Catholic Weddings

Someone may have already asked this but...

I am unsure if it is proper to invite the priest who is marrying us to our reception. We do not know him or the church because we are getting married outside of our home churches for location reasons( i am from baltimore he is from philadelphia so we picked delaware as our midpoint) I would like to invite the priest but due to budget issues and our invite list being already 20 people over, im not sure if we can- but if it is big no no we will do it...So do you invite the priest automatically?

Re: Someone may have already asked this but...

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You really should invite them as they are playing a very large role in your day. Most priests will decline the invitation anyway, but I think the gesture is important.
  • jimanderinjimanderin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok thats what i thought but wasnt sure if there was some rule about it thanks!
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    ditto Riss

riss, PM
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did and would have been delighted if he had attended.  However, as he didn't know anyone at the wedding other than H and me and as priests are already so darned busy, he did not attend the reception.

Disclaimer: I am not advising you to invite people under the assumption that they will not attend.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    its proper etiquette to invite the priest.
    if he doesnt know you well, he might not attend.  he might have other obligations.

he should also be invited to your RD.
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have nothing new to add, except that I think your engagement pics (the 2 I can see, anyway) are super cute :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad you asked this...I had the same question!
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely send him an invite. And if you are having a Deacon present, send him one as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards