Wedding Woes
Options

Therapy, and maybe not spend time with the 'defenders'.

Dear Prudence, 

My husband, who grew up Catholic, was abused by his parish priest as a child. Recent revelations and the Pope’s visit to Ireland have opened a lot of wounds, and he’s been extremely on edge, reacting strongly to any mention of the subject and posting aggressive comments on social media. A lot of my family are devout, which has resulted in some unfortunate interactions. I really want to be supportive and I completely understand his feelings, but at the same time I want to keep the peace and don’t want to be in the middle. He also often goes too far—for example, accusing anybody who supports the church of being a rapist. How do I resolve this situation? I don’t want him to feel I don’t support him, even if it is true at times.

—Angry at the Church

Re: Therapy, and maybe not spend time with the 'defenders'.

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2018
    VarunaTT said:

I don't even want to keep the peace.  This organization broke...I mean, are we into the thousands yet? of children, and now, adults, their partners, and their families.  And these aren't old stories. I completely suspect, hell I believe, it's still happening.  The religious component just adds another level of horror to it. 

The PA grand jury said up 300 priests and THOUSANDS of children...In that diocese ALONE.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    VarunaTT said:

I don't even want to keep the peace.  This organization broke...I mean, are we into the thousands yet? of children, and now, adults, their partners, and their families.  And these aren't old stories. I completely suspect, hell I believe, it's still happening.  The religious component just adds another level of horror to it. 

The PA grand jury said up 300 priests and THOUSANDS of children...In that diocese ALONE.  

Wait, what!?!  How many priests are there in that diocese?  What kind of a percentage are we talking.  I'm guessing it is substantially more than pedophile % compared to general male population.  I'm only picking on men because priests can only be male.

I can't help but wonder if some of those priests became priests...not because they had a calling...but as a means to be near children and "trusted" as an authority figure.

As to the LW, she really needs to encourage her H to seek therapy.  Old wounds are being opened and he is in emotional distress.  I would have an issue with calling Catholics rapists.  Especially if said around or, even worse, toward my family.  Or denigrating my family's religion, in front of them.  I suspect her H is the one bringing the subject up.

He and her family need to have an "agree to disagree" policy on Catholicism and both sides need to drop the subject with each other.

Although not as horrific a subject, I have this unspoken policy with my mom and one of my oldest friends.  They are on very opposite sides from me on the political spectrum and on many issues.  There are a lot of subjects I just avoid and/or only touch on lightly to keep the peace. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    VarunaTT said:

Wait, what!?!  How many priests are there in that diocese?  What kind of a percentage are we talking.  I'm guessing it is substantially more than pedophile % compared to general male population.  I'm only picking on men because priests can only be male.

I can't help but wonder if some of those priests became priests...not because they had a calling...but as a means to be near children and "trusted" as an authority figure.

As to the LW, she really needs to encourage her H to seek therapy.  Old wounds are being opened and he is in emotional distress.  I would have an issue with calling Catholics rapists.  Especially if said around or, even worse, toward my family.  Or denigrating my family's religion, in front of them.  I suspect her H is the one bringing the subject up.

He and her family need to have an "agree to disagree" policy on Catholicism and both sides need to drop the subject with each other.

Although not as horrific a subject, I have this unspoken policy with my mom and one of my oldest friends.  They are on very opposite sides from me on the political spectrum and on many issues.  There are a lot of subjects I just avoid and/or only touch on lightly to keep the peace. 

This was over 6 or 7 decades.  So yeah, systemic, ongoing abuse and exploitation of children. 
  • Options

@mrsconn23 and @flantastic, thanks for putting the time frame, in context.  I thought it was 300 people who are priests right now/recently.  Just in PA.  Now the stat makes a lot more sense.  Or, at least as much sense as a stat like that could make :(.

