Attire & Accessories Forum

How did you accessorize?

I'm getting re-married (his second also) and we are eloping at Moraine Lake in Canada. My dress is super simple but elegant (Martina Liana- Casey top/Sawyer skirt in the Stone color). My dad wants to buy the jewelry for me, and I have no idea what accessories I want. Earrings for sure, but do I stick with super simple?

Re: How did you accessorize?

• I've seen other posters recommend that you find your dress on the designer's website and take accessory cues from that. It looks like with that top the designer chose some type of headpiece and drop earrings, paring one bottom with a belt.
  • I never thought about taking cues off the pictures...that would be too obvious  :D:D
  • IMO, I'd find out what his budget is because that impacts things considerably for what you ultimately decide to get.  The other thing to think about is heirloom - if you decide to have kids is the set something to hand down.  Pearls are timeless and opportunities to wear again abound.

• Another thing to consider is how you typically accessorize on a daily basis/for formal events.  If you don't typically deck yourself out in jewels than keep to that trend for your wedding and vice versa.  Don't accessorize because you feel like you have to.
  • I knew I wanted to wear a circlet. So, I contacted a jeweler whose work I loved. She and I have been in very close contact. I got my jewelry from medievalbridalfashions.com and then I picked out earrings and a necklace that went with my circlet but weren't necessarily of the same design as the circlet. Sometimes over-repetition of a jewelry pattern looks overdone. My dress has a chapel train. So, to make it pop I added an embroidered cathedral length veil. I got my veil at glamgaldesigns.com and they also sell jewelry. They were both very nice, because I've ordered early I was able to get everything customized. I didn't bother going for the accessories at the bridal store because their selection was too limited. Make sure that if you buy accessories that you give yourself a 3 or more leeway between the time of purchase and your wedding date. And never give your real wedding date to a vendor unless is a photographer, a baker, or a videographer. You need to make sure your attire comes in with time to spare so you can make alternate arrangements if you don't like something. Etsy is also a great place to look for accessories. If you go with an embroidered cathedral length veil, make sure your aisle runner is a dark color so people can see it. Nothing sucks worse like spending a lot of money on a veil and have it disappear against your aisle runner.