Wedding Woes

Still not the weekend yet...

13»

Re: Still not the weekend yet...

• levioosa said:
    Thanks everyone. I guess we’re car shopping after all. Lol. 
    Ugh; that all sucks. Hopefully insurance comes through quickly. 

We we have a crazy car getting totaled story. Our last year in grad school awe lived in an upper apt and we only had on street parking. H parked his car right across the street from the house. At 3am the doorbell is going off and H goes to see what’s going on. Ten minutes later I get up and go out because he’s not back yet. He’s talking to two police officers who are asking about the last time and place H saw the car. He said “about 10pm right behind you”. 

Two guys stole H’s car, drove it about 2 miles away and crashed it into the porch of a house then took off on foot. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @shessocold, how shitty of H's boss.  It's a personal decision to not want to buy the company
    @short+sassy, sounds like a great deal!  I suck at talking the price down.  Good on H! 
    @NBSquared2017, I did NOT need a letter from H's company when I switched.  I know this, because it would be easier to pull the boss' teeth out than get a letter from his! All I needed was to provide my company proof of current insurance and voila.  Sorry your'e having such a hard time!
    I was thinking this too. I do employee benefits in IL and all I need to terminate someone is the reason why (and I prefer the app, but not necessary). I don't even need proof of anything. 
    Technically proof isn't required at all, however we always tell clients to get proof for any allowable changes in case they ever have to prove that it was within the rules. Usually it is geared towards letting someone on the plan outside of open enrollment as those consequences can be greater if you screw up, dropping someone from the plan isn't a huge deal and just the letter should have sufficed. But each employer is allowed to require whatever they want. 
  • kvruns said:
    @shessocold, how shitty of H's boss.  It's a personal decision to not want to buy the company
    @short+sassy, sounds like a great deal!  I suck at talking the price down.  Good on H! 
    @NBSquared2017, I did NOT need a letter from H's company when I switched.  I know this, because it would be easier to pull the boss' teeth out than get a letter from his! All I needed was to provide my company proof of current insurance and voila.  Sorry your'e having such a hard time!
    I was thinking this too. I do employee benefits in IL and all I need to terminate someone is the reason why (and I prefer the app, but not necessary). I don't even need proof of anything. 
    Technically proof isn't required at all, however we always tell clients to get proof for any allowable changes in case they ever have to prove that it was within the rules. Usually it is geared towards letting someone on the plan outside of open enrollment as those consequences can be greater if you screw up, dropping someone from the plan isn't a huge deal and just the letter should have sufficed. But each employer is allowed to require whatever they want.

Stuck. 

Yep. As the agency, I don't tell an employer what to require, but I do recommend the same.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • levioosa said:
    Thanks everyone. I guess we’re car shopping after all. Lol. 
    Ugh; that all sucks. Hopefully insurance comes through quickly. 

We we have a crazy car getting totaled story. Our last year in grad school awe lived in an upper apt and we only had on street parking. H parked his car right across the street from the house. At 3am the doorbell is going off and H goes to see what’s going on. Ten minutes later I get up and go out because he’s not back yet. He’s talking to two police officers who are asking about the last time and place H saw the car. He said “about 10pm right behind you”. 

Two guys stole H’s car, drove it about 2 miles away and crashed it into the porch of a house then took off on foot. 

It seems like that is so often how the story ends when you hear about a stolen car!

I mean, if a thief is going to go to all the trouble of stealing a car and facing jail time if caught, then at least make good use of the car.  Don't drive like an idiot and crash it a short distance away.  I can only imagine alcohol and/or drug use are major factors in these scenarios, smh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2018
    I just got one of those things that stick to the back of your phone to make it easier to hold on your shoulder.

I put it on crooked. And it's driving me nuts.
    omg. I was trying to picture why you would need this and how it works....and I'm like, "she's placing her phone on her shoulder? why?" like literally picturing it just sticking there as you walk around.

