Wedding Woes

Tuesday!

What's goin' onnnnnn?

I feel good. I worked out last night, got up early and worked out this morning. I have to go to the dentist tonight, but that means H is cooking! 

My office smells like pot again. I wonder if anyone else notices this. And I need my producer to stop reading business articles. I'm so over his little buzzwords/phrases. "Circling back - let's connect". UGH. 
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Tuesday!

• I have my cousins coming into town so DH and I are finishing up cleaning and grocery shopping. Nothing too crazy!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

ooohhh Pkat- Congrats! 

Worked out and worked then did a bunch of yard work.  More work, lunch, then taking Max to the pool.  I can't find any friends to go so it looks like I'll be going off the diving board too.

• Congratulations @pegasuskat! I know it was stressful for you too and am glad your DD was able to make it to 37 weeks. Enjoy time with that adorable baby!
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018

@pegasuskat, wow!  Big congrats to you and your DD!  I'm so glad to hear things are going well overall, especially considering the complications that were going on.

Turns out the drywall repair needed at one of our rental units is beyond the handyman skills of my H.  We had to hire it out.  We're not sure of the exact financial damages yet, but it could be as high as $600.  Ugh!  It's a lot of money I don't want to pay.  But, that's why I set aside about 10% of my rental payments to go towards repairs and capital expenditures.  Capital expenditures are big ticket items that need to be replaced every X number of years.  Like roofs.

On the brighter side, my H and I have a really fun evening planned out.  We're going to K-Paul's for dinner.  It's a 4-star French Quarter restaurant started by the famous Paul Prudhomme.  It's been a long time since my H and I were there, but it is one of the best restaurants in NOLA.  And they are having prix fixe dinner special for restaurant month.  I am especially excited to go!  It's been too long.

I am a huge fan of Paul Prudhomme, so excuse me while I extol his virtues for a moment.  He is legendary in the culinary world and especially legendary in NOLA.  He's the one who first brought Cajun dishes into the world's eye.  He also popularized the "blackened" style of cooking.  It was always a popular way to prepare food in Cajun households.  But nobody cooked that way in a NOLA restaurant, until him.  During Hurricane Katrina, he had grills outside his restaurant for weeks.  Cooking up free food for rescue workers and anyone who has hungry.  Paul himself could often be found manning the grills.  Alas, he passed away in Oct. 2015. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats, PegasusKat!!  
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Pegasus - Congrats to DD and to you too!  Enjoy the new baby!

S+S - Enjoy dinner! 

I had one adjustment with the chiropractor and I feel so much better already!  I am very optimistic that this will be a long term fix for me!  I have to go again today for my next adjustment.

H is going to the Phillies game tonight with friends.  So it will be DD and I tonight.  I will pick her up from daycare and we will have dinner.  Then I think we will get into our bathing suits and play with her water mat outside.  It's so hot out, I think she will like it!  She didn't have much fun the first time, but I'm hoping if mom gets in too, she will like it!

• Not much here. Work, work, and more work. But I like it so I’m happy. 

We desparately need to start unpacking things. We're pretty much still living out of boxes and it’s getting old, quick. But unpacking is a pain, and I still haven’t decided on paint colors yet and don’t want to get everything out just to cover it up with drop cloths. H hates the one color I love and I’m indifferent about the rest.

Well probably just paint everything gray. 
  • Pkat - congratulations!!!

S&S - enjoy dinner, that sounds fantastic!!

Worked out after work last night and accidentally overslept this morning and was scrambling a little this morning.  But I was the first one on my team at work so I guess it was fine.  Had 2 really productive meetings so far this morning for a project that sort of fell in my lap earlier this year but i'm really interested in and it's been difficult to get management buy-in until now.  Very excited to have something out of the ordinary work on and hopefully take ownership of!

• Congratulations @pegasuskat

@short+sassy if I ever make it out to NOLA I’m going to need ALL of the restaurant recommendations. Have fun at dinner!

@ShesSoCold the elevator at our (extremely conservative Christian) college smells like pot. Every time my friend and I get in it we’re like how do people not notice? It feels like we’re being hotboxed just being in there. 

I got canceled from work. Which is a yay personally but a boo financially. I have so much to do around the house and so much laundry to fold. And our syllabus came out from one of our classes with a bunch of bs assignments that I am definitely not devoting time to during the actual semester so I’m going to try to get that done as well. I might try to make it to the gym but if I don’t I have a home workout in mind. 

• Congrats @pegasuskat!  Glad everyone is well!

I'm apparently still a rando Knottie over here.  But I'm really KimmiintheMitten.

I'm super frustrated today and want to punch every conservative who believes benefits are just soo easy to scam.  Due to a million reasons, my moms benefits lapsed and the paperwork wasn't returned in time.  My mom and I finally sat down together and were able to complete a new application online.  That took a solid 30 minutes.  Since then, we've received 10 pages of verification documents - most of which I completed and returned online - although her photo ID scan keeps being denied.  Argh.

I've called back and forth with her case worker.  I had a phone appointment at 2pm.  She called at noon and left a message that she was hoping after the phone interview at 2pm she could answer any outstanding questions I have.  It's now 2:21pm - she never called and didn't answer when I called her.  I'm smoke out of the ears, verge of tears angry.

