Chit Chat

Something Borrowed, Something (Jet) Blue FTW

Re: Something Borrowed, Something (Jet) Blue FTW

• Wooowwww!  I'm so glad the BM posted the whole letter from the bride.  It was exponentially more awful than I had even imagined, lol.  And the fact that she wanted the BM jumpsuit (jumpsuit? WTF?) mailed to the "replacement" bridesmaid, but was only willing to pay for the cost of shipping and not the entire outfit, was even more outrageous.

And how, multiply times, the bride was "reassuring" her that she wasn't mad at her, smh. 

I like how even Jet Blue twittered back, "Yikes!"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMg that email from the bride. Yikes is right. Also....jumpsuit wtf. Lurkers, this is why you don't ask someone to step down!

I wish JetBlue had more affordable flights from our airport, I've continually heard good things about them but haven't had a chance to take one of their flights yet. 
  • Oh yeah, she had to get someone to fill in for the "job".  Otherwise she'd  have uneven sides! the horror!

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Wooowwww!  I'm so glad the BM posted the whole letter from the bride.  It was exponentially more awful than I had even imagined, lol.  And the fact that she wanted the BM jumpsuit (jumpsuit? WTF?) mailed to the "replacement" bridesmaid, but was only willing to pay for the cost of shipping and not the entire outfit, was even more outrageous.

And how, multiply times, the bride was "reassuring" her that she wasn't mad at her, smh. 

I like how even Jet Blue twittered back, "Yikes!"

The comments were “fun” to read in terms of who thinks BM’s have “duties”. 
  • MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    "Don't feel like you're disappointing me." WOOF.
  • The e-mail said she'd pay for the jumpsuit, not just the postage (thank God). 
    Couldn't see comments though, which is too bad. I'd love to read them, haha. 

Duties, gross. You know... part of the problem with wedding culture is that there are plenty of women who DO WANT to do all that fun stuff. Planning a shower! Planning a bachelorette! Going dress shopping! I'm a multi-time bridesmaid who always offered to do all that stuff. But you don't have to. And then when a bridesmaid or MOH is unable to offer, all of a sudden she's a bad person and can't be in the role. That sucks. Really sucks. 

Thanks for that!  I must have misread it.  Than it wasn't "quite" as bad as I thought, lol.

"Bad" being a relative term.  It's pretty bad!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    My favorite comments are bolded........

I thought it was only the maid of honor who had duties prior to the wedding. Brides maids usually do stuff the day of

Wow bridezilla is in for a rude awakening when she realizes that the wedding is only a 5 hour snapshot of her entire future. And, 2 "jumpsuit"? Is she going skydiving? Who paid for this jumpsuit?

Sheeze.I'd like to think me and none of my boys would be conned into marrying one of these biznatches, but I could be wrong...That’s really cool of jet blue.

My only question is who paid for said jumpsuit. I mean now a day usually bridesmaids pay for their own dresses. Unless it’s an old fashion type of wedding. But I certainly couldn’t afford all my girls dresses.

Thankfully they were all kind enough to pay for their dresses. One bridesmaid help me the most with DIY decorations. But that because she was our roommate at the time. Lol. My other girls lived out of state. And my maid of honor was kind enough to crochet me and the other girls follows that we can all keep forever. They came out lovely. They offer.

I did not expect them to do anything but show up and stand with me by my side.

I don’t understand these bridezilla that expect a lot from people. It is one day. That half the time you get to drunk to even remember. (I don’t drink, and neither does my husband) by the point is, you got your whole life a head of you. I was looking forward to the marriage not the day.

So many questions. Who paid for the jumpsuit? Who was waiting in the wings to replace a bridesmaid? How can any adult ask of another adult that isn’t getting paid, to commit to something you decided to do, full time? People still have lives of their own.

What in the world?Nice move by JetBlue but hopefully the bridesmaid takes that mba smarts and ditches the bride’s friendship

Maybe the (former) bridesmaid learned she has to wear a jumpsuit?!?
  • Your friend is in graduate school, and you plan a cross country, Sunday night wedding, and you have the audacity to complain when she can’t stay for all of it?!?!

This is why weekday weddings bother me- people expect everyone else to rearrange their lives for them and get angry when people have to work. 
  • levioosa said:
    I’ve mentioned before that making my bff’s DW during grad school was difficult and resulted in me losing almost a full letter grade. I had to get perfect scores the remainder of the semester to get an A. I told her several times that I would do my best to make it but it might not be possible. Luckily she understood. The decision to lose the points was my own. But what really pissed me off was her telling me that they legally didn’t get married that day. They reverse PPD’d and had the “wedding” reception first and then months later got legally married. I was livid. I agreed to take a hit on my grade to observe a wedding, not run around sweating my ass off for a poorly hosted fake celebration. 
    @levioosa I can't remember did you ever talk to her about that? 
  • @leviossa, this is new to me - but what was the point of a reverse PPD? Like for a PPD, I may get "we have to get married NOW. Right now.  For (insert reason here).  We cant afford a party so we'll do that later".  But why have the party first?  What reason!?!??!

• @banana468 Not really. I mean, when she told me I was visibly shocked and angry and I'd talked to her before that how important witnessing a real event means to people. They also got a confidential marriage license. They waited so long because her then-FI kept trying to make her sign pre-nups (he came from a wealthy family) that were super unfair to her. Like she would find out he and his mom were having secret meetings with lawyers and then he would blindside her with new pre-nup demands. He also wouldn't let go of having a huge family reunion type wedding whereas she really wanted to either elope or have a very small intimate DW. His family was incredibly (and still is) mean to her. I'm not a huge fan of her H. 

