Wedding Woes

Just another Manic Monday

How was the weekend?  Friday night was keeper training for 6let and I did a short run.  Saturday am was lazy then Max's soccer game.  Saturday night the neighbors came over for s'mores and cocktails.

Sunday was church, followed by another game for Max and 6let's first soccer game of the season.  I LOVED seeing 6let back on the field.  His team lost, but they played really well together. Really well.  It was the first time this group as played a game together and it was FUN. 

This week is busy, busy, busy.  I have cards tonight, DH is working late tonight and going in early tomorrow, and practices every single night of the week, plus school crap Thursday night.

Re: Just another Manic Monday

• Our weekend was so relaxing. We went to the 2018 Garlic Festival and got some great varieties to plant this year. DH and I just hung out with family and caught up.

We got back in town yesterday afternoon, loved on Zeus, and watched movies.

Perfect weekend! 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Day 5 of school. 
  • Weekend was pretty good.  Quite lazy :).  I ran a bunch of errands Fri. afternoon.  Slept in and made a dent in the DVR on Sat.  Sunday was our only busier day.  Some of the ceiling drywall fell in, in one of the bedrooms, for one of our rentals.  Yeesh!  We were worried it was because there was a leak in the roof.  Fortunately, no.  It's a longer story but, in a nutshell, it's just old drywall.  We checked the ceilings throughout the house and found another potential bad spot.  There wasn't time to start the repairs, but we at least went to Home Depot, got all the supplies, dropped them back off, and my H is going over there today.  However, the bummer about drywall is repairs are a multi-day process.  It usually takes 3-4 trips, because there are multiple layers of stuff that need to dry in-between steps.

On a brighter side, after checking out the drywall issue, we tried another new restaurant that had a restaurant month special for brunch.  The appetizer was fantastic, but both my H and I found the entrée mediocre and lacking flavor.  Oh well.  The restaurant is also a rum, gin, and vodka distillery.  Apparently, during the day on the weekend, they have an all-you-can drink vodka bar for $20.  If you order that, the server will bring a shot of vodka over ice in a glass.  Then, there is an area over to the side that has decanters of bloody mary mix and different juices.  Even the juices were awesome.  Both the orange and grapefruit juices were fresh-squeezed.  They were SO good!  I would have paid $20 just for the unlimited juices.  But mixing in some vodka was certainly a nice touch ;).  Suffice it to say, my H drove home after brunch, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sorry, 6, but that text made me laugh. 

I had a GREAT weekend. Had a ton of fun with my MO friends, had a great time at the game. They left early yesterday morning so we were able to just kind of relax all day. 

Back to the grind today and I need to get my workout schedule back to where it should be and figure out my eating. I'm gaining and gaining and I can't figure out why or how to get rid of it. So frustrating. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

@shessocold- it is kind of funny, but kind of not.  I wanted this teacher specifically because she won't put up with his shitheadedness (I made that word up).

You also reminded me I have a friend that has lost 40 pounds.  Someone asked her how-

"#1 Ditch the carbs which means fruit too, even when eating away from home. (Eating a burger with a fork and knife is not a big deal and still tastes delicious) Replace the fruit with veggies
    #2 Once you do #1, then only eat between 12-7pm
    #3 Replace alcohol with Sleepytime tea
    #4 Get your spouse onboard
    # 5 Don’t think of it as a diet that is temporary. It is a lifestyle. No cheat days."

Um, no thanks.

• 6fsn said:

@shessocold- it is kind of funny, but kind of not.  I wanted this teacher specifically because she won't put up with his shitheadedness (I made that word up).

You also reminded me I have a friend that has lost 40 pounds.  Someone asked her how-

"#1 Ditch the carbs which means fruit too, even when eating away from home. (Eating a burger with a fork and knife is not a big deal and still tastes delicious) Replace the fruit with veggies
    # 5 Don’t think of it as a diet that is temporary. It is a lifestyle. No cheat days."

Um, no thanks.

LOL yeah I don't want to do any of those things, except #5. I lost 25 pounds just moving more and paying more attention to what I eat. 

I have a hard time with doing TOO much. For months I wasn't eating enough, working out too much and not losing. And then I finally did lose that last little bit when I started eating more. Now I'm still doing the exact same things I was doing when I lost all the weight and I've gained like 6 pounds! This week, I will be making breakfast every day and not drinking ANY iced coffees. We shall see!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Kayaking on Saturday was perfect and exactly what I needed.  We did the 4 mile float, which was the right length, but a bit fast, so we ended up taking out quite a few times.  Met some locals, who were cool and gave us some good info for future floats.  We'll definitely be going to that river again.  I will never get in a canoe again after kayaking.  Well, never say never, but canoe will never be my first choice again.  Little bit of a sunburn.

Friday our new entry way furniture came in and I put it together.  Totally love the way it looks and it's convenience.  That spurred me to do some deep cleaning and organizing on Sunday, especially since we also have our dining room set coming in.  K is a "stuff" person. I am not and we are still trying to figure this out.  It's not that I care about their "stuff", it's that I want it to go somewhere...not the floor.  :smile:

• I was out sick on Friday - stupid cold finally caught up with me.  Spent the weekend medicating and sleeping and watching tv.  Cleaned the downstairs living room and bathroom yesterday and did all the laundry in between naps.  Still don't feel great today but good enough to plug through at work. 

We ended up skipping the Miranda Lambert show on Saturday because I felt like crap.  Glad we didn't leave the house, but a little sad not to have seen her. 

I want to paint the house.  We moved into our house in May and I haven't done anything to it.  It's very beige.  Beige tile, backsplash, wallpaper, paint, carpet, etc.  I'm not too crazy with color but I'm thinking some pretty shades of grey and blue throughout.  What kind of paint should I buy?  How do I put together a palette if I don't want dark colors on the wall?  How can I have variation, but make it look like everything flows?  I'm so overwhelmed, any advice you guys have would be sooooo helpful!!!!!

• 6fsn said:

Um, no thanks.

The only thing I could do is get DH on board, but I would have to do all the work lol 
  • Weekend was all right.  

Friday, we had dinner with my parents and grandparents.  
    Saturday, we went shopping and then had dinner at FIL's. 
    Sunday, DH replaced the kiddo's busted brake caliper and changed his oil.  We then got in the kiddie pool with DefConn.

Today has been a cluster from minute 1.  The kiddo would not get the eff out of bed and I had like, 50 things to tell him before school, we're having work computer issues and I'm in the office, our schools were on lockdown (it's over now)...but yay to seeing work peeps.  ;) 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    Casadena said:

I was out sick on Friday - stupid cold finally caught up with me.  Spent the weekend medicating and sleeping and watching tv.  Cleaned the downstairs living room and bathroom yesterday and did all the laundry in between naps.  Still don't feel great today but good enough to plug through at work. 

We ended up skipping the Miranda Lambert show on Saturday because I felt like crap.  Glad we didn't leave the house, but a little sad not to have seen her. 

I want to paint the house.  We moved into our house in May and I haven't done anything to it.  It's very beige.  Beige tile, backsplash, wallpaper, paint, carpet, etc.  I'm not too crazy with color but I'm thinking some pretty shades of grey and blue throughout.  What kind of paint should I buy?  How do I put together a palette if I don't want dark colors on the wall?  How can I have variation, but make it look like everything flows?  I'm so overwhelmed, any advice you guys have would be sooooo helpful!!!!!

Oh, @Casadena, you are talking to the Paint Queen.  I own six rental units over 4 properties.  We do a lot of painting, lol.  For exterior painting, you want to spend the money on really, high quality stuff.  Like Sherwin Williams.  But for interior painting...which it sounds like that is all you are doing...there is no need to spend that kind of money.  However, you don't want to go with the cheapest/low quality paint either.  Because it's harder to work with and you'll probably end up having to do an extra coat or two.  So, for interiors, a good mid-grade quality paint.  I like Behr.

You also want to stick to semi-gloss.  It will have a little shine but, more importantly, it is SO much easier to wipe away smudges than a flat or matte finish paint.

Gray is the latest "it" color for neutrals.  But I wouldn't call it a fad.  It's been around for a number of years and I think it will be around for many more.  We use Behr Dolphin Fin in most of our rental units.  I love it and so do my tenants!  I don't know what the magic is but, although it is a light gray, it will somewhat absorb the colors around it and will slightly change hues throughout the day, depending on the lighting.  But it is always in positive, complimentary ways.

To me, one of the biggest things that will make a wall color pop...even for a neutral color,..is to paint all the trim white.  It sounds simple, but it makes a huge difference.  I'd bet if you looked at your trim work, it's been a long time since it was painted.  And white paint, even when it is clean, will start to look dull over time.

Another cute idea, though I haven't done it (perhaps I should), is to paint the bottom half of the wall a darker coordinating color...add in chair rails (fairly easy DIY)...and then paint the top half a lighter color.

I've attached two pics of one of the duplexes we renovated.  These pics are the same unit, same paint color (Behr Dolphin Fin). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Weekend was great. Had a lot of errands to run before we leave Thursday. Had our neighbors over for dinner. But the highlight of the weekend was definitely going dress shopping with my FSIL and she picked out a dress! 
  • Casadena said:

I was out sick on Friday - stupid cold finally caught up with me.  Spent the weekend medicating and sleeping and watching tv.  Cleaned the downstairs living room and bathroom yesterday and did all the laundry in between naps.  Still don't feel great today but good enough to plug through at work. 

Oh, @Casadena, you are talking to the Paint Queen.  I own six rental units over 4 properties.  We do a lot of painting, lol.  For exterior painting, you want to spend the money on really, high quality stuff.  Like Sherwin Williams.  But for interior painting...which it sounds like that is all you are doing...there is no need to spend that kind of money.  However, you don't want to go with the cheapest/low quality paint either.  Because it's harder to work with and you'll probably end up having to do an extra coat or two.  So, for interiors, a good mid-grade quality paint.  I like Behr.

You also want to stick to semi-gloss.  It will have a little shine but, more importantly, it is SO much easier to wipe away smudges than a flat or matte finish paint.

Gray is the latest "it" color for neutrals.  But I wouldn't call it a fad.  It's been around for a number of years and I think it will be around for many more.  We use Behr Dolphin Fin in most of our rental units.  I love it and so do my tenants!  I don't know what the magic is but, although it is a light gray, it will somewhat absorb the colors around it and will slightly change hues throughout the day, depending on the lighting.  But it is always in positive, complimentary ways.

To me, one of the biggest things that will make a wall color pop...even for a neutral color,..is to paint all the trim white.  It sounds simple, but it makes a huge difference.  I'd bet if you looked at your trim work, it's been a long time since it was painted.  And white paint, even when it is clean, will start to look dull over time.

Another cute idea, though I haven't done it (perhaps I should), is to paint the bottom half of the wall a darker coordinating color...add in chair rails (fairly easy DIY)...and then paint the top half a lighter color.

I've attached two pics of one of the duplexes we renovated.  These pics are the same unit, same paint color (Behr Dolphin Fin). 

I agree (and am in the midst of painting our second house in 2 years), with one caveat. I do think it’s worth it, if you have pets or kids (or are a little messy) to invest in the higher quality paint in the kitchen & bathroom. The high key washable stuff makes the color stay even if you’re washing the walls. We found the lower quality stuff faded/washed off if your scrub too hard. I also recommend the Behr, and we go with the Marquee line. 
  • Back from vacation, back at work and a little cranky about it. H got sick Saturday night so I had to drive the entire way home yesterday. I’m exhausted. 

Vacation was amazing. The wedding was great and we had a ton of fun! The bride looked gorgeous, bar was open all night (so I drank a ton of champagne) and they had to do donuts. All wins in my book. 
  • Weekend was okay. A little stressful. I’m still not done putting away camping stuff. Squish is adorable but taking up a lot of time. He’s going to be a great cat. I finally finished the last book I bought for vacation. I’m proud of myself. I read three books this break. I might try to fit in two more this weekend. 

