Registry and Gift Forum

Destination Wedding

Hi guys,

My fiancé and I are getting Married next March in Tulum, Mexico and i'm running into a bit of a predicament.  We've lived together for four years, and honestly don't need or want anything for the house. With that being said, we could use some cash. However, since we're doing a destination wedding it seems tacky to do a "honeyfund". I've asked a few people and i'm getting mixed reviews. Most of the guests i'm assuming wont bring a gift as they've travelled so far and we're okay with that... but the ones who do want to give and also for the people that give gifts and don't go what do you think I should do ? HELPPPP. :(

Re: Destination Wedding

• Hi guys,

My fiancé and I are getting Married next March in Tulum, Mexico and i'm running into a bit of a predicament.  We've lived together for four years, and honestly don't need or want anything for the house. With that being said, we could use some cash. However, since we're doing a destination wedding it seems tacky to do a "honeyfund". I've asked a few people and i'm getting mixed reviews. Most of the guests i'm assuming wont bring a gift as they've travelled so far and we're okay with that... but the ones who do want to give and also for the people that give gifts and don't go what do you think I should do ? HELPPPP. :(
    You don't need to do anything. Don't have a registry or any kind. Most people give monetary gifts anyway. If anyone asks, it's okay to say "well we're saving for X" but don't flat out tell anyone you want cash and don't open any type of cash registry because A. that's tacky AF and B. then they take 7-10% of your gifts! 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Just don't register, it gets the point across and you avoid looking tacky and giving some unnecessary company a percentage of the $$ people were going to give you otherwise. It's not like before honeymoon registries people didn't understand cash was a good gift.

No one will be confused. "Registering" for cash makes no sense, if people ask where you're registered you can say "oh we're not, we're just saving up for a vacation to the moon/a new jetski/an alpaca" and they'll figure it out.
  • Trust your gut and listen to the mixed reviews.  My guess is that the reviews that were "on the fence" were just concerned about giving their honest opinion. 

Follow the advice given above!  Give yourself a "user friendly" name and stick around! 
  • Don't register for gifts. People who want to give you cash can do so directly. A honeyfund is tacky regardless of whether the wedding is local or a DW.
  • edited August 2018

deleted

• Do nothing. Don’t register, accept any gifts graciously, send thank you cards. People don’t need guidance on how to give you cash and no registry suggests you don’t need physical items. 
  • When my cousin got married last year, we couldn't go but I contacted him and said we plan to send a gift and asked where they are registered.  He said thank you for asking but we don't need a thing, we just wanted to celebrate with those we love but we have everything we need.  They had been living together and had already set up housekeeping, and I thought his response was very classy.  I did send a Target gift card because I wanted to (and because I think anyone can find something they want or need from Target), but I love that they did not ask for gifts when their household was already established and did not even hint for money toward the honeymoon.  So I recommend that you do nothing, and those who really want to give you a gift or gift card or cash will do so. 
  • Like I said on another thread, this is a zombie thread and should be closed. Change your name to something we can all recognize and get to know you knottie numbers!