Wedding Woes

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• eileenrob said:
    Okay that is freaking ridiculous, S&S. WTF? You need an app to get a discount on chicken? Eff off, Whole Foods.

Also, I've never been to a Whole Foods. It just seems so pompous.

Edited because I'm not smart.

I went for the first time a few weeks ago and they had really great croissants and baked goods. I’ve never shopped there as a regular grocery store option.

Out my way we have Wegman’s, which is the most amazing grocery store you’ll ever go to. The selection of items and customer service is unbelievable.  

It can get crowded, but I don't mind!

I live deep in Wegmans country, like the very first store was opened in my area. I tell H all the time that I can't live anywhere that doesn't have a Wegmans because I'm that spoiled by a grocery store.
    The three years we lived without Wegmans was terrible!
    I've never even been to one and am now having a sense of loss, lol.
    I haven’t been either!  I’m suddenly jealous  :s
    My primary grocery store is Fairway, with visits to two Italian mom and pop grocery stores (D’Alessandro’s and Reali) once a week or so...I do a Trader Joe’s run about twice a month, and pop into Stop & Shop here and there too.  I’ve been to Whole Foods a couple of times but to grab a bite in the cafeteria area, not to grocery shop.
    I do the majority of my shopping at Fairway too. They do home delivery in my area, which I'm obsessed with. 
  • @LondonLisa reminded me of a real shocker of an UO I have.  I absolutely cannot stand leggings (for myself).  Everybody else finds them so comfortable.  I'm the opposite.  I think they are one of the most uncomfortable clothing items out there.  Only nylons and tights are worse, slightly.  All of those items are just too tight and form fitting on my legs.  I hate that feeling.

While I'm on the subject, I don't like jeans/most pants very much either.  They're usually uncomfortable because they're just not made for me.  I have heavier than average hips/thighs.  But a smaller than average waist.  Not so much referring to size, but to proportions.  So pants, especially jeans, are always too tight around my hips and thighs, but then my waist is absolutely swimming.  And if I get a bigger size so it is more comfortable for my hips/thighs, then the jeans just fall down 1-2" and are even worse.  If I have to wear a belt, it defeats the purpose of trying to be comfy/casual. 

So I spend my life in A-line skirts and dresses.  Which I like just fine and think are super comfy, lol.  Even lounging at home I have a collection of extra soft jersey-knit skirts.

Same problem here, but my commute to work is biking, so I have to wear pants (unless I wear a dress with leggings underneath, and I do not mind leggings for this very reason). I'm so fed up, I'm thinking of just altering every single pair of pants I ever buy so I actually have some that fit my wide hips and small waist OR just buying all my pants in the Netherlands, where the majority of woman are that body shape. Honestly, shopping for bottoms there was the first time I didn't come away from the shopping trip utterly demoralized.

• eileenrob said:
    I haven’t been either!  I’m suddenly jealous  :s
    My primary grocery store is Fairway, with visits to two Italian mom and pop grocery stores (D’Alessandro’s and Reali) once a week or so...I do a Trader Joe’s run about twice a month, and pop into Stop & Shop here and there too.  I’ve been to Whole Foods a couple of times but to grab a bite in the cafeteria area, not to grocery shop.
    Louisiana finally, FINALLY, got their first Trader Joe's about a year ago.  One in Baton Rouge and one in Metairie (suburb of NOLA).  I'd go a lot more often if it was closer, but at least its there now and I occasionally make a special trip.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just found out that Aldi owns Trader Joes. That's a pleasant surprise!
  • We recently got our first area Hy-Vee and it is a delight. They have the best Chinese food in town (I guess that doesn't say much for the Chinese food in town) and good quality, prices, customer service, etc. H and I went to a Publix once in FL but we've never been to a Wegman's. 
    There is a glorious HyVee in Peoria. I have to visit every time we go there.  I wish we had one here.  
  • @winstonsgirl I get the Saturday Globe and Mail. It is my favourite!

• I don't like most monkey species.  Especially chimpanzees.  They aren't a cute animal (to me) and it seems like they're often really mean.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't like most monkey species.  Especially chimpanzees.  They aren't a cute animal (to me) and it seems like they're often really mean.

H HATES monkeys, all monkeys. They freak him out because of all the stories about chimps and other monkey species attacking humans. 
  • I don't like panda bears.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2018

I don't like most monkey species.  Especially chimpanzees.  They aren't a cute animal (to me) and it seems like they're often really mean.

This reminds me of another one - I HATE zoos and aquariums.

I don't think they are fun, they smell, and the quality of life for the animals is abysmal. 

