Wedding Woes

It's Finally Friday!

What do we have going on this weekend?!

H made it to his mom’s last night. She keeps texting me random stuff – pictures of him loading the fishing boat, picture of him eating a muffin, etc. I live with the guy. I don’t need the play-by-play of his weekend.

Tonight I’m making food my H doesn’t like and starting my weekend binge-watching extravaganza. Tomorrow I have to run around in the morning some but then I hope I won’t need to leave the house until work on Monday!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: It's Finally Friday!

• SSC - My go to when H isn't around is seafood!  H does not eat it, so I do when he is not around! LOL!  I already have a box of Margaritaville shrimps ready to go when he goes to the Phillies game later this month with friends!

Last night was good.  I got home and cooked a quick dinner.  Then H went out to get the lawn mowing done in the front.  Our crab grass is getting out of control and even though he raised it the blade the mower stalled a few times.  I went in the backyard with DD, so she could play with her toys and for me to move the backyard furniture out of H's way for when he gets to the backyard.  He will probably mow that tonight.

H also requested we go for BBQ tonight, since he is going to be doing a lot of work around the house today - I said ok! 

This weekend we have a couple's bridal shower - H is thrilled . . . NOT!  I think we are also taking the drive up to go to our discount meat place.  They have 3.99 lb Porterhouse, but you have to but the whole loin.  They will cut it for us though, you just have to buy a whole one!  They are also have a box of 40lbs of jumbo wings for $40.  We are getting one of those to spilt with friends, since football season is starting!

Sunday will probably be church and any other chores H wants us to do!

• Happy Friday!

I've been slammed with work this week and am looking forward to a break on the weekend.   It's woken me up two times in the middle of the night and one morning I just up and went downstairs to start my day early.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a picnic at my aunt's house.  The problem is that the forecast has gone from a 50% chance or rain to now just pretty gross throughout the day.   She called yesterday to say she's thinking of cancelling.

In addition to being bummed about this, we opted out of the biggest event this summer at our marina to go to this party.   The marina event is rain or shine and tents are up.   The issue: the RSVP date for the event at the marina was 8/1.  When my aunt called she wanted to know of an open weekend in September and I'm half rolling my eyes thinking, "What are you going to do if it rains then?" 

Believe me I get that a rainy weekend isn't as fun as a sunny one.   But is it me?   If you're going to hold an event and the weather can make or break things wouldn't it be best to spend the same or less on the food you could be throwing away  and get a tent?       I think you can get a 10 x 20' for under $150 and that's far more reusable than thrown out food.   Then if the weather looks wonky you put that up, get some board games for the kids and everyone is happy.   Otherwise you're banking on availability of guests and weather that you can't control.

• No special plans for the weekend.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

DH is going to see some high school friends tonight so I'm stuck with these children.  They are sucking the life out of me and it's supposed to rain all afternoon.  BLECH.

Tomorrow am we're hoping to hit the farmers market.  MIL and sFIL are coming to take us to lunch.  I hate going to lunch with them.  The kids hate to go to lunch with them.  Yet, we always go to lunch with them.  It's what they like to do. I do have a haircut at 1:30 so I might beg off this.  Ironically my hairdresser is currently on local tv as a realtor.

We have a Crew game tomorrow night.  I wish they would just make a decision on the team going or staying. 

Sunday is my family reunion and 6let has his first scrimmage.

• My coworker (not the crazy one) and I are getting afternoon tea and macarons! I'm so excited - I have a cute little dress and lace gloves to wear.  

Remember that issue I was having with the insurance about a month ago? When trying to switch to H's? It's STILL not resolved. $200 later we are still paying for both insurances - if she does not respond I am going direct to the insurer. So annoying. 

Tomorrow I'm @ DSW in the morning then deep cleaning the kitchen

Sunday I'm going to yoga in the courtyard of our complex and maybe a pool day. 

Nothing too crazy!
  • Well my Dad was supposed to go home this morning, but started having chest paints and dizziness overnight and was transferred out of the local hospital up to the big hospital in Buffalo. Not so good. I’m still at work because my mom keeps saying she doesn’t need me to come but I might take off early and go. 

Tentative weekend plans are to wait for Verizon fios to be installed, clean the new house, and finish packing. All up in the air. 
  • @NBSquared2017 I don't remember what your insurance was but 3 of us (at least) on here work in the benefits world and might have some suggestions if needed. 
  • Charlotte - Thoughts and prayers for your dad!  Hope he improves quickly and can get back home.

NB - I work in Haddonfield, where are you getting the macaroons from?  My co-worker got some for me, for my birthday earlier this year, from a place in Philly.  They were amazing!

Funny story - I bought a box of macaroons from Epcot during our visit to France's quick serve food line.  The macaroons were for us to split when we got back to the hotel.  So I put them in our stroller's little storage box.  I told H about 5 times on our walk back to the car not to forget about the macaroons.  Well H forgot and they went flying out of the box and onto the ground when H folded up the stroller.  The package burst open and we lost all but 3.  Those 3 somehow stayed in the package.  So we go to eat them at the hotel and I gave H what I thought was the chocolate one - nope!  It was licorice!  He spit it out and said that's what he gets for ruining the entire box! 

• My annoying update: Picnic cancelled.

DH also let me know that his good friend is trying to make plans to come up on the boat for a weekend in September so I called my aunt to let her know when we're free but also said that if the the friend is only available for the date of her party we may need to back out.  