But, good points, the ugly part of such a long timeframe is to show just how endemic and systematic the cover-ups have been. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I’m with @STARMOON44 and @VarunaTT I’m not interested in keeping the peace nor am I interested in telling survivors how to manage. And if she wants to be supportive she needs to recognize his way of managing might not be warm and fuzzy. Bad shit happened and I think anyone defending the church or the priests doesn’t get a pass because of avoiding “unfortunate interactions”. 
  • Options
    i'd suggest a therapy
  • Options
    I’m with @STARMOON44 and @VarunaTT I’m not interested in keeping the peace nor am I interested in telling survivors how to manage. And if she wants to be supportive she needs to recognize his way of managing might not be warm and fuzzy. Bad shit happened and I think anyone defending the church or the priests doesn’t get a pass because of avoiding “unfortunate interactions”. 

To clarify my own thoughts, I agree with the bolded.  But my impression from the letter is that her H is also crapping on Catholicism and Catholics, in general.  That is religious intolerance and it is not okay.  A person can be horrified by what their church has done, but still attend Mass and believe in and follow the core beliefs.  They shouldn't be called "rapists" for that and have their faith denigrated.

I have always found the Catholic church (as an organization) abhorrent for a lot of reasons.  Long before any info came out about covering up priest pedophilia.  Most of my issues aren't even religious-based.  I'll bad mouth how the Catholic church has treated those specific issues, but I don't bad mouth the whole faith and certainly not the people who follow it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

To clarify my own thoughts, I agree with the bolded.  But my impression from the letter is that her H is also crapping on Catholicism and Catholics, in general.  That is religious intolerance and it is not okay.  A person can be horrified by what their church has done, but still attend Mass and believe in and follow the core beliefs.  They shouldn't be called "rapists" for that and have their faith denigrated.

I have always found the Catholic church (as an organization) abhorrent for a lot of reasons.  Long before any info came out about covering up priest pedophilia.  Most of my issues aren't even religious-based.  I'll bad mouth how the Catholic church has treated those specific issues, but I don't bad mouth the whole faith and certainly not the people who follow it.

This is where I am as well.   

The only slight comparison I can come up with is comparing Americans to the current administration.     You can be a patriotic American who is vehemently against current leadership and actions taken by the administration.

But you need to walk the walk and talk the talk.   And if the LW's family members are talking about being devout then they should be outraged and not defensive. 
  • Options

I have always found the Catholic church (as an organization) abhorrent for a lot of reasons.  Long before any info came out about covering up priest pedophilia.  Most of my issues aren't even religious-based.  I'll bad mouth how the Catholic church has treated those specific issues, but I don't bad mouth the whole faith and certainly not the people who follow it

He was abused by a priest. I don’t think he has to abide by the standards everyone else should as someone who is suffering from violence and trauma. 

• Options

I have always found the Catholic church (as an organization) abhorrent for a lot of reasons.  Long before any info came out about covering up priest pedophilia.  Most of my issues aren't even religious-based.  I'll bad mouth how the Catholic church has treated those specific issues, but I don't bad mouth the whole faith and certainly not the people who follow it

He was abused by a priest. I don’t think he has to abide by the standards everyone else should as someone who is suffering from violence and trauma. 

I think if someone isn't a rapist you shouldn't call them one.   Full stop.

I agree he is suffering from trauma and her family needs to understand fast that this is an institution that has actively sought to cover up illegal activity.     They should not defend those actions and being defensive does nothing.  

However suffering from any kind of trauma, PTSD and the like does not make his actions acceptable either.   Again, this is why he really needs the help of a trained professional.
  • Options
    So I do think people who covered up the abuse, or knew and didn’t say anything, and just as responsible and anyone who defends them is part of the problem. 

Do I think parishioners who has no role in the abuse, the cover up, and who had no idea should be called rapists? No of course not. But I do think I’d they are not calling out the leadership they’re part of the problem. 
  • Options
    So I do think people who covered up the abuse, or knew and didn’t say anything, and just as responsible and anyone who defends them is part of the problem. 

