Chit Chat

Guest "rules" list...seriously??

augustgirl21augustgirl21 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited September 2018 in Chit Chat
Tried to see if this was already on here but didnt see anything. Sorry if this article has already been brought up. 
Anyway, last night my Google app recommended a story about wedding guest "rules" from a wedding planner that the internet was losing its shit over!! Curious I read the article...
Some (bullshit) rules...

Don't wear white, ivory, creme to a wedding. 
(I have heard of this before. Personal preference) 

No full face of make up (What?? Why??) 

Gifts must be $75 or more to be admitted into the venue (no. Sorry.) 

NO TALKING TO THE BRIDE (Umm....why.) 

There was more but I kinda got stuck on the NO TALKING TO THE BRIDE. It was mentioned more than once. 

Has anyone heard of this before??? 
So many questions of how and why this got started. 
If you don't want people talking to you, don't invite them!! 
I was so excited to talk to people at my wedding!! Especially out of town friends and family I don't get to see often!! 
Why, why, why. 

Edited to find article and link. 

http://www.thisisinsider.com/wedding-planner-sent-rules-and-regulations-people-are-shocked-2018-9

Re: Guest "rules" list...seriously??

• Well, the not wearing white thing has been a "rule" for as long as I've known. I would never wear white to a wedding. The other stuff is nonsense. 
  • If H insisted on going to this wedding I’d show up with my hair blowed our nicely, with professional makeup done, and in a silver dress (sorry I still can’t do white to a wedding but they’d probably be just as annoyed about silver) and I after checked in on Facebook. 
  • First thought: boy her spelling is atrocious.

Second thought: we just went to a wedding with some of these "rules," but they were outlined on the wedding website by the bride. Yes, we all rolled our eyes out of our heads.
  • The not wearing white I get. I would never send anything out telling anyone that though. One of my friends who was a reader at our wedding wore a ivory dress. My MOH gave me a look and I kinda did a slight, "yup. Letting it go" head shake to her. I never said anything but I noticed. If she hadn't been a reader (aka in front of everyone) I probably wouldn't have noticed/remembered. What also caught my attention was that she had a different dress on at the reception...whatever. 

• "A hair too far". Um no, this was an entire basic bob or ponytail too far. 

Some of the things are nuts but I can see the point (=/= agree), but why not full makeup? TF does that have to do with anyone but me? 

So now we gotta deal with brides here pissed that some people wont wear makeup at all AND that others will wear too much? SMH.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I typically give quite a bit more than $75 as a gift,  but considering all of the money I’d spend on professional hair and makeup for this wedding..lol

Regarding the validity of the “wedding planner”- not in my circle but I’ve seen it enough on Facebook- among certain groups a bride will have her friend/sister/cousin who is the bossiest and who’s also the one most likely to go to Michael’s/enjoys somewhat artistic activities be the “wedding planner”.  This person sometimes has a FB page tagged but usually not, and it seems more like a side gig than a career that involved formal training.  I immediately thought it was that kind of wedding planner as opposed to JLo in the movie.
  • I can't imagine that this is real.

You want me to follow those rules?  Fine.   DH will wear gray pants and a Hawaiian shirt and I'll show up in a black cocktail dress. 

Everyone should "know" that a full ensemble of white is for the bride.   But the rest?  Oh FFS maybe it's because I'm now older than most brides who create these BS lists but I'd just laugh at it.   What will they do?    Lose money on food because I didn't spend enough?  Are they planning to kick me out if I take a picture at the reception?  Give me a break. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2018
    Is that $75 before or after the coupon discount? 

(edit to add I didn't bother with the article, synopsis was enough)

• How are they supposed to know the gift is $75 or more? I'm certainly not going to rip open my package or envelope to show! I guess I get a redo, because at least 50% of our gifts were less than that. :expressionless: 

I really want to know what they mean by a "full face." The bride who enacts this rule is then going to be annoyed at me for showing up without makeup and "ruining" her photos with my red spotted acne face.

I just don't understand. How does doing your hair nicely affect the bride? How does me toasting with sparkling cider instead of champagne because I'm pregnant affect anyone else? 
  • I'd also like to know what "full face makeup" means. My everyday makeup is foundation, mascara, eyeliner and blush. Or does eye shadow and lipstick need to be included in that too??
  • My rule. Don't take advice from anyone who doesn't bother to spell check.

Image result for amen meme
  • I wouldn't wear white to someone else's wedding, but the rest of this is ridiculous. 

The "no talking to the bride" thing is a new one on me. I had dinner last night with a friend who got married earlier this year, and she said she wished she had more time to talk to everyone at her wedding! 
  • Not wearing white I can understand...but not talking to the bride????

That's going to be one lonely bride...long before the wedding is over. Good thing (for her) she's getting married, so she'll have one person in her life to interact with after the wedding...assuming ththe marriage survives one day beyond the wedding. And that assumes her FI doesn't dump her before the wedding day.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2018

Apparently the "not talking to the bride" was the most important point, because it was in all capital letters, lmao.

I was totally picturing some medieval kingdom where, to be allowed to speak to the king and queen, you have to bow first and not make eye contact, lol.

Maybe that can be a new "wedding job".  A person who runs interference between the bride and guests that try and talk to her.  Like, "I'm so sorry Bride Susie's Great Aunt Karen.  But Bride Susie simply doesn't have time to speak to the riff-raff at her reception.  Please run along and I will pass your congratulations to her."  Bonus points when Bride Susie is standing right there to have heard everything Great Aunt Karen said anyway, lol.

And the event where someone tells me how to wear my hair and make-up, is an event I either don't attend or do just the opposite.

The hair.  OMG, especially hilarious for me.  My hair is long.  So it can't be a bob.  So I guess that leaves ponytail as the only acceptable option?  To me, ponytails are super casual and just wouldn't feel right (for my own self) at most people's weddings wearing my hair that way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker