Wedding Woes

It's only Wednesday

2»

Re: It's only Wednesday

• Casadena said:

When I find the person who gave my coworker hard candies for her to suck audibly on all day, I will hit them.

I have coworker who talks softly to herself all damn day "because it helps her think straight" and "people get used to it".  Wrong, it drives me INSANE. 

Yeah, people get used to hating every fiber of your being.

I know a lot of it is because I hate her so everything she does is annoying, but this cube neighbor I currently have is the most annoying person I've ever worked anywhere near.

She'll randomly tap her nails, really loudly and really quickly. She hums, she sings, she groans, she talks to herself constantly, she clicks her tongue, she taps her feet, sometimes she gobbles when she's frustrated. She burps like 45 times an hour and says "excuse me" after every single one. When she yawns, she pushes it out and does the loud "OOOOOOOOOOOH" thing. She's literally never NOT making some sort of noise. And it's not like she taps her foot to like a beat for a while either, she'll tap it 25 times really quickly and then stop for like an hour. She has full on conversations with herself. I mean, I talk to myself too sometimes but she never stops. She'll even be over there like, "Well I think it's raining so I better grab my umbrella. I wonder if it rained enough to water my hostas. The one in the back is looking a little dry".

She's not the smartest person I've ever met and she makes all these annoying sounds when she's trying to think or concentrate so I try not to be a dick but it drives me fucking batty. The one day she asked me why I was so quiet and I said that I try to be cognizant and respectful of other people trying to work. She did not get the hint.

That is outrageous and I don't know how you haven't exploded on her.  My cubemates are not even close to that bad and I still sometimes feel like I'm going to lose my cool some days.  Most of the time I can put headphones in or I'm away from my desk enough that I can deal with it. 

I will never understand how some people have so little self-awareness. 

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @short+sassy that's still not a law here in Michigan.  And it's come up before and still isn't a law.  But if you're a corrections officer it's a whole other story!

@6fsn is it your in laws that are notorious for being hard to schedule or is that someone else?

@Jen4948 I'm sorry to hear that and wish I had advise/resources.

Today is SSDD - these next two weeks have me like:

But we'll also do more in sales these next two weeks than Jan-May combined!

Hubs was endorsed by Planned Parenthood today.  I'm a proud feminist wife.
    Thanks!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @jen4948 I’m sorry you are struggling. I have no advice, but virtual hugs and wine?

@kimmiinthemitten my mil is the pain in the ass. My fil is usually pretty easy. 
  • @short+sassy that's still not a law here in Michigan.  And it's come up before and still isn't a law.  But if you're a corrections officer it's a whole other story!

@6fsn is it your in laws that are notorious for being hard to schedule or is that someone else?

@Jen4948 I'm sorry to hear that and wish I had advise/resources.

Today is SSDD - these next two weeks have me like:

But we'll also do more in sales these next two weeks than Jan-May combined!

Hubs was endorsed by Planned Parenthood today.  I'm a proud feminist wife.
    Yay Mr. Mitten!! I’d vote for him if I lived in Michigan!
  • @ShesSoCold, I want to put on sound-canceling headphones just reading your post, lol.  A constant variety of annoying sounds like utter hell.  Though I'm dying of laughter at the description of "gobbling" when she is frustrated.  That isn't even a sound that people sometimes make, lol.

(Went on a tangent about my concerns for my newish noise sensitivity)

As an aside, I've noticed that I've become increasingly more noise sensitive over the last two years.  I've even felt physically ill on a few occasions, if exposed too long to a constant/almost constant either high or low pitched noise.  I sometimes joke to myself that I'm just becoming a crochety old lady.  But, really, I find it concerning.  After multiple exhaustive internet searches...apparently there are very few conditions with noise sensitivity as a symptom...I thought I found a potential answer.  I forget the exact phrase, but it's a giant umbrella kind of condition with all kinds of sub-conditions.

One of them was related to diabetes.  I brought it up to my endocrinologist, but he didn't think it was that.  To be fair, I don't have any of the symptoms most common with the diabetes sub-condition.  And even the noise sensitivity is a more unusual symptom of the main condition umbrella.  Geez, the main one had dozens of potential symptoms.  A couple of the other ones could quasi fit me but, overall, I didn't have any other symptoms.

