway if there's a ton of great reviews and most of them emphasize cleanliness.   
  • I stayed at an Airbnb once and it was all right. I don't know if I would do it again in the future though.

Quiet weekend. It's very hot and the air is polluted.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Y'all, two raves:

1) Sharp Objects.  If you liked Big Little Lies and/or True Detective, this show is like a mash-up of those.  Or if you just like dark and twisty.  Or Amy Adams, Patrica Clarkson, or Elizabeth Perkins. 

2) Starbucks salted cold foam cold brew...the cold foam tastes like a marshmallow, and it's perfection when it mixes with the coffee.  DefConn is even a fan (I just share, he does not get his own. ;) ).
    I just read this, and LOVED it! It’s so good, I bet the show will be fantastic. 
  • That’s crazy @levioosa! We’ve started at a ton of Airbnb’s, pretty much each time we went home before we moved back here and never had any problems like that. I would definitely tell you FSIL to contact the host and if it doesn’t get resolved write a review and contact support. Even our weirdest Airbnb (where we had to watch the homeowner’s cat) wasn’t that bad. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @CharmedPam he got a tiger. He didn’t care what he got he wanted them all and I wanted something zoo like since he knows zoo animals

@mrsconn23 does it taste like coffee or more of a sweet drink? 
  • @charlotte989875 they wanted you to watch their cat?! What?! How did they even think that was okay to ask? I think this is why I don’t like Airbnb in a nutshell. I want a business relationship. But Airbnb’s blur the line and too much personal crap slips in and makes the stay stressful. 

• levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 they wanted you to watch their cat?! What?! How did they even think that was okay to ask? I think this is why I don’t like Airbnb in a nutshell. I want a business relationship. But Airbnb’s blur the line and too much personal crap slips in and makes the stay stressful. 
    To be fair we just couldn’t let the cat outside; we may have had to feed it but I don’t think so. I think she had an automatic feeder. I think we just had to give it water. And if we didn’t want to she would have had someone come by and do it (which we really didn’t want). That was our first Airbnb (probably nearly 4 years ago) and never had anything like that again. 
  • We've stayed at AirBnB/VRBO several times and had very good experiences. The only time there was an animal at the residence I knew about it ahead of time. We weren't responsible for it in any way though. It was just a heads up that there was an animal in the house in case someone had allergies. I've found them to be very cost effective for group get togethers (girls' weekends, family vacations etc.). 
  • I stayed in an AirBnB once and they had us provide our own sheets. We thought it was weird, but we always need an extra set of sheets so we just bought them ha ha. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2018
    kvruns said:

The foam is sweet (but not too much at all, IMO...the salt tempers it) and the coffee is just cold coffee.  When it mixes, it's a pretty perfect balance.  ;) 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:

The foam is sweet (but not too much at all, IMO...the salt tempers it) and the coffee is just cold coffee.  When it mixes, it's a pretty perfect balance.  ;) 
    I might have to try it although I like my drinks pretty sweet so I'd probably still need creamer to get rid of the coffee taste 
  • I stayed in an AirBnB once and they had us provide our own sheets. We thought it was weird, but we always need an extra set of sheets so we just bought them ha ha. 
    If I can, I'll bring my own sheets and towels to hotels too.  Mostly road trips when I can pack my car down.