H HATES monkeys, all monkeys. They freak him out because of all the stories about chimps and other monkey species attacking humans. 
    GAH there was a story a few years ago about a woman that was attacked by her friend's pet chimp. Forever traumatized. 

I found a surprising amount of hate for panda bears when I was visiting CA last week, lol.  My sister and my niece (her daughter) were saying that pandas are meant to be extinct (natural selection) and should be extinct.  And that the species is "artificially" surviving because the world spends billions of dollars a year to save them.  That this money would be so much better allocated to helping other animals.

Here are their arguments.  It's not so much because of mankind that pandas are endangered.  Pandas are endangered because they don't breed well, even in the wild.  They only eat one thing.  They have no natural defenses.  Basically, they're the "special snowflakes" of the animal world and would have already been taken out by natural selection, if it hadn't been for human intervention.

Another friend was really disturbed that the San Diego Zoo has a 4-acre enclosure for their ONE panda bear.  Because that panda is one of their "stars" and definitely sells extra tickets.  While polar bears, who are migratory animals, only have a 1-acre enclosure.  So THEY are the ones who really need more room.  But most zoos have polar bears, so it's not a "pull".  Whereas, only a few U.S. zoos have a panda bear.  And SD is one of them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I found a surprising amount of hate for panda bears when I was visiting CA last week, lol.  My sister and my niece (her daughter) were saying that pandas are meant to be extinct (natural selection) and should be extinct.  And that the species is "artificially" surviving because the world spends billions of dollars a year to save them.  That this money would be so much better allocated to helping other animals.

Here are their arguments.  It's not so much because of mankind that pandas are endangered.  Pandas are endangered because they don't breed well, even in the wild.  They only eat one thing.  They have no natural defenses.  Basically, they're the "special snowflakes" of the animal world and would have already been taken out by natural selection, if it hadn't been for human intervention.

Another friend was really disturbed that the San Diego Zoo has a 4-acre enclosure for their ONE panda bear.  Because that panda is one of their "stars" and definitely sells extra tickets.  While polar bears, who are migratory animals, only have a 1-acre enclosure.  So THEY are the ones who really need more room.  But most zoos have polar bears, so it's not a "pull".  Whereas, only a few U.S. zoos have a panda bear.  And SD is one of them.

Yep. That's exactly why. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

GAH there was a story a few years ago about a woman that was attacked by her friend's pet chimp. Forever traumatized. 

I've seen that story!  And have heard quite a few others.

Chimps are so much smaller than people (height-wise) that they don't look like a danger.  But they are mostly muscle and incredibly strong.  Their jaws are also.  I watched the account of one woman who was attacked by a group of chimps.  She survived, but they killed her husband.  She said one of the chimps easily bit her finger off, in one bite.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh here's another UO. I hate zoos. Unless an animal is injured and can't survive in the wild on its own, it shouldn't be caged/corralled in an area for massive amounts of humans to come look at, especially when that animal is then forced to live in a climate its not meant to. Obviously I also have strong feelings about Sea World, and circuses, and animals that are trained to perform tricks for human entertainment. 
  • Oh here's another UO. I hate zoos. Unless an animal is injured and can't survive in the wild on its own, it shouldn't be caged/corralled in an area for massive amounts of humans to come look at, especially when that animal is then forced to live in a climate its not meant to. Obviously I also have strong feelings about Sea World, and circuses, and animals that are trained to perform tricks for human entertainment. 
    Yeah, I said that a little higher up in the thread. Circuses are awful too. I just feel so terrible for the animals, especially the birds. 

They are meant to fly, dammit.  
    Yeah, I said that a little higher up in the thread. Circuses are awful too. I just feel so terrible for the animals, especially the birds. 

They are meant to fly, dammit.  
    I agree. 

One of the zoos here has a California Condor enclosure directly across from a playground. 

Really, zoo planner-outer? You put a poor bird of prey where he has to sit and look at delicious children all day? How did no one make that connection?
  • VarunaTT said:
    I go back and forth on zoos and I'm not sure I'm comfortable landing in any for/against area.

Re: the natural selection argument, it isn't natural selection that is forcing most animals on endangered species lists into extinction.  It's human encroachment and hubris (for me, the hubris is humans encroaching into environments that aren't human friendly or are incredibly specialized human friendly, i.e. people that live w/in the environmental capacity, not mowing down environments to make them more human friendly, basically environmental colonialism).  So I feel like humans have a responsibility to try and save animals that are suffering through no environmental fault of their own.