Do I think parishioners who has no role in the abuse, the cover up, and who had no idea should be called rapists? No of course not. But I do think I’d they are not calling out the leadership they’re part of the problem. 
    Totally agree.
  • Options

The issue here though is that the parishioners are the backbone of the Church.  Church money comes from them, the support network is literally them.  I think that's why it's so hard to separate this out, even though we really want to.  It's the same token as all white people are participating in a racist system, so what do we do about it?  And until i see a full scale revolt of Catholics who throw out the offenders of all stripes...I really don't see where we call them innocents.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:

The issue here though is that the parishioners are the backbone of the Church.  Church money comes from them, the support network is literally them.  I think that's why it's so hard to separate this out, even though we really want to.  It's the same token as all white people are participating in a racist system, so what do we do about it?  And until i see a full scale revolt of Catholics who throw out the offenders of all stripes...I really don't see where we call them innocents.
    FWIW, I came from mass yesterday where our priest and pastor of two parishes (two churches in town are linked for the time being) who stated just that.   He stated that on the local level, there will be a meeting within the parish for parishioners to address.  He's admonished Bishops and the hierarchy for their participation in this.    I'm not aware of his next steps but he has been addressing the current situation head on.

I also agree that diocese as a whole may need to be far more transparent.   Show me the books.    Tell me how much has been spent to defend priests.  What are they doing now as a remedy? 

It one of our topics of dinner the other night.  Sitting at a table full of Catholics not one felt that that the behavior was defensible. 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    VarunaTT said:

FWIW, I came from mass yesterday where our priest and pastor of two parishes (two churches in town are linked for the time being) who stated just that.   He stated that on the local level, there will be a meeting within the parish for parishioners to address.  He's admonished Bishops and the hierarchy for their participation in this.    I'm not aware of his next steps but he has been addressing the current situation head on.

I also agree that diocese as a whole may need to be far more transparent.   Show me the books.    Tell me how much has been spent to defend priests.  What are they doing now as a remedy? 

It one of our topics of dinner the other night.  Sitting at a table full of Catholics not one felt that that the behavior was defensible. 

Also, @VarunaTT I completely agree with you.   We still have a systemic issue in a hierarchy.   Our priest commented, that often those appointed to be Bishops (and then Cardinals) are Cannon lawyers.   They are all too familiar with exactly what needs to be done from a system standpoint and exactly what you need to do to the letter.   And yet while preserving Cannon law these Bishops and Cardinals were so consumed with following their interpretation of the law that they didn't protect the children.

He said that there's a protocol that a Bishop is to have the last word in a meeting.   In one meeting with a victim of sexual abuse within the church a bishop commented that the last word went to the victim and ridiculed that process.   He said that's like rushing your family out the door because the house is in flames but yelling at your kid for leaving the light on.       

• Options
    banana468 said:
    VarunaTT said:

I have an online friend who is an attorney and occasionally sets ups charities in her line of work.  She has mentioned before that the Catholic church she and her H attend won't open their books, even to members of the congregation.  So they don't donate any money to them.  She's even bluntly told them that they tithe 10% of their income and most of that would go to the church, if they can see what/how the money is being spent.  It's still a nope, so they tithe their money to other charitable causes.

I'm not saying this an "across the board" thing with Catholic churches and/or churches in general, but her experience has had me curious if this kind of attitude is common among places of worship.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

I think if someone isn't a rapist you shouldn't call them one.   Full stop.

I agree he is suffering from trauma and her family needs to understand fast that this is an institution that has actively sought to cover up illegal activity.     They should not defend those actions and being defensive does nothing.  

However suffering from any kind of trauma, PTSD and the like does not make his actions acceptable either.   Again, this is why he really needs the help of a trained professional.
    Oh I don’t think he should be, I just think in this situation, you tell the people who haven’t been abused to get over it and change their settings if they want because he’s clearly suffering, and gets more leeway to behave inappropriately