FTR, I'm a fan of pre-nups. I think at a minimum they are a good way to discuss potential future issues, and at maximum they protect both parties when they are created in a situation where there is open communication. But crafting a pre-nup in secret and trying to force a party to sign without discussing it? No. 

• levioosa said:
    @banana468 Not really. I mean, when she told me I was visibly shocked and angry and I'd talked to her before that how important witnessing a real event means to people. They also got a confidential marriage license. They waited so long because her then-FI kept trying to make her sign pre-nups (he came from a wealthy family) that were super unfair to her. Like she would find out he and his mom were having secret meetings with lawyers and then he would blindside her with new pre-nup demands. He also wouldn't let go of having a huge family reunion type wedding whereas she really wanted to either elope or have a very small intimate DW. His family was incredibly (and still is) mean to her. I'm not a huge fan of her H. 

FTR, I'm a fan of pre-nups. I think at a minimum they are a good way to discuss potential future issues, and at maximum they protect both parties when they are created in a situation where there is open communication. But crafting a pre-nup in secret and trying to force a party to sign without discussing it? No. 
    I'm with you there.   A prenup to protect a business or trust and ensure that all parties are treated fairly?   Cool.

A legal doc created on the sly and forced into my hand without my consent?   Nope.  Nope. Nope.    I think if that happened in my faith and H did that I could go to the priest marrying us and it would be grounds for the marriage to not take place.    That H sounds like an asshole. 
  • banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    @banana468 Not really. I mean, when she told me I was visibly shocked and angry and I'd talked to her before that how important witnessing a real event means to people. They also got a confidential marriage license. They waited so long because her then-FI kept trying to make her sign pre-nups (he came from a wealthy family) that were super unfair to her. Like she would find out he and his mom were having secret meetings with lawyers and then he would blindside her with new pre-nup demands. He also wouldn't let go of having a huge family reunion type wedding whereas she really wanted to either elope or have a very small intimate DW. His family was incredibly (and still is) mean to her. I'm not a huge fan of her H. 

I'm with you there.   A prenup to protect a business or trust and ensure that all parties are treated fairly?   Cool.

A legal doc created on the sly and forced into my hand without my consent?   Nope.  Nope. Nope.    I think if that happened in my faith and H did that I could go to the priest marrying us and it would be grounds for the marriage to not take place.    That H sounds like an asshole. 

I've heard in some states (though I don't remember which ones) that, for a pre-nup to be valid, each party needs to consult their own and a different attorney.  I assume to make sure that someone isn't blindsided and coerced into signing a contract that is not in their best interest.  Especially for a contract that is going to have a lot of emotions tied into it.  Related to marrying someone!!!  Not opening up a Subway franchise with your buddy, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    levioosa said:

I've heard in some states (though I don't remember which ones) that, for a pre-nup to be valid, each party needs to consult their own and a different attorney.  I assume to make sure that someone isn't blindsided and coerced into signing a contract that is not in their best interest.  Especially for a contract that is going to have a lot of emotions tied into it.  Related to marrying someone!!!  Not opening up a Subway franchise with your buddy, lol.

Prenups are not enforceable in England/ Wales (not sure about Scotland). You can’t force someone to sign a legally binding contact under duress, and it is assumed that withdrawing offers of marriage based on signing a contact or not is significant duress. It makes sense
  • Prenups are not enforceable in England/Wales (not sure about Scotland). You can’t force someone to sign away rights/ legally binding contracts under duresss and it’s assumed that withdrawing a marriage agreement based on one signing/not signing constitutes emotional duress.
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    edited July 2018
    @leviossa, this is new to me - but what was the point of a reverse PPD? Like for a PPD, I may get "we have to get married NOW. Right now.  For (insert reason here).  We cant afford a party so we'll do that later".  But why have the party first?  What reason!?!??!
    My coworker had a reverse PPD. They were plannign a mid-December  wedding and were all ready to make it legal then, but then their tax advisor told them that if they waited until after January 1st, their tax liability for that year would be MUCH less (this was a few months before the wedding date and everything was booked). So they kept the original wedding date, had the ceremony and reception, and then went and did the legal thing on January 2nd or 3rd. Thankfully their family knew about it so at least it wasn't a secret.
  • banana468 said:
    levioosa said:

I'm not sure if this is true in Alberta but that is what H and I did … and all our friends who have since gone that route. I would never understand two people creating a contract with each other and not wanting their own lawyer. Slightly more expensive but still cheaper than divorce court!

• Wow, bridesmaids have "duties" beyond standing with the bride and maybe fluffing her train? Who knew? Maybe I should pick up a whip for my daughter so that she can beat her conscripts, er, attendants if they don't toe the line!

Seriously, that bridesmaid is lucky to have the bridezilla out of her life. She is not a friend. Life is way too short to waste emotional energy (and money) on parasitic joy-suckers like that.
  • banana468 said:
    levioosa said:

Prenups are not enforceable in England/ Wales (not sure about Scotland). You can’t force someone to sign a legally binding contact under duress, and it isn’t assumed that withdrawing offers of marriage based on signing a contact or not is significant duress. It makes sense.
  • Well, I'll get flamed for this, but I think English/Welsh law has got it right.