Wedding Party

Bridesmaid dress dilemma.

So, 9 weeks until the wedding and the bridal party still doesn't have their dresses. I told them they could wear what they want as long as it was navy blue. We had an appointment at David's Bridal and they all canceled the day of. Literally minutes before the appointment. They talk like they are excited, they showed up to my dress appointment but as far as their gowns go? Nothing...I keep getting the run around. Are they just assuming something like "Well Amazon has 2 day shipping, so I have plenty of time"? I don't get it. When is it time to fire bridesmaids? I just texted my sis and asked how dress shopping was going and I got nothing, nada from her. No response. ANNOYING...

Re: Bridesmaid dress dilemma.

• @holyguacamole79 I absolutely talk to them about their lives, etc. It isn't all wedding I assure you. Maybe I am just being neurotic....
  • So if you told them to get any navy dress they want, I’d guess they don’t want to get them from david’s bridal. I wouldn’t. They’re “bridesmaids-y” and usually require alterations. I’d want to shop at stores I’m familiar with, whose pricing and quality I know. 

Also, “firing” a bridesmaid is a friendship ending move. Are you ready to do that over something your closest friends/family still have 9 weeks to do. 
  • @holyguacamole79 I absolutely talk to them about their lives, etc. It isn't all wedding I assure you. Maybe I am just being neurotic....
    It's common to get stressed out over details, especially when it's something out of your control.  Thankfully, navy is a common color and they should be able to find something easily. 

I agree with @charlotte989875 - unless it's "mandated" by the bride, I wouldn't get a dress from DB.  

My advice is to relax, remind yourself that it's out of your control, and enjoy your engagement.  If it comes down to the wire and they haven't purchased a dress, you can address that at that point.
  • @charlotte989875 I wasn't specific enough, I apologize. I would not fire them YET but if it's like down to 1 week until wedding and STILL no dresses, then yes I absolutely will. 
  • @holyguacamole79 The issue isn't what dress they wear, it's that I'm worried they will have no dress at all. I'm probably just being agro
  • edited July 2018
    @MRDCle Your response helped so much! Thank you for not being condescending and making me feel bad. I am stressed enough as it is. 
  • Take a breath. 

If you've told them the dress only needs to be navy blue, I don't see why they had to get it from David's Bridal. They still have a time. They can go buy a dress off the rack. 

The members of your wedding party are people YOU are honoring, not the other way around. "Firing" your friends, or kicking them out will end your friendships. Are you really prepared to do that over a dress? 
  • I think you need to relax.   If they know the requirement is to get a navy dress then that's an off the rack purchase and you don't need to go to David's.   You can get them at major department stores SO easy. 

And as far as "firing" - please take the advice of the rest of the ladies here.   That's a friendship ending move.
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2018

At 2 wedding's I have been in, I ordered my dress within 5 days - had the same requirements as you, color and length. 

For both, I had my eye on one from a specific store and was waiting for it to go on sale.  It did, and I got it in time.  If it didn't go on sale, I would have grabbed one of the other ones from Macy's that would have worked.  Heck, I ordered my WEDDING dress just over 2 months ahead of the day.   

Point is, this is super not a big deal.  Many ppl dislike David's Bridal, many many ppl dislike shopping together, many many many stores have navy blue dresses.  Don't stress and don't stress out your BM's.  They are adults and can handle finding a navy dress in 60 days.

ETA: Stop asking your girls about it, I guarantee you're annoying them.

Like other poster's have already mentioned - do not "fire" anyone.  It's a friendship ruining move and makes YOU the bad guy.  If they don't have a dress on your wedding day, they have taken THEMSELVES out of the wedding. 

• @holyguacamole79 The issue isn't what dress they wear, it's that I'm worried they will have no dress at all. I'm probably just being agro

SITB
    are you afraid they'll do this?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2018
    Don't fire your bridesmaids. Trust that they'll appear at your wedding on time and appropriately dressed and give them the opportunity to prove themselves.

If you didn't specify that their dresses have to come from David's Bridal (which I wouldn't do), then I wouldn't concern myself that they haven't bought their dresses there.
  • it will cause you your relationships with them if you were to fire them as your bridesmaid. and i won't actually encourage you to do that. they are your best women and you should have faith in them despite of the timeline, they have their own lives too i guess