And maybe this is just bitchy of me but I feel like this is why you buy a tent and your contingency plan isn't to reschedule for rain.   Believe me - I get that rain is less fun than sun.   But you're now asking me to hold two summer Saturdays for you because your party can't be held if it rains.   And if it rains next month what's the backup then??  

I don't schedule big parties that are going to be off if it rains.   We just make adjustments depending on what happens.   Maybe that's just me?      

When I told her that I wasn't sure if FIL would try the marina event she was incredulous that it was still on.   I told her that there were huge tents up for this and she just couldn't believe that people would consider going fishing in the rain and possible thunder.   I don't think she understands that people fish in the rain all the time and thunder storms aren't so sudden that you can't see them on the radar on a smart phone which much of the boating population has (or their own radar system).  It was almost comical that she thought they would just stop it.  

Is it me?  Am I the person who is unjustly annoyed or do I get to continue to think that people who host events need backup plans for those events to continue to happen on the same day and it's not reasonable to ask people to keep multiple weekends open. 
  • Banana - I'm with you.  I had a huge open house BBQ when I bought my first house.  That first house was tiny!  It was basically a 2 bedroom apartment.  The basement I had was unfinished with a dirt floor.  When someone asked me what I was going to do if it rained, I said we would have a rave in the basement! 

Can you call the marina and see if you guys can still come even though you did not RSVP? 

• Good vibes for your dad @charlotte989875  

I took NyQuil last night and actually slept the whole night through. It was amazing up until 6 am when I had to wake up for work. Work today and tomorrow. We’re still pretending like we’re going to Yosemite so Sunday I’ll go to Costco and pick up food. FSIL and I have plans for pedicures on Sunday as well. Then I’ll be meal prepping for the days leading up to the trip. If we don’t go then I have a bunch of food cooked and ready in the freezer. Lol. 

• Banana - I'm with you.  I had a huge open house BBQ when I bought my first house.  That first house was tiny!  It was basically a 2 bedroom apartment.  The basement I had was unfinished with a dirt floor.  When someone asked me what I was going to do if it rained, I said we would have a rave in the basement! 

Can you call the marina and see if you guys can still come even though you did not RSVP? 

So we're not going to do the fishing portion of the event because the other person who would have gone can't make it.

That said, we may go to the event tonight and we'll see if we go to the potluck tomorrow.   The bummer is that FIL Is missing out on the fishing but now MIL doesn't want to hang out in the tent in the rain (why I don't know but whatever). 

We'll still go to my aunt's tomorrow for lunch which is fine.  I just don't think she gets that essentially this is a game of roulette.

And without sounding ageist, it sounds like the older you get the less likely you want to go to a picnic in the rain.   And the younger you are the more likely you are to embrace the rain and be less likely to embrace rescheduling. 
  • I had to take a mental health day yesterday and hid from the world.  I did conquer laundry mountain (or as much as i could), so that helped a little bit.

I go pick up a doggo after work and am dog sitting all weekend.  K is out of town, again, for another derby game.  Cleaning my apartment and achieving some invitations going out is about all I got.  Realistically, I'm binging the rest of Supergirl, popcorn, wine, and crying.
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2018
    kvruns said:
    @NBSquared2017 I don't remember what your insurance was but 3 of us (at least) on here work in the benefits world and might have some suggestions if needed. 
    @kvruns - I am switching to my husband's insurance and my employer was supposed to terminate my insurance. It has been 2 months and I am still paying for my insurance. I am not sure if it is something that I need to do or contact the insurance company directly to stop the coverage. I think it's my company, not Blue Cross Blue Sheild. 

@OliveOilsMom - There is a place in Mullica Hill called La Mademoiselle Macaron. They are open Thursday-Sunday and they have afternoon tea, sandwiches, cakes, and desserts. It's so adorable! 

https://www.lamademoisellemacaron.com/
  • @NBSquared2017 that would be your company. The insurance company would (or at least they should....) just tell you to contact your employer because they have to initiate the change. You would want to take documentation of the request to your HR department or whoever handles it because you're out of the window to cancel now so it might be a fight but as long as you can show you made the request within 30 days of your marriage (or whatever time frame your employer allows) it should be fine. 
  • @jen4948 fantastic! Glad she's better and doesn't need that anymore.
    @nbsquared2017 I remember you telling us that.  I can't believe it's taking this long.  It was done in a snap of the fingers with mine!

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

• kvruns said:
    @NBSquared2017 that would be your company. The insurance company would (or at least they should....) just tell you to contact your employer because they have to initiate the change. You would want to take documentation of the request to your HR department or whoever handles it because you're out of the window to cancel now so it might be a fight but as long as you can show you made the request within 30 days of your marriage (or whatever time frame your employer allows) it should be fine. 

(Sorry to be bringing up an "old" day, lol)

I had something like this happen to me years ago.  I started a new job and signed up for the medical insurance.  A couple months later, I went to the doctor because I had an ear infection.  The dr. office told me that my insurance company had no record of me.

I go back to HR and they had the gall to tell me that I hadn't signed up for the medical insurance.  I was already out of the 30-day window.  I'd kept my copies of my new hire paperwork.  Uh-huh, right there HR.  RIGHT THERE.  Once I showed her my paperwork, she finally actually pulled out their own paperwork.  "Oh, sorry, oops.  We accidentally signed you up as refusing coverage."  But, because it was on the original paperwork, they were able to correct the mistake...retroactively...with the insurance company. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker