Plus-Sized

Driver's license renewal in December.. Wedding next July! Real ID worth it??

Looking for advice... I've got my renewal coming up in December, but will be changing my name after the wedding in July. My question is would it be easier to just plain renew now, then change my name later and then apply for the real ID in 5 years? Or should I get the real ID now then change my name next year? I'm not sure how difficult it is to do any of them! Advice??

Re: Driver's license renewal in December.. Wedding next July! Real ID worth it??

• Looking for advice... I've got my renewal coming up in December, but will be changing my name after the wedding in July. My question is would it be easier to just plain renew now, then change my name later and then apply for the real ID in 5 years? Or should I get the real ID now then change my name next year? I'm not sure how difficult it is to do any of them! Advice??
    I don't think there is a lot of "wiggle room" in renewing your license.  You are obliged to have it renewed on or before the expiration/due date.  You can't change your name unless/until it has been legally changed first, obviously. 

Renew your license in December with your current legal name.  You have no choice.  Once you marry, you are not obliged to change your name in any haste.
  • The important thing is getting your documentation together for the Real ID which can be a REAL PITA...  You'll have to do all that paperwork a second time with the name change anyway, so you may as well hold off on upgrading to the Real ID until the time of the name change when you have your marriage license in-hand...
  • Yeah I mean, renew your license when you need to legally renew it. Whenever you change your name, go get the new license.  I got the real ID with my married name on it a couple months ago. Just make sure you research all the things you need to bring (including a certified copy of your marriage cert) and carve out a good chunk of your day.
  • Because you'll have a different last name I would not renew for a Real ID now.  

HOWEVER, I think you also need to look and see if you're traveling anytime between your license renewal and name change to ensure that you're traveling with all appropriate paperwork that may be needed.