Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wedding Program Question...

My father suddenly passed away in May, and I am getting married on October 1st.  How do I, or should I, incorporate his name onto my wedding program?  I got to the "Parents of the Bride" section and kind of froze up.  Any suggestions?  I don't want it to be weird for the guests, but I would also like to honor him.  I'm not sure if this is a way to do that or not.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Re: Wedding Program Question...

• I would list your living parents in this section.

If there is a Memorial section, you can include your father and any other deceased relatives you would like to remember there.
  • Do you need to have a program? If you don't have a complicated religious service, it may just be easier to skip this. Carry a memento of him in your bouquet instead.
  • I agree, unless your ceremony will be hard to follow, a program isn't necessary and would spare you the uneasiness of how to handle this situation. I would include mementos of him in other ways; you could attach something to your bouquet, include his favorite drink, play the song he loved to dance to, etc. People who knew & loved him will pick up on those details and be reminded of him in a subtle way that doesn't take away from the happiness of the wedding.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.

On the back page of our program, we had a short note about "those who could not be with us today". It included some recently deceased relatives and also guests who couldn't come. 

We also had a single candle burning on the guest book table. We knew what it was for, but it didn't have anyone's name on it or picture by it (to avoid guests feeling uncomfortable or sad). 
    *********************************************************************************

• katj10katj10 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2018
    I am so sorry for your loss!

The last page of our program read:
    In Loving Memory
    During the service, we will place flowers at seats reserved for those who have passed, but who hold a special place in our hearts and who have shaped who we are today:
    [Names]

I made "reserved" tags that were placed on a small section of one of the front pews and during the service we placed white roses at those places. It was meaningful for both my husband and me. The pastor also mentioned these people at some point - I think it was during the prayers.