Unfortunately, he really didn't have an answer for me.  On the good side, he also wasn't concerned about it.  He tentatively suggested the only other step he could think of was for me to visit a neurologist, but cautioned a neurologist might not be able to find the cause either.

It's manageable at the present time.  Though I do need to invest in some good noise-canceling headphones at work.  But if it keeps getting worse, the outside world will be too loud.  It already is once in awhile.  It's like, my ear hears what I know logically is a normal level sound.  But my brain is perceiving the noise as SO LOUD.

Oh awesome.  As if on cue for my post, some a** I work with is rocking the vending machine in the break room.  Second time today (sigh).  Sometimes the treats get stuck after they are paid for.  It's already such a loud sound, I don't need my brain amplifying it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's really interesting, S&S! I never would have thought to do research on that.

We're not allowed to wear headphones here. Some days, I get so frustrated that I think I'm going to just go off. But thankfully I don't and there's only a couple months before we get busy, then it'll hopefully only be a couple months before we move and I quit. That's what's keeping me sane.

Oh, and it's literally a gobble. It's loud and it's the shaking your head back and forth and moving your tongue in and out gobble. It's so startling!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • That's really interesting, S&S! I never would have thought to do research on that.

We're not allowed to wear headphones here. Some days, I get so frustrated that I think I'm going to just go off. But thankfully I don't and there's only a couple months before we get busy, then it'll hopefully only be a couple months before we move and I quit. That's what's keeping me sane.

Oh, and it's literally a gobble. It's loud and it's the shaking your head back and forth and moving your tongue in and out gobble. It's so startling!

No headphones!  Your work site are monsters.  I'm glad there is a light for you at the end of the tunnel.

My post actually prompted me to take another stab at internet research.  This time, I used the keyword search "noise sensitivity".  I forget what I was trying before, but it didn't yield me much luck.

Two big medical conditions associated with noise sensitivity are autism and fybromalgia (sp?).  I don't have either one of those.  But I was at least able to find info about noise sensitivity treatment.  It is not pretty.  There is basically only one.

It involves working with an audiologist for a year.  Along with a few appointments with a Otolaryngologist (ENT).  With daily at-home exercises of listening to "pink noise"* on special equipment...though I'd suspect I could possibly get away with my own listening device.  The idea is to re-train the ears and brain to hear noise as it really is, instead of amplified.  And it's not necessarily a cure.  But it will help the problem.  A substantially more expensive and time consuming process than I'd ever expected!  But, good to know.  I'm keeping that info in my back pocket for now.  However, my condition would need to get a good bit worse to start looking into it.

*Pink noise has a specific, scientific definition.  But, so as to not bore you all with the details, natural examples of pink noise are heavy rainfalls and waves crashing. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    YOu know, you might actually look at more sensory processing stuff too.
    Because I am not my kid, and I know this.
    But MAN, do I totally get her sensory stuff in a way that most people don't.  LIke REALLY get it.  In a 'wow, I wish someone had helped me with this when I was 7'.  and 'so, uhm.  I know this is not HER issue, but, uh, for a friend...if loud bass music causes nausea and makes someone throw up, would that be part of sensory processing?" (FTR, quite possibly).

A lot of sensory stuff overlaps w/ autism, but, a lot of it doesn't.  YOu end up having to search for 'sensory processing disorder' and even then weeding out stuff, (because trying to explain to people 'my child has sensory issues.  NO, she is not autistic.  NO, she doesn't have aspburgers.  no, sensory.  Just...she is going to wear her headphones and doesn't need anything else, OK?"  is a part of my life)
    OT has helped.  there are listening exercises which do help even after you're done w/ them.  Some of the other ot-ish things, like balance boards and the like are 'distractions' but seem to help (I don't balance so much as I distract my feet)
    I use earplugs (discreetly) at work sometimes (and I do excuse w/ migraines even when that's not entirely true)
    http://highlysensitiveperson.net/tips-coping-workplace-job-career-highly-sensitive-person/

• Re: laws about cops having sex with inmates, so this happened in my state. Already a law against it because this was with a minor, but 0.o

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Alaska-State-Trooper-arrested-for-attempted-sexual-abuse-of-a-minor-481285991.html

And the follow-up. 

