Wedding Woes
Options

Monday!

2»

Re: Monday!

• Options
    @banana468 upon re-reading I see I left out a critical detail in my attempt at brevity. She was told to give her kid formula, and refused.

Yep, agree, I had to do weigh-ins frequently that first month as well for my DD, but didn't have to go as far as you with weighted feeds. An extra 2 oz of newborn formula per day helped her weight (and her jaundice). 

Early breastfeeding was a struggle because you (general you) know, you know, that supply should equal demand. I'd spend all day long nursing the baby only to have her crying and cluster-sucking by evening. I knew I should keep nursing all evening to get my supply up, but you'd give her the formula and she'd be content. I tried a lot of things to boost production but I swear I was dry by dinner. It was so frustrating, and finally I just embraced the formula usage and became a combo feeder. In the end, I was able to breastfeed just over a year through a combination of BM, formula, and then regular solid food after the 6 month mark. 

I just can't believe that someone would be so anti-formula that they would defy doctor's orders and let their kid not grow.  She said they started solid food "earlier than normal" (whatever that meant, I didn't ask) and then she gained weight. I can't even. I just can't even. 

• Options
    @thisismynickname2 someone on a local breastmilk sharing group on FB was like that. She'd mention how her daughter was getting welfare checks for not gaining but she refused to use formula, although was looking into goat's milk instead. She was asking for donations but I think she was super strict on it, had to be vegan diet I believe (not bc of the baby's needs but just because she wanted that). I snooped and googled (I forget why but something triggered it) and saw her husband had been arrested for neglect of the kids and maybe she was too in previous years and I was thinking wtf people stop having kids
  • Options
    @thisismynickname2 that is crazy - I absolutely cannot stand people like that. Glad most everyone had a good weekend. Working from home last week went really well I think and it was nice to be with family for more than just a quick weekend (~5 hour drive, so it's doable, but tight on a regular weekend). Something I ate for lunch is REALLY not sitting well and I'm crabby because it's Monday and I'm already tired. We leave on Friday for vacation which is great, but we're heading to a city where we have a lot of friends, but none of them know each other - so trying to coordinate plans has been kind of a cluster. Then at the end of vacay is the wedding that my in-laws were crazy B-listed to. Still haven't gotten a present, and probably won't unless H brings it up. I don't even feel bad. They also have a no kids under 16 rule for the reception but kids are totally allowed at the ceremony bc they want parents to have a relaxing, no-stress evening as well. They totally have numbers for GREAT baby-sitters though. All that info splashed all over the invites and website too. But don't worry, we have the opportunity to contribute to their huge ridiculous honeyfund (How TF can I contribute to "help you travel emissions free"....). I'm hardcore side-eyeing this whole thing.
  • Options
    I’m a big fan of breastfeeding. It has huge benefits and (especially for my lower income/undocumented patients who might be afraid of trying to get aid) it’s free. That being said, your baby is underweight? You supplement. You’re not a bad mom. Fed is best. Some people have huge issues with breast feeding. It just doesn’t work for them so they use formula. Cool. Fed is best. I have a real problem with some of the pro-breastfeeding groups that shame and bully mothers. They’re also the groups that perpetuate the idea that formula is somehow evil. No. If your kid needs it, they need it. Don’t make moms feel more shitty than they already do. 

• Options
    Oh your poor, sweet daughter @ILoveBeachMusic.  We've all been there and I cannot imagine if it was x2 when DefConn was baby.   We were pretty loosey goosey with his schedule on the weekends, but travel or big crowds definitely put it out of whack and he didn't sleep or cried all the time.  <3  I hope last night went better for her.  
  • Options
    Your poor daughter @ILoveBeachMusic; my niece didn’t sleep for my sister at all and it was so hard to watch her go through it. They will eventually get tired (I hope!). 
  • Options
    love it love it.  LOVE IT. @kvruns.  

• Options
    So, I was all ready to comment on everyone's stuff, but then I saw MJL's pictures and forgot everything I was thinking about.

Girl, you are STUNNING. Those pictures are gorgeous. The dress, everything. Love.

And yes, fuck you if you're intentionally going against doctors' orders and literally starving your kid. NOPE.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes, last night went better and hopefully they are napping better today. She is at work, and they are with the nanny. I'm sure I will get a report this evening. I love that reminder @kvruns! We do all think others have the perfect life because we just see their good stuff!
  • Options
    LOVE that @kvruns
    @ILoveBeachMusic good vibes to your daughter.  I compare myself to other moms and my kids to other kids too often.  None of mine were good sleepers at all, not in infancy or toddlerhood.  They're 3, 3, and 4 now and I still get jealous when I hear the mom of a 2-month-old say, "yeah, she's been sleeping through the night for over a month now".  It's hard.