Wedding Invitations & Paper

Return Address Question

My stationary just got back from the printer and the return address on the outer envelope and the mailing address on the RSVP response envelope have no name on the top line (long story, and ultimately my mistake). I spoke with my designer and she said she didn't ask me about it because 'many couples choose to have no names added.' I'm sort of weirded out by it but ambivalent, because we need to send them asap. But my mother is convinced that she's just saying that to cover for herself and not have us complain. She wants a reprint. Wedding is October 13th and the RSVP by date is September 7th.

Have any of you heard of this before? It's just street address on the top line and the city, state, zip on the second line. 

Would you consider this very abnormal if you got an envelope like this?

Thank you!!! I'm panicking!

Re: Return Address Question

• At the end of the day, the return address is for the postal service to send to if they can't find the addressee. So, so long as the address is accurate it would be fine. 

As a receiver, I might be skeptical of an envelope without a name on it ("who is this?") and you risk people thinking it's junk mail. I'd like to believe most of us open letters even without knowing the sender. Are there other elements of the mailing that look wedding-y?  Savvy marketers are making some of their mailings look more like personal mail so again, you risk people thinking it's junk.

If you can get a reprint at no cost I'd request it, personally. But not a hill to die on, and not something to panic about it. 

• I don't think it is a big deal for the return address on the outer envelope. I would think it looks a bit odd on the  envelope for the RSVP but you need to get those invitations out soon (usually 6 weeks to 2 months prior to the wedding). Why do you have your RSVP date so early? Normally that date is two weeks before the wedding and yours is more than a month before. Could you not change that date on the card to a more reasonable Oct. 1 or Sept. 30 and have the envelopes reprinted too?
  • I would love to do that, but don't want to pay for the cost of reprinting which would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $400. Hindsight is 20/20... ugh.
  • The envelopes wedding invites are in usually don't look like junk mail, so I wouldn't sweat it for the return address on the outer envelope. I'd likely write something funny in the name line when I sent my RSVP back if there wasn't a name there, but as long as your address is correct you'll get the response cards.

But echoing everyone else; why are your invites going out with only 3 weeks to the RSVP deadline? And why is your RSVP deadline so far away from your wedding date? Most dates are 2 weeks-ish ahead; we actually made a change a week before because we hadn't gotten our final catering invoice yet.
  • I dont' think it's a big deal at all and agree with Starmoon that they should go out ASAP.  on the return RSVP's you could always quickly print a batch of address labels (staples, Walmart, etc have packages with instructions for Word formatting).  It would take you maybe an hour to do if you are that worried!
  • I don't think it's a big deal. We had no return name above the address because we weren't living together and so "we" didn't technically have an address.