Wedding Woes

Therapy, yo.

Dear Prudence,

I’m a queer woman in her mid-30s married to a guy, and for as long as I can remember, I’ve been, to varying degrees, gender dysphoric. I’ve gone from being a kid who refused to be called a girl to an adult who has learned to role-play femininity but still very rarely feels it. I grew up with a mother who believed that displays of femininity (and emotions in general) were signs of weakness and should be crushed—crying over emotional things was met with derision; crushes were dismissed as “stupid hormones”; acting “like a girl” was an insult. However, I now work in a male-dominated industry and am often the only woman in a room, meaning I spend a lot of time being a feminist voice raised against a sea of middle-aged men. My issue is that I often don’t know how much of what feels like gender dysphoria—being uncomfortable in my female skin, compulsively wearing painfully tight sports bras to flatten my breasts, weightlifting to give myself a more powerful physique, etc.—is actually dysphoria, and how much is just internalized misogyny. Am I uncomfortable feeling like a woman because that’s how I’m wired? Or am I uncomfortable because society has done such a good job from day one of convincing me that female is the worst thing a human can be? How do you even sort that out?

—Gender Dysphoria, or Just Hating My Gender?

Re: Therapy, yo.

• mrsconn23 said:
    Dear Prudence,

I’m a queer woman in her mid-30s married to a guy, and for as long as I can remember, I’ve been, to varying degrees, gender dysphoric. I’ve gone from being a kid who refused to be called a girl to an adult who has learned to role-play femininity but still very rarely feels it. I grew up with a mother who believed that displays of femininity (and emotions in general) were signs of weakness and should be crushed—crying over emotional things was met with derision; crushes were dismissed as “stupid hormones”; acting “like a girl” was an insult. However, I now work in a male-dominated industry and am often the only woman in a room, meaning I spend a lot of time being a feminist voice raised against a sea of middle-aged men. My issue is that I often don’t know how much of what feels like gender dysphoria—being uncomfortable in my female skin, compulsively wearing painfully tight sports bras to flatten my breasts, weightlifting to give myself a more powerful physique, etc.—is actually dysphoria, and how much is just internalized misogyny. Am I uncomfortable feeling like a woman because that’s how I’m wired? Or am I uncomfortable because society has done such a good job from day one of convincing me that female is the worst thing a human can be? How do you even sort that out?

Word.   Therapy.

Also, LW needs to understand that just because she's the lone person in a room in a group does NOT mean that she needs to be the spokesperson for that group.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Dear Prudence,

after reading the bolded, yeah, you need to talk to a therapist.

• Yeah, therapy. 

That's pretty much all I've got. I know it's SUPER different but I realized in my early 20's that I don't know where the line is between my anxiety and my actual thoughts, opinions, goals, etc. I didn't know if I actually didn't like something or if I was just afraid of it. Therapy and therapy and therapy have started to help me work through that a bit. I hope LW can find a good therapist, trained in this area who can help her.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, therapy. 

That's pretty much all I've got. I know it's SUPER different but I realized in my early 20's that I don't know where the line is between my anxiety and my actual thoughts, opinions, goals, etc. I didn't know if I actually didn't like something or if I was just afraid of it. Therapy and therapy and therapy have started to help me work through that a bit. I hope LW can find a good therapist, trained in this area who can help her.
    Yes I so agree with this. It’s hard to figure out! That’s what therapy is for!
  • The LW's mother sounds like a real piece of work.  Those are deeply rooted feelings of shame for normal human emotions/actions  that would have been planted before the LW was even out of toddlerhood.  I think anyone coming out of that environment could benefit from therapy sessions.  Definitely agree with the other PPs that the LW's problems cry out for help from a therapist who can help this person work out their feelings.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Therapy.
    Go.
    Now.