To top that off, her bank was sold to a bank that doesn't have branches in the state so now I have to find a fax machine so they can complete her asset verficiation process - hopefully all by 9/4.  The system sucks - but people who have never had to apply for help and think it's just some breezy walk in the park with an Obama Phone make it worse - because I can't imagine how my mom would do all of this without help.
  • I'm so sorry @kimmiinthemitten. That sounds incredibly frustrating. 

• Congrats Pkat! 

I've tried to write this for hours and keep getting distracted.  

I can't tell if allergies are kicking in or if I have the cold my whole family has had in the last week.  Either way, ugggghhh. 

We wildly overestimated how much it will cost us to get our garage door spring fixed and a new opener.  Which is great news because we can either replace both garage door openers (we have a divided garage with 2 doors) or allocate the money to something else.   I need to set up another quote or two.  

Anyone else watch Sharp Objects?  The end was...wow.  I want to talk about it.  I told DH has *HAS* to watch it and I'll watch it again, to catch everything I missed.  ;) 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Congrats Pkat! 

I can't tell if allergies are kicking in or if I have the cold my whole family has had in the last week.  Either way, ugggghhh. 

We wildly overestimated how much it will cost us to get our garage door spring fixed and a new opener.  Which is great news because we can either replace both garage door openers (we have a divided garage with 2 doors) or allocate the money to something else.   I need to set up another quote or two.  

Anyone else watch Sharp Objects?  The end was...wow.  I want to talk about it.  I told DH has *HAS* to watch it and I'll watch it again, to catch everything I missed.  ;) 
    Have you read the book? I finished it on my vacation. I did think it was a little predictable though. 

• levioosa said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Congrats Pkat! 

Have you read the book? I finished it on my vacation. I did think it was a little predictable though. 
    No, but I agree with the predictability.  However, the way they ended it on the show was pretty deft.  And I appreciate that everyone does NOT want to go the way of Big Little Lies and try to squeeze a second season out.  I think it was just perfect in 8 episodes and being left to the imagination on what happens next.  

I enjoyed the way the show explored Camille and Amy Adams fit perfectly in the role.  
  • We have Sharp Objects in queue.  I have informed K that they are to stay home in October, so maybe we can watch it then. 

I love doing our weekend travels of all the things, but we need some home time too.  Right now, home game first week of September, trying to squeeze a float in 2nd weekend, then 2 out of town booking last 2 weeks of September.  There's one we could probably get out of, but um...well performer K might've thrown a fit about not being booked in a show that was in their first home bar and they're a former state title holder now and well...yeah, temper tantrum thrown, invite given out, and now we pretty much have to go, whether it's convenient or not.  Then 2nd booking at brand new club/show that should be fun.

Pulling myself out of my bad headspace for the last few months.  Back on some medicine that I didn't really want to be on, but it's just easier to admit I need it to feel normal, than to cry for months on end and not be able to get out of bed.  I love my life and want to live it.

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    Congrats @pegasuskat!  Glad everyone is well!

I'm apparently still a rando Knottie over here.  But I'm really KimmiintheMitten.

I'm super frustrated today and want to punch every conservative who believes benefits are just soo easy to scam.  Due to a million reasons, my moms benefits lapsed and the paperwork wasn't returned in time.  My mom and I finally sat down together and were able to complete a new application online.  That took a solid 30 minutes.  Since then, we've received 10 pages of verification documents - most of which I completed and returned online - although her photo ID scan keeps being denied.  Argh.

I've called back and forth with her case worker.  I had a phone appointment at 2pm.  She called at noon and left a message that she was hoping after the phone interview at 2pm she could answer any outstanding questions I have.  It's now 2:21pm - she never called and didn't answer when I called her.  I'm smoke out of the ears, verge of tears angry.

To top that off, her bank was sold to a bank that doesn't have branches in the state so now I have to find a fax machine so they can complete her asset verficiation process - hopefully all by 9/4.  The system sucks - but people who have never had to apply for help and think it's just some breezy walk in the park with an Obama Phone make it worse - because I can't imagine how my mom would do all of this without help.

I'm so sorry to hear that!  I'm assuming this is/are government agencies.  As a general rule, it doesn't even matter which ones they are, they are all dysfunctional and at times, nightmarish.  And you often can't get any help from anybody.  It is such an exercise in frustration.

I can only imagine how extra difficult it is for folks with major disabilities. Especially when their needs are so much more dire for the benefits and help they need.

I'm the most familiar with Section 8 (housing assistance), though on the landlord side.  I know it isn't easy.  In my area, that program is closed to new participants because the waiting list is already a few years long.  Tenants' finances and household income is reviewed annually.  There is a lot of red tape, stupidity, and miscommunication on my side.  So I'd assume that is also true for participants.  Though, it is administered locally and I've heard there can be big differences in how S8 offices are run.  Even though it is a federal program.   

I also don't understand why there are still industries obsessed with fax machines, smh.  I swear, government agencies and banks are the only ones keeping that alive.  Earlier today, I made a change to my auto insurance.  The State of Louisiana requires me to sign some meaningless form that I'm rejecting Uninsured Motorist property coverage.  Louisiana even stipulates that Progressive can ONLY send me the form by either fax or snail mail.  AND it has to be returned in the same manner.  WTF?  So stupid.  Plus, my changes don't go into effect until Progressive receives my form back.  Which, ironically, is adding UI injury coverage. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats @Pegasuskat! Enjoy the new bundle of joy :)