And then I realized - you're using your phone as a phone!!!

edit:  I gotta stop reading posts before my morning coffee.....

• I just got one of those things that stick to the back of your phone to make it easier to hold on your shoulder.

I put it on crooked. And it's driving me nuts.
    omg. I was trying to picture why you would need this and how it works....and I'm like, "she's placing her phone on her shoulder? why?" like literally picturing it just sticking there as you walk around.

And then I realized - you're using your phone as a phone!!!
    LOL I'm sorry it's my work phone. And now I'm picturing my phone just perched on my shoulder, hanging out all day.

Thank you for this. I'm like one more email away from hitting a coworker.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • levioosa said:
    So someone just totaled FI’s truck. He’s okay but I’m sure stressed out. He parked it on the street and was walking away when another car hit it and destroyed it. No one was hurt and I’m glad they weren’t in the car at the time and were safely away. I’m also really glad they weren’t in his tiny tin can company car. 
    I'm so sorry to hear this. i'm very glad he is ok. 
  • @shessocold, how shitty of H's boss.  It's a personal decision to not want to buy the company
    Thanks! I was able to print the temporary cards off the website, so I should be all set. I was told they can't prorate my checks...I'm fine with that. I was paying for a single so it's only 94.00 for the month. 

I'm just more annoyed because she made it seem like she needed a simple letterhead and now it seems she needs the blood of my first born child lol 

Can you call the insurance company directly if the HR director doesn't do it?  What a PITA.

I don't remember it being this hard to GET on DH's insurance and cancel mine.   It was just a PITA to STAY on it.   Personal vent;

-His employer hired an outside contractor to help curb insurance fraud.   Essentially you had to prove that you were still allowed to be covered as a spouse.   Do you know that it's a pain in the ass to prove that you DIDN'T divorce?   They wouldn't accept a marriage license from years ago and we had to ask what WOULD work to prove that the two people living in the same house with the same last name with a filed marriage license and no divorce record were actually married.  Otherwise I would lose my benefits.

-Then, by some fantastic stroke of genius, his company decided that if you have a spouse who is "eligible for coverage" then it would be an extra $1300 / year to insure that spouse.  It absolutely chapped my ass because I'm offered insurance benefits through my company.   However I could be employed as a contractor making tons more and not penalized.   OR, I could have elected to be a SAHM spouse and not be penalized.   And technically the ACA made everyone have access to benefits but because my husband has a spouse who has a job that offers benefits it would cost US more per year.   It's a really really shitty policy.   Ultimately we elected that I would get my own medical ins. and stay on DH's dental which costs less. 

Sorry.   Rant over!

• banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

I got an interesting call this morning from Section 8 (housing assistance).  In regards to my least favorite, PITA tenant.  Who my H and I have been strongly considering giving a 30-day notice to vacate anyway, putting in new floors, and then selling it.  We're on a month-to-month lease.  Sorry it's a long story!  And this is even the briefer version, lol.

The a/c part of the HVAC conked out a couple years ago in her house.  The heat part still works.  Too expensive to fix for such an old, crappy unit.  Not worth it to replace.  The house is only worth about $60K-$65K and a new HVAC would probably run $6K.

Instead, I put in window units for all the bedrooms and the living room.  Which are SUPER common in this area, anyway.

Unfortunately, on an inspection earlier this year, the inspector pointed out that two of the bedrooms have no other egress, than the window.  So we took those units out and put in portable a/c's, instead.  They still vent through a window, but can be yanked out in seconds, in case of a fire.

Unfortunately again, these bad boys use more electrical power than the window units did.  Our tenant complained back in May that they have to keep flipping the breaker, when both of those units are running.  I sent out an electrician.  Nothing can be done, other than totally rewiring that side of the house.  Definitely not doing that either.

I am TOTALLY sympathetic with her plight.  But I'm not spending thousands on either of those items.  I very clearly told her that.  Twice.  Because apparently she didn't believe me the first time.

I also told her that I absolutely understand if this is not an acceptable situation for her and, if she wants to find a new place, just give me notice.  I'll be super flexible.  It doesn't even need to be a 30-day one.  She just needs to pay for whatever days she is still living there and I'll return the pro-rated rest of the rent.

She didn't want to do that.  She didn't want to move.  Sure.  I haven't heard anything else about it.

Until today.

Her case worker called me because I won't "fix the a/c" and this tenant has requested a "special inspection".  To clarify, she wasn't being rude or mean at all, she was just calling to discuss it with me.  I told her the history on this.  She seemed to understand exactly where I was coming from.  She didn't mention anything else about scheduling a "special inspection".  She said she would call the tenant back and basically relay what I have already told this woman.  That it's not being fixed and her option is to give notice and move.

JFC, what exactly did this tenant THINK was going to happen?  That I'd (maybe) fail the inspection and then replace the HVAC?  Hell no!  Failing an inspection = 30-day notice to vacate for you.  Period.  Not as retaliation, but I can no longer collect rent under a govt. program until whatever has failed is remedied.

I'm not sure she fully grasps the reality that, just because she's lived there for over 8 years...I've owned the house for 3 years, I inherited her...doesn't entitle her to stay there forever, while I waste thousands of dollars to make it "perfect" to her liking.  Especially when she gives zero f**ks about getting the rent to me anywhere near the due date. 

As an aside, I also wouldn't need to put a new HVAC in to sell the house either.  Or rent it to someone else, for that matter.  It would probably raise the value some, but I doubt that higher value would even come close to matching my cost.

I think she thinks you’re going to spend the money to fix the AC? I can’t imagine a landlord pulling this nonsense on me. I don’t care if it’s expensive, the things you told me the apt have need to keep working and not in a way that’s constantly shorting the power. 
    Why is that nonsense?   The alternative is a notice to GTFO.    I'm also guessing that the issue is when BOTH units are running.   There are ways to work around things like that with fans.  Granted, I'm not in NO but when it's been hot here we run an AC where we use them.   Neither kid has an AC in the room but we sleep with an open door and run fans into the kids rooms to move the cold air into where they are sleeping.

@short+sassy just out of curiosity, are there more energy efficient units that use less electricity out there? 

so what?  If i'm renting a place with central air conditioning, it breaks, then I get window units, then different portable units that trip my breakers, rendering them and potentially other electrical outlets useless - that's not my problem, it's the landlords problem. And btw, window units and central air are in no way equal.  At all. 

And I believe you and your H own your house.  If that's the case, then you CHOOSE to only have AC in your room and not the kids, you don't make those concessions bc you can't actually run multiple units at once bc your landlord won't fix it.

ETA: I totally get that this woman has been a nightmare tenant but I think it's a totally different issue. 

That is a fair point.   We own and make the choice to do this.  

I'm on the fence.   If it's included in the lease I think she has a legitimate gripe.  

But isn't it a month to month?   So at that point can't the landlord modify the agreement to say, "Sorry but Central AC is no longer part of the rental agreement in the new lease terms.  I can reduce to $ for the following months to accommodate the inconvenience." 

That's the sticking point for me.   It would be far different if it wasn't a month to month.
    Doesn’t sound like she’s even offering a discount and around here my landlord can’t retaliate against me for demanding they maintain the apartment by kicking me out. 
  • @shessocold, how shitty of H's boss.  It's a personal decision to not want to buy the company
    Thanks! I was able to print the temporary cards off the website, so I should be all set. I was told they can't prorate my checks...I'm fine with that. I was paying for a single so it's only 94.00 for the month. 

I'm just more annoyed because she made it seem like she needed a simple letterhead and now it seems she needs the blood of my first born child lol 
    Right.  Exactly. And $94 is still $94!  That's like a good dinner out with drinks included.  Or a good dinner out twice without drinks!  But still....a good dinner!