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Additional-charges-for-former-state-trooper--483895291.html
  • GBCK said:
    YOu know, you might actually look at more sensory processing stuff too.
    Because I am not my kid, and I know this.
    But MAN, do I totally get her sensory stuff in a way that most people don't.  LIke REALLY get it.  In a 'wow, I wish someone had helped me with this when I was 7'.  and 'so, uhm.  I know this is not HER issue, but, uh, for a friend...if loud bass music causes nausea and makes someone throw up, would that be part of sensory processing?" (FTR, quite possibly).

A lot of sensory stuff overlaps w/ autism, but, a lot of it doesn't.  YOu end up having to search for 'sensory processing disorder' and even then weeding out stuff, (because trying to explain to people 'my child has sensory issues.  NO, she is not autistic.  NO, she doesn't have aspburgers.  no, sensory.  Just...she is going to wear her headphones and doesn't need anything else, OK?"  is a part of my life)
    OT has helped.  there are listening exercises which do help even after you're done w/ them.  Some of the other ot-ish things, like balance boards and the like are 'distractions' but seem to help (I don't balance so much as I distract my feet)
    I use earplugs (discreetly) at work sometimes (and I do excuse w/ migraines even when that's not entirely true)
    http://highlysensitiveperson.net/tips-coping-workplace-job-career-highly-sensitive-person/

Thanks so much for this!  It's nice to hear from someone who understands what I am talking about.  Especially because it is all fairly new to me.  I appreciate another good keyword to check and some tips on easier ways to try and improve things.  Because I wasn't finding anything in regards to treatment/help, outside of the full blown working with an audiologist for a year.  Which would be really overboard, at this time, for what I'm experiencing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948 said:
    @Jen4948 I'm sorry, Jen. Hugs for you. Do you have a doctor or therapist you can talk to? 
    No. Even if I did, I don't have insurance, and I'm out of work so I can't pay for a doctor or therapist. I just got a rejection for a job I interviewed for last week that had seemed to go well, and the only prospects I have are for more of the same shit.

I'm so sorry, Jen ((hugs)).  Job searching is one of the worst things ever.  I can totally understand why you are feeling so down.

I've occasionally been checking my company's website for accounting job openings at their Houston office for you.  No dice, so far.  They are an engineering firm, but big enough to have an accounting office in both cities.  It just occurred to me, if you're comfortable doing this, you can PM me your resume and I'll pass that along to HR.  I promise I'm not creepy, lol.

TBH, I think a lot of their jobs never get posted to the public.  Mine wasn't.  I had worked with one of their employees in a prior job.  Ran into him at Sam's Club when I was unemployed and asked if they had any openings.  He passed my resume to the big boss and to HR.  There was a new position they'd been kicking around, but hadn't taken any action yet.  And then they got my resume, which was a good match for it.  I was interviewed one week later and got a job offer the next week.  I suspect they were really excited to hire me, without going through a time consuming job posting/interview/hiring process.  And I was definitely excited that my very long job search (right during the recession) had finally come to an end.

On the idea of networking, I'm sure Houston has all kinds of after work networking events.  You just never know where a job lead might come from.  Like my random running into a former coworker at Sams.

Thanks. I can do that.
    short+sassy said:

News stories that have me smh:

• Roseanne Barr's claim that her coworkers "threw her under the bus".  WTF?  I don't think they even said anything negative about her, just expressed their disappointment with and distancing from the outrageous Twitter comment she made.  That she, herself, profusely apologized for and deleted.
    • Louisiana just passed a law this week that makes it illegal for law enforcement personnel to have sex with persons in custody.  Wait, what?  Do you mean this wasn't ALREADY a law?  I may have sprained my eyeball it rolled so far up into my head.
    Roseanne Barr threw herself under the bus with that stupid racist tweet and attitude.

I just can't with that Louisiana law.