FI and I got into an argument right before bed last night and I feel bad about parts of my delivery. FI also wants to cuddle and hug during fights which is literally the last thing I want, and then he’s hurt when I won’t even hold his hand which just adds to my annoyance. He also didn’t understand why I was so annoyed with his new trend of telling me to “be positive” and to “stop the negativity.” Like during our trip when I started to vent about how inconsiderate it was for the others not to help me clean up dinner, he’d say “no negativity! Be positive!” No. It’s fucking rude. And I’ll be “negative about it.” Our world is a dumpster fire, people suck sometimes, and I get to vent and be angry about it. It’s not like he doesn’t come home venting about work for an hour every night. And his anxiety is crippling. But sure, my angry vents and lack of positivity are the problem. Ugh. And when, in the history of ever, has telling someone to “calm down” and “be positive” ever worked well? “It works for me!” Well then you are a special fucking unicorn. Ugh. 

Anyways. Work this week. House cleaning and my mom is coming over Friday to get nails done and then take Squish for the weekend while we are gone. School starts next week and I am not ready for it. Somehow I feel even more burnt out than I was at the beginning of break. Our teacher (same shit one from last semester) is already sending passive aggressive emails and I’m just trying to brace myself for a rough semester. The good news is the school sent out an “oops, we checked and we can’t actually force you to take some classes and pay tuition for nonessential courses” so I was able to drop a bs course that was making everyone annoyed. Thank goodness. 

• JIC  I'm still Knottie #s - this is KimmiintheMitten.

Weekend was busy!  I worked 4 events in 35 hours - I was exhausted on Sunday!  I want to buy a new bike, a cruiser style - but am being cheap so I hope they go on a bigger sale soon!  I have a mountain bike and I hate it, but it was still expensive so I hate spending more on a bike, but know it will be worth it in the end.

Today I'm WFH and cleaning since we found out yesterday the commercial H is filming tomorrow will also be in our house.  No problem, we have a bulldog, two cats, and aren't home enough for routine maintenance.  Thank God for a large junk drawer!  Oh and BIL is staying with us this week because his GF got hand, foot and mouth disease and he can't go back to their apartment for a few more days.  
  • levioosa said:
    Weekend was okay. A little stressful. I’m still not done putting away camping stuff. Squish is adorable but taking up a lot of time. He’s going to be a great cat. I finally finished the last book I bought for vacation. I’m proud of myself. I read three books this break. I might try to fit in two more this weekend. 

FI and I got into an argument right before bed last night and I feel bad about parts of my delivery. FI also wants to cuddle and hug during fights which is literally the last thing I want, and then he’s hurt when I won’t even hold his hand which just adds to my annoyance. He also didn’t understand why I was so annoyed with his new trend of telling me to “be positive” and to “stop the negativity.” Like during our trip when I started to vent about how inconsiderate it was for the others not to help me clean up dinner, he’d say “no negativity! Be positive!” No. It’s fucking rude. And I’ll be “negative about it.” Our world is a dumpster fire, people suck sometimes, and I get to vent and be angry about it. It’s not like he doesn’t come home venting about work for an hour every night. And his anxiety is crippling. But sure, my angry vents and lack of positivity are the problem. Ugh. And when, in the history of ever, has telling someone to “calm down” and “be positive” ever worked well? “It works for me!” Well then you are a special fucking unicorn. Ugh. 

Anyways. Work this week. House cleaning and my mom is coming over Friday to get nails done and then take Squish for the weekend while we are gone. School starts next week and I am not ready for it. Somehow I feel even more burnt out than I was at the beginning of break. Our teacher (same shit one from last semester) is already sending passive aggressive emails and I’m just trying to brace myself for a rough semester. The good news is the school sent out an “oops, we checked and we can’t actually force you to take some classes and pay tuition for nonessential courses” so I was able to drop a bs course that was making everyone annoyed. Thank goodness. 
    Ugh, that sounds infuriating! I'm sorry! H likes to just pretend we're good after an argument when we don't solve it. No. Either get away from me or let's try to talk about this again. 