Zoos come in not just through the saving part, but through the education.  People just...don't think beyond their own needs, desires, and requirements unless they're educated into expanding into a big picture.  Even then, they'll still deny it.  I'm not super happy about them, but I'm not really sure of what another answer is to fix the problems.

I think the entire education system in this country has formed into making workers and nothing else.  We're losing history, art, and culture b/c of cultivated obsession and self worth based in employment and it will kill us.

This is my struggle too. People care more about things they can see or have experienced, and if seeing animals up close makes someone care more about environmental protection, then is it a bad thing? If the oceans seemed like this far away place, would people not on the coasts care about their straw or plastic bag usage? If someone hadn't seen a giraffe or tiger or rhino in the zoo, would they feel the same when they learn about game farms in Africa? It's so hard to say.

That being said, zoos & aquariums and whatever have a responsibility to provide adequate living space to the animals, as close to their natural environment as possible. I saw a polar bear outside in a zoo in coastal NC, in June. Shit like that is just harmful and irresponsible, not to mention heartbreaking.
  • I feel that there are other ways to get people to care about animals that don't include keeping animals caged in zoos. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    I go back and forth on zoos and I'm not sure I'm comfortable landing in any for/against area.

Re: the natural selection argument, it isn't natural selection that is forcing most animals on endangered species lists into extinction.  It's human encroachment and hubris (for me, the hubris is humans encroaching into environments that aren't human friendly or are incredibly specialized human friendly, i.e. people that live w/in the environmental capacity, not mowing down environments to make them more human friendly, basically environmental colonialism).  So I feel like humans have a responsibility to try and save animals that are suffering through no environmental fault of their own.

Zoos come in not just through the saving part, but through the education.  People just...don't think beyond their own needs, desires, and requirements unless they're educated into expanding into a big picture.  Even then, they'll still deny it.  I'm not super happy about them, but I'm not really sure of what another answer is to fix the problems.

I think the entire education system in this country has formed into making workers and nothing else.  We're losing history, art, and culture b/c of cultivated obsession and self worth based in employment and it will kill us.

This is my struggle too. People care more about things they can see or have experienced, and if seeing animals up close makes someone care more about environmental protection, then is it a bad thing? If the oceans seemed like this far away place, would people not on the coasts care about their straw or plastic bag usage? If someone hadn't seen a giraffe or tiger or rhino in the zoo, would they feel the same when they learn about game farms in Africa? It's so hard to say.

That being said, zoos & aquariums and whatever have a responsibility to provide adequate living space to the animals, as close to their natural environment as possible. I saw a polar bear outside in a zoo in coastal NC, in June. Shit like that is just harmful and irresponsible, not to mention heartbreaking.
    I think there are "zoos" (animal parks) and zoological research centres (Like the London Zoo, Edinburgh Zoo or the Smithsonian Zoo). 

The problem is painting them with the same brush. One is filled with veterinarians/botanists/conservationists etc conducting research and preservation about the species (most of which were born in captivity and cannot be set in the wild). The other is like sea world which are for-profit attractions.

Crazy fact I learned the other day: there are more captive tigers in private ownership in Texas than all endangered wild tigers.  
  • I don't like hummingbirds. They creep me out because they move like bugs. They're essentially giant bugs. 

I also don't like butterflies. I don't understand how people can hate spiders and all other bugs but like butterflies. 
  • Not sure if this is an UO or not....?

I love a salad if it's from a restaurant. 
    I loathe homemade salads, no matter who makes them.

I can't make a salad a home to save my life! I'm with you!

I can't make a salad a home to save my life! I'm with you!

It does always seem like restaurants have better salads and dressings!

I do make salads at home often.  And they're fine.  More convenient and affordable.  Just usually not as good as restaurants.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yeah, I think it's the bagged lettuce that gets me.   Just icky IMO. 
    take out every day would cost SO much.  We already eat out for dinners way to often.

• @CharmedPam's Wed. post reminded me of another UO I have.

I do not like little black dresses (LBD's).  For myself.  I have nothing against them on other people.  I do not have one.  I will never own one.  Just no.

Black is a horrible color on me and I prefer vibrant colors anyway.  Outside of one suit and a few plain t-shirts and sweaters, I don't wear black at all.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam's Wed. post reminded me of another UO I have.

I do not like little black dresses (LBD's).  For myself.  I have nothing against them on other people.  I do not have one.  I will never own one.  Just no.

Black is a horrible color on me and I prefer vibrant colors anyway.  Outside of one suit and a few plain t-shirts and sweaters, I don't wear black at all.

I wanted a black wedding dress.  But they were all custom and over my price range.  But black - slimming! LOL