I do have to say, though, because it's funny, that the bolded worked once for H. I'd had a terrible day at work and I came home just fuming. I decided I'd have a drink. I go to down to the bar, get a glass, fill it with ice, put in some rum, reach into the Coke box in the fridge and it's empty. H had drank all the Coke but left the box in the fridge. I called him completely irrationally irate. Just screaming at him (also this was like 8:00 pm and he was still at work). He tells me to calm down. I took a deep breath, all ready to chew his ass and somehow thought, "Yeah he's right. I am completely losing my shit over a freaking cardboard box". And no one believes him when he tells the story. 

I hope you're able to relax some and feel a little more mentally prepared for the semester! 
  • Work has been crazy!  Sorry for being MIA - I've been lurking some though!  Weekend was good.

Saturday was my BFFs family reunion crab fest.  Delicious as always!  We did not stay overnight, since we knew DD would never fall asleep in the trailer.  So many people are always in and out using the bathroom and cleaning up, that I knew it wouldn't work.  We may rent one of the smaller cabins at the campground next year, we will see though!

Sunday was just relaxing and hanging out at my parent's shore house.  They loved seeing DD.  The neighbor came over and marveled at DD's walking skills.  She has a grandchild a month older than DD and she can barely walk.  Apparently, she gets carried everywhere, so she hasn't picked up that skill yet!

Today, I met with the chiropractor and went over the treatment plan.  I have to go 3 times a week for a month and then hopefully down to 2 times per week for another month.  After that, it would just be monthly maintenance once per month.  Hoping this works out!  After my first adjustment, I feel so much better already!

• Casadena said:

Thank you for the brand recommendation!!  It is so overwhelming trying to narrow it down.  That color is almost exactly what i'm going for in our big main room and looks great with the white trim!!  We already have white trim and I am not planning to re-paint that at the moment. 

Do you use this color in all rooms or have suggestions on how to pick complimentary colors? 

• Casadena said:
    Casadena said:

Thank you for the brand recommendation!!  It is so overwhelming trying to narrow it down.  That color is almost exactly what i'm going for in our big main room and looks great with the white trim!!  We already have white trim and I am not planning to re-paint that at the moment. 

Do you use this color in all rooms or have suggestions on how to pick complimentary colors? 

We do use this color in all rooms.  It looks fine that way.  But then, they are for rentals.  We picked one color for the rentals to make life easier, lol.

You can find coordinating colors at Behr's website or at Home Depot (they sell Behr).  At the website, do a search for Dolphin Fin and it should also pull up complimentary colors at the bottom for that particular paint shade's page.  If you are at Home Depot, they have all those cards that have multiple coordinating colors on them.

Here is the link for a 5-gallon bucket of Dolphin Fin at Home Depot's website.  It has more pics of what the color looks like in a home setting.  It also has a number 790C-3.  That might be just HD's number for that shade, but I suspect it is actually that shade's number, no matter where it is purchased.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-MARQUEE-5-gal-790C-3-Dolphin-Fin-Semi-Gloss-Enamel-One-Coat-Hide-Interior-Paint-and-Primer-in-One-345005/206927178

Oh, yes.  And I know it says it is One-Coat Interior Paint and Primer.  Those are lies it will be "one-coat".  But all paint companies tell that lie, lol.  I'm "sort of" kidding.  If you all have light beige walls that are in decent shape, you might be able to get away with one-coat.  But I'd plan the time for needing to put on two coats, jic.

The walls we painted over in my pics were originally a light coral, more on the orange side.  There is no way a "one-coat, paint and primer in one" was going to cut it.  So we did use a primer first.  Because primer is cheaper than paint.  And could then get away with just one coat of the paint.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Behr also has a cool app that you can play with paint colors with. 

I also think a Sherwin Williams' interior designer will come to your house and recommend paint colors for like $100. Might be worth it!
  • Thank you guys!  I had no idea that there were apps for this sort of thing (sometimes I think I live under a rock when it comes to